R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: amek 9098i cib or neve 8801  (Read 12871 times)

vdz415

amek 9098i cib or neve 8801
« on: February 02, 2008, 09:18:46 AM »

i am looking into a new channel strip
my friend keeps on recommending the amek 9098 purepath cib
so i found a one for $1500
but for some reason that neve 8801 just to have something different then what he has
and try it out first.
i want to see anyone have any suggestion that had used the new ams neve 8801 ?
which one do you think would be best for vocals since thats what i'm mainly using it for? thank you

tom eaton

Re: amek 9098i cib or neve 8801
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »

Do you want a box designed by Neve or one with his name on it?

Be aware of fan noise with CIB.

-t

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 02:05:45 PM »

I'd rather have one of these:

http://www.mercenary.com/api76chst.html
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 05:46:37 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 02 February 2008 14:05

I'd rather have one of these:

http://www.mercenary.com/api76chst.html

Absolutely.

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:29:23 AM »

Wait until you guys try the 8801!!!  The things you can do with the internal routing are incredible!!!  The 7600 is indeed very cool... but without several of them and a 7800 you're missing half of what you're paying for with the 7600 while the 8801 is all there and then some.

The EQ is on par the with the CIB, the compressor/gate [dynamics section] is world's better than the dynamics in the CIB... plus, you can side chain the filters or the EQ to the dynamics and change the order of eq and dynamics in the signal path [a modification I had Rupert do to my CIB until I realized I hated the compressor more than I loved the EQ].

To me, the 8801 is pretty much the one thing that the current AMS/Neve group has put out that is a stone cold home run!!

As always, YMMV.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

vdz415

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 04:34:15 PM »

ordered the 8801 yesterday from mercenary
hope the policy sticks because i got
the guitar center guys to give it to me for 2800 out the door but if dont like it i would have to pay a restocking fees so

J.J. Blair

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 06:05:14 PM »

GC Pro charges a restocking fee?  I though they had a no questions asked return policy?  That's total bullshit.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

vdz415

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »

the gc retail store not gc pro

J.J. Blair

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »

Mercenary is not corporate owned anyway.  Give them your money instead.
studio info

Blenn

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 04:35:44 AM »

I have two of these units. Neither have fans! (although I'm a fan)

Must be the last generation models. However I'm with fletcher on this. The Compressor is bland - yeah it works but it's not special. The EQ is absolutely wonderful and I find the pre's, though a tad neutral, to be excellent quality - they just lack something that makes me smile. They just work.

Paul

M Carter

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 08:56:35 AM »

vdz415 wrote on Sun, 03 February 2008 15:34

ordered the 8801 yesterday from mercenary
hope the policy sticks because i got
the guitar center guys to give it to me for 2800 out the door but if dont like it i would have to pay a restocking fees so

I doubt you'll be disappointed by the 8801 OR Mercenary's service.

Matt
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248

Fletcher

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 04:14:14 PM »

Blenn wrote on Sat, 19 April 2008 04:35

However I'm with fletcher on this. The Compressor is bland - yeah it works but it's not special. The EQ is absolutely wonderful and I find the pre's, though a tad neutral, to be excellent quality - they just lack something that makes me smile.

I'm guessing you're talking about the 9098 module and not the 8801?  I quite like the dynamics on the 8801.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Tomas Danko

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 06:57:30 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 21 April 2008 21:14

However I'm with fletcher on this. The Compressor is bland - yeah it works but it's not special. The EQ is absolutely wonderful and I find the pre's, though a tad neutral, to be excellent quality - they just lack something that makes me smile.

I'm guessing you're talking about the 9098 module and not the 8801?  I quite like the dynamics on the 8801.

Peace.

I find the compressor on the 9098 to be pretty much unuseable for vocals. It is way too audible when it kicks in, and in a very non-musical way. The sweet spot when it works is a bitch to dial in, and it easily goes overboard.

The rest of it is very solid and well sounding indeed, albeit a bit on the boring side. I do like the preamp and EQ (especially!) a great deal.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Blenn

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 05:11:51 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 21 April 2008 21:14

Peace.

Sorry - I thought you was referring to the CIB. I'm not a massive fan of it's compressor but love the EQ to bits.

Paul

Fletcher

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 09:30:04 AM »

I don't believe the 9098 has a compressor... I was talking about the CIB which is also based on the audio path of the 9098i console... a lovely sounding desk but with a software driven digital control circuitry behind the VCA based onboard compressor.

I believe the compressor for the CIB was an entirely different design [though it may also be based around a VCA] but the sorry fact is that it came out sounding pretty "eh" at best.

The dynamics in the 8801 are a whole different story... and to this reporter, a significantly superior unit.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 16 queries.