R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good, Honest Brokers for Used Gear  (Read 3128 times)

Trumpetman2

Good, Honest Brokers for Used Gear
« on: May 13, 2004, 10:42:42 am »

Laughing Harvey:  Help!  Do you have any good source?  I used to buy from HTICS, but it seems they are now "too busy" to deal with clients.....

John Ivan

Re: Good, Honest Brokers for Used Gear
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 08:16:51 am »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Thu, 13 May 2004 09:42

Laughing Harvey:  Help!  Do you have any good source?  I used to buy from HTICS, but it seems they are now "too busy" to deal with clients.....

Hi there;

Well ,I'm not Harvey but I'll take a stab at this. There are a lot of good people to deal with all around the country. I tend to avoid big box stores but that's just me. I know you can find great deals on most small stuff at these stores but I like to spend my money with small businesses as locally as I can. One really important thing to me is service. I am willing to pay a few more bucks to know who I'm dealing with. If I have a problem with something,I want to know where the buck stops. I have not purchased much in the way of gear for a long time but this year,I'm building a new room and I've heard nothing but great things about some folks. People love doing biz with Mercenary Audio, I've got a good friend {tech} at Vintage King audio, I've heard great things about Randy Blevens Audio Exchange. CBI cable has done an out standing job making cable stuff for me in the past. Markertek Broadcast supply is great for some stuff. I still order all my strings and guitar stuff from the little music store in my home town of Traverse city Michigan ,Mr. GIG'S Music. They will get my guitar biz for life no matter where I live because of how they treat people. There are lot's of good people trying to keep small shops up and running. It's worth helping them do that. Ask around your neck of the woods. Call the local bigger studios and talk to the engineers there and find out who they like. It's not so different then shopping for a good mouth piece :-}
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Trumpetman2

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 01:24:48 pm »

Very Happy  Rolling Eyes  Laughing Ivan:  Thanks man.  I agree w/you; unfortunately the DC area (where I live) is nothing but a great big giant federal office building!  Unlike NY, there are no real pro music shops here and music is something the "Washington intelligenzia" believes should be provided free to the various clubs and political fundraisers around town.  I played trumpet in a great jazz band (Thad Wilson big band) at the One Step Down Club in Georgetown (now defunct!) and we practically played for free...this is the sad reality in this heartless town of "big-headed Bureaucrats!"

I thank God however, that I am very lucky to have another very well paid profession or I would be living in somebody's basement as many of my musician friends do...that might be "interesting and hip" when you are 20, but when you are pushing 60, it ain't so cute!

Hey, sorry for the soapbox, but this has been a frustration of mine for a while.  Back to the audio shops - HTICS is a "mom and pop" broker out of PA, however, it seems like they have also been infected with the "DC virus"....after having bought quite a few used pro pieces from them, I can't seem to get an answer from them on other pieces I want to buy...go figure..

I like Mercenary, but I have a home studio and I record my own jazz quartet ONLY for personal enjoyment...I can't really justify buying the $100,000 stuff that they sell.  I'll give Blevens and Vintage King a try and let you all know how it went.

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 02:44:29 pm »

What kind of stuff are you looking for? Pre's, Comp's Mic's? I find that one place dosen't do it. I like to find people who sort of carry one or two bags of stuff but do it really well. One place might be really great at consoles and patchbays and another shop might be into mic's and pre's. You'll find someone ,I'm sure. What is your home rig like?

EDIT: I forgot to ad, Have you written to that store and said "hey,I'm trying to give you money. Do you want it or not?" I know you should not have to do this but, If you like the place it might be worth a shot.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Trumpetman2

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 04:25:59 pm »

Embarassed Ivan:  Just different things..right now I was interested in upgrading my board, a Soundcraft M12, and HTICS had a Yammie PM 1000, which Fletcher says is the shit.. I probably will end up calling them or writing.  I usually e-mail them and I know they receive it because after 3-4 messages they fired a reply saying that they were real busy and would get back w/me...that was last month!

Anyway, I'll private messg. you later and tell you how I do my recordings, but I'll give you some specifics of some of the stuff I have.  It includes:

Soundcraft M12 mixer
2 older 16 channel Mackies I don't use anymore
Grace Design 101
Racked pair of Ward Beck 740D mic pres
Presonus MP-20 mic pre
one RNC cop
one Audioarts 1400 comp
one Valley People Dyna-Mite comp/limiter
one DBX 266
Shure SM7
T.H.E. lollypop condenser
Rode NTK tube
Oktava 012s
Oktava M319
Sennheiser 421

All that goes into a Tascam DA38, is mixed thru board w/various processors and is fed to an Alesis Masterlink wher I cut the finished mix.  I think the tracks are pretty good, but I am losing something when I mix thru the cheapo board...any recommendations on routing/equipment?

McAllister

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 09:51:05 pm »

I had problems working with Randy Blevins.
Other folks report fine, above board dealings.

As I'd prefer not to drag all this out, PM me if you'd like to know more.

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

flamethrowerstudios

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 11:00:24 pm »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Thu, 13 May 2004 09:42

I am not Harvey, but...

I emailed HTCIS about a console once.  When I got their reply I couldn't for the life of me remember who they were and had to look in my sent items folder to figure it out.  THREE months it took them to reply.  Needless to say I had totally forgotten about them.  I emailed them back thanking them for "Getting back to me so promptly".  Then about 10 mins later (and this is what kills me) I got some lame defensive email about how they were/are too busy for email, and maybe I should understand blah, blah, blah.

Complete joke that place.  All I know is if I had something on their website that they were "brokering" for me-and they take three months to answer email-furious would be about the right word.

Wow!  Guess I was more angry about this than I first realized.

Back to your topic:  Someone that knew I was looking for a Neotek refered me to soundbrokers.com.  Mike at Sytek confirmed that the console was a decent deal, so I went for it.  Jan seemed like a smart and fair guy in my own dealings with him.  I would do business with Jan again.

Best,

John

fishtop

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 11:13:41 pm »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Sat, 15 May 2004 18:24

Very Happy  Rolling Eyes  Laughing Ivan:  Thanks man.  I agree w/you; unfortunately the DC area (where I live) is nothing but a great big giant federal office building!  Unlike NY, there are no real pro music shops here

Have you been to Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in
Wheaton MD? It sure looks like a real pro music shop to
me. And they have spun off Washington Professional
Systems, for really high-end, installation and consulting.

For generic used gear, I like Atomic Music on Route 1 in
college park MD. 9035 Baltimore Ave College Park, MD 20740
Looks like someone's attic. Plus they
have a great 70% deal, anything you buy, they will buy
back for anything else in the store at 70% of what
you paid. I don't know what could be more fair,
you buy it, use it for a year, and then swap up.

Granted, Atomic has more guitars and amps, but they do
have some mixers, mics, preamps and effects. It changes all
the time.

Trumpetman2

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 07:38:12 am »

Cool  Shocked Thanks for the replies all!  I see HTICS has a history of problems...too bad, but I'll try other sources you suggested, such as Soundbrokers.  As to Levin's I have dealt for years w/Roger Kyper in the trumpet section and he is amazing, a real good guy!  I get a different vibe (very negative) from their pro audio shop...I guess they don't have a good rep there...

Didn't know about Atomic music; I'll check them out.

fishtop

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 10:06:59 pm »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2004 12:38

As to Levin's I have dealt for years w/Roger Kyper in the trumpet section and he is amazing, a real good guy!  I get a different vibe (very negative) from their pro audio shop...I guess they don't have a good rep there...

Didn't know about Atomic music; I'll check them out.

Yeah, I like the trumpet and guitar shops at Chuck's better
than the Pro Music section. Don't know why, but the
vibe is different.

Vibe at atomic is a riot. I always leave money there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up