R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget Preamps: SP VTB1 vs. M-Audio DMP3  (Read 4405 times)

smykes

Budget Preamps: SP VTB1 vs. M-Audio DMP3
« on: May 12, 2004, 08:13:14 PM »

M-Audio DMP3
Studio Projects VTB1

Anyone used both of these?  Seen all right reviews for both and was wondering which was preferred in these parts.  Also is the DMP3 rackable?  Thanks in advance.  The gear being used with them will be Studio Projects C1, Shure SM 57, AKG C1000S, Behringer ECM8000s etc.  My current preamps are those offered by my MOTU 828 rev 1.  They will be used to record acoustic guitar, vocals, electric guitar, violin, upright bass, etc...

hargerst

Re: Budget Preamps: SP VTB1 vs. M-Audio DMP3
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 08:23:57 PM »

smykes wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 19:13

M-Audio DMP3
Studio Projects VTB1

Anyone used both of these?  Seen all right reviews for both and was wondering which was preferred in these parts.  Also is the DMP3 rackable?  Thanks in advance.  The gear being used with them will be Studio Projects C1, Shure SM 57, AKG C1000S, Behringer ECM8000s etc.  My current preamps are those offered by my MOTU 828 rev 1.  They will be used to record acoustic guitar, vocals, electric guitar, violin, upright bass, etc...

I have both here.  I'll try to do a direct comparison next time I'm in the studio (probably a few days from now).
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Buzz

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 04:55:09 PM »

I have a VTB1 and when I run bass direct into it it sounds like it's farting !!!!!!!!!! , I've tried several different settings ( no tube /tube /low levels /etc. ) still sounds bad to me. I haven't tried the M-Audio unit so ????? , I get a much better sound going direct into my Sytec mic pre ( I know low impedance ??) then into a 1176ln than any other way currently ( lose some top end but has a KILLER bottom , trade off for now )

Any suggestions on a good direct box Harvey  

Later
Buzz

PS: how about the old fet box from Countryman Assoc.  

hargerst

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 12:25:36 AM »

Buzz wrote on Thu, 13 May 2004 15:55

I have a VTB1 and when I run bass direct into it it sounds like it's farting !!!!!!!!!! , I've tried several different settings ( no tube /tube /low levels /etc. ) still sounds bad to me. I haven't tried the M-Audio unit so ????? , I get a much better sound going direct into my Sytec mic pre ( I know low impedance ??) then into a 1176ln than any other way currently ( lose some top end but has a KILLER bottom , trade off for now )

Any suggestions on a good direct box Harvey  

Later
Buzz

PS: how about the old fet box from Countryman Assoc.  

We use everything from the DI from the Milinia Media SST-1 to the Great River to the RNP and they all work very well for bass.  I had the chance to try the SansAmp Bass DI box recently and that worked very well too. We also have an SVT-III rack mount bass preamp that gets a workout in the small studio very often.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Ted, the bass player

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 12:07:58 PM »

Being a bassist, perhaps I can lend a useful opinion here from my experiences, or maybe not.

When I record, I usually use a Demeter VTBP-201 bass pre-amp(the older 1 1/2 rack space ones with the Jensens). The sound is superb, with clarity in both the low and high end. These can be had for about $400. Remember that tube selection can effect the end result of what you hear with this though.

Keeping in mind that $400 is a bit more than the examples you laid out, I have used the Sansamp Bass driver on occasion. My impression is that this is an excellent unit also, but tends to color the sound of the bass a bit. It is still clean (if you want- you can distort it though), but seems a bit darker in tone. It is considered by many bassists a unit they can't live without- I have seen live rigs that just use this as the pre-amp all the way to pure studio use.

Ted

cominginsecond

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 05:56:10 PM »

I have the DMP3, and I think it's a great two channel unit for the money. Tons of clean gain. Not as focused sounding as my Summit Audio 2BA-221, but nice nonetheless, especially considering that you can get them for around $150 for two channels.

bellulah

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 07:46:40 AM »

hey, i wasn't gonna post, but i wanna throw in a good vote for the vtb-1...

yeah, it's not so hot for running bass direct.  kinda does sound like a dirty ass.

however- it smokes as a vocal mic pre.  that tube blend thing that you can make happen will add just enough colour IF YOU WANT IT.  but if you don't want it, don't use it!  that's what's great about this pre.  sometimes you want the colour and others you don't, and this gives you that option.  plsu, the box provides more than enough makeup in gain when needed.

good luck with the descision!!
joshua

gtoledo3

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 12:14:59 PM »

My girlfriend got me a vtb-1 for christmas.

All I can say is "ehh".

It has a pronounced upper mid and treble, that almost sounds eq-ed to me. The tube distortion function is ok.

I have found it to be useable for running my roland xp-80 into, when I am using rhodes or wurlitzer type patches.

Bass d.i..... I wouldn't say it was "farty" sounding, but it made the bass sound kind of like it was strung with rubber bands (musicman stingray).

I used it for the "attack" part of a bass miking setup- with a beta 52. The other mic was a royer r84 a couple feet back, through a sytek.

So, even though I am not fond of it's bottomless, peaky sound, it can actually be useable when you want something to be kind of aggressively in the upper mids (1-4k to my ears).

One more note- when I get something new, I always try to track a 30 second - 1 minunte "piece"... a little instrumental thing, all with whatever the piece of equipment is, to really see how multiple tracks build up. Well, with the vtb-1, I have to say, that you cannot use it indescriminately, b/c it will be a clusterfuck. It is "unfocused" in sound, and tracks with it kind of take up too much space.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.