R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buzz in a Pro Tools system  (Read 2531 times)

Extreme Mixing

Buzz in a Pro Tools system
« on: May 13, 2004, 12:14:14 PM »

One of my producers has a new buzz in his Pro Tools system.  It has been up and running for about 8 months with no problems.  Then suddenly this buzz.

We get it with just the Control and the Gelelecs on.  It is not coming from the output of 888/24.  I can send any of those outputs to the cue system and they come up clean.  When I select follow monitors the buzz appears in the phones.

This started suddenly.  Are there any power supply issues in the Control 24 that could cause this?  Anyone have a similar problem?

Thanks,

Steve

j.hall

Re: Buzz in a Pro Tools system
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 09:55:46 AM »

i worked at a studio with 24 channels of pro control and mackie speakers.  we had this same problem.

i think the fix had something to do with many phone calls to digi tech support, getting them to admit to a problem, and sending the procontrol master section back to them to get fixed.

if the control 24 is anything like a pro control......that's the biggest pile of crap on the planet.  i have never used a control surface that was so poorly designed, and manufactured ever before that, and that includes mackie.

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 01:50:16 PM »

Just to let everyone know, I took the Control 24 in and they replaced the power supply, at no charge, despite the fact that the unit is almost 3 years old and clearly out of warranty.  We only had to pay $35 for the same day rush charge at Advanced Electronics.  The C-24 was in the shop at 11am and I picked it up at 5 pm.  The problem was fixed completely, and cheerfully.

I don't think this is a great opportunity for Digi bashing.  Those of you who feel that Digi quality is beneath you should use other gear.

But thanks anyway, JHall...

Steve

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 11:06:19 AM »

all i'm saying is, for the price they charge for that control surface, it shouldn't have a PSU problem that keeps coming up with MANY, MANY users.  and they could have at least put some decent pots on the control room level outs.  i'm just calling a spade, a spade.

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 12:40:31 PM »

I bought a GML EQ several years ago.  It was in the shop at least 3 times to replace bad opamps.  It seems they had a bad run, and had no way of identifying them until they went out.  They always fixed it at no charge.  Shall we call that a spade, too?

I have an Avalon 2055 that had bad pots from a defective batch.  Is that a spade?

Things happen.  What counts is how the company responds to problems.  I'll count this as a good experience.

Personally I mix with a mouse on my Mix++++ rig, through a Coleman Audio M3, so the whole surface is unnecessary for me.  But I wouldn't say the whole thing is crap.  $4000 for 24 motorized faders, 16 preamps, a control room section with ext inputs and speaker switching is not such a bad deal. is it?  Check out the price of a Euphonix controller sometime.

By the way, the control room level is acutally a digital control.  That's why it has the level steps as you turn it down.  It's not a flaw, it's just the way it works.

Steve

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 01:42:16 PM »

Extreme Mixing wrote on Mon, 17 May 2004 11:40

I bought a GML EQ several years ago.  It was in the shop at least 3 times to replace bad opamps.  It seems they had a bad run,

a bad run of a a single component is a far stretch from simply supplying a bad component

Quote:

Things happen.  What counts is how the company responds to problems.  I'll count this as a good experience.

yes things happen, and i'd agree with you totally......

Quote:

By the way, the control room level is acutally a digital control.  That's why it has the level steps as you turn it down.  It's not a flaw, it's just the way it works.

well, as i mentioned earlier.....my experience (and every one i know that uses digi control surfaces) are using pro controls.  and that master section is complete garbage.  i'm not the only person that has had trouble.  and apparently the PSU issue has crossed over to the control 24's.  

i'm not digi bashing (i haven't brought up any other issues here) i merely tried to point out that the control surface has issues, and it surprises that it still has some of the same issues

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.