R/E/P > Whatever Works

"YES !! IT IS ALL ABOUT OUR CHILDREN !"

(1/1)

mitgong:
The title of this thread is a quote from Ross, who is hosting what is fast becoming my favorite forum ever.

I've got it pretty easy: I have a lot of autonomy at a cool studio in a small town.  I see my perfect kids and spouse almost every day, and I usually get weekends off (during the school year).  It's the "almost" and "usually", though, that set our line of work apart from many others, even in this era of 10 hour days and hour-long commutes for the cubicle bound desk jockeys that keep our Wal Marts afloat.

How do you other soundgeeks with family manage it?  Especially you city-bound world traveller types who regularly work on the Bitch Slap records.  I can't even imagine how the live-sound nomads do it (which is why I stopped).  

Is the money enough?

As a corollary:  Do you ever feel guilty about loving your work so much that you miss dinner sometimes?

An aside for Ross:  "Life's Rich Pageant"?!  Gold star for you!!

j.hall:
this is the exact reason my wife told me i had to build the mix room in my basement.

when my work started shifting from making records start to finish to just mixing the door opened for me to actually afford a good sounding (not perfect) room of my own.  

i come from two certifiable work-aholic parents, and it must be genetic......i typically work a minimum of 60 hours a week on all the various things i've got going on.

my wife and i agreed that i need to find a way to be home more for our son to know his father.

the solution was to build out a good mix room in my basement

that way i can take a break when needed, he can come down there with me......i'll just be there

other then that, i've had to learn to say no, and "it's time to go guys, i have to get home."

it's really hard.

Fibes:
So true.

Since quitting the touring thang I prolly see my wife and kids less. I wish that weren't the case but it's the reality right now. Getting bitched at for going offshore fishing in my off hours is my cross to bear. Bringing home some sushi grade tuna always softens the blow back at the dock. If she didn't love sushi I'd be a dead man. Thank Mithra for friends with boats, hitting the open ocean for 24+ hours is a nice way to unwind and clear your head. Not half as cool as hangin' with the kids, but they aren't always "peaceful and calming." Then again, neither is the ocean.

I'm so glad to be a part of a forum that stresses people (and their interaction) as much as it does gear. Because the gear doesn't make the music, the people do.

n8ontrike:
I am glad to see that you all put your families first. Priorities are everything even for rockstar AE's. God, family (and friends that are family), and music. That's how it works for me.

I am coming off eight years of the band thing to pursue my inner AE, and there is a local engineer that has it down, full setup built into the bottom level (of three) of his home that has absolutely inspired me that it can be done.

And he's no slouch. If you've heard the band Pillar, you've heard some of Travis Wyrick's gifting for hard rock/metal.

It's guys like all of you that show me it can be done, and done well.

Thanks,
n8

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version