R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus Digimax FS Word Clock Master to Korg D16XD Slave anybody doing this?  (Read 4337 times)

Silverback

I am looking to see if anyone has tried to use their Digimax FS as a Master word clock for the Korg D16XD Multi-Track recorder. I am trying to determin if the Korg DIB-8 word clock accessory card is having a problem with external word clock mode. I am just concerned with the external word clock mode to the Digimax FS ONLY. All other clock modes are working correctly.
When I use external word clock mode on the D16XD the signal from the Digimax FS into the input channels of the Korg D16XD goes to -20db on the Korg meters and the channels become misaligned.
The trims on the FS are completely off and the -20db signal sounds like a open channel on a analog mixer with the trim at 2-3 o'clock. It's not like a mismatched clock sample sound.
The misalignment is; Mic Pre 1 on the Digimax FS goes to Channel 2 on the Korg D16XD, an Mic Pre 2 goes to channel 1. The signal is transfered over optic cables. The inputs on the Korg are set correctly
Note: I have tried the same setup with MOTU 828 MKII and Digital Performer with exactly the same results. A -20db signal on the meters and misaligned input channels on the Korg.
I have contacted Korg about this but I would like see if some has these two units and would try the connection and tell me if it worked for them and what they did to accomplish the correct setup.
It usely follows that a list of questions of things to try and make sure I am setting up and connecting the devices correctly. I have gone through a list already. I am open to hear much of it again and any thing new. Silverback

Silverback

I would like post that my word clock issue has been resolved. Korg has, under warranty, replaced the DIB-8 Word Clock / ADAT accessory for the D16XD recorder. I have tested the unit as master and 1st and 2nd slave (I sure hate these terms); ADAT running in both directions, with the Presonus Digimax FS and the MOTU 828 MKII. The clock and ADAT held stable in all cases.
Interesting note: When using the MOTU 828MKII with either the Digimax FS or the D16XD I hear the harsh mismatched sample frequency sound associated with switching the clock. This does not occur when the 828MKII is clocked with the FS and the D16XD. All I hear is quite popping when switching. So I have set the 828MKII to be 1st slave. I do no know if this is because there is the 75ohm termination switch on FS and D16XD or it could be protocol driven?
I did enjoy testing the word clock on these units. I have been having a problem clocking my Alesis QS8.1 keyboard to the Korg DIB-8. It would not lock or the ADAT would work in only one direction and it would occasionally pop. So I locked QS8.1 externally to the Digimax FS and the ADAT input to the FS. I came out of the FS’s DAC output and in to the Korg D16XD line inputs. Note: The QS8.1 digital is 16 bit at 48k. Although this sounds redundant, I benefited from the current clock technology of the FS, better sound image, and the units were quite, even with the level hitting -6db on the D16XD meters. Also I could set the Korg D16XD to 24/48 or 24/ 96. I have one or two other units that I would like to try, that digital @ 16 bit.  
Thank you and success with your issues.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 16 queries.