R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tascam 52 1/4" 2-track  (Read 3308 times)

Family Hoof

Tascam 52 1/4" 2-track
« on: May 12, 2004, 03:33:58 AM »

Anyone know anything about this machine? Got one in exchange for some consulting and I'm unable to crack it open or give a run through right now. Don't have the manual either but I'm not sure if I'll need it. Made in 1983 or so, all the usual features of a beige Tascam R2R from the 80s 4 and 5 series. Looks like this.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this. I still haven't figured out these new boards.
~Jens J.

John Klett

Re: Tascam 52 1/4" 2-track
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 07:41:49 PM »

Tascam 50 series are pretty solid and good sounding machines - the only better sounding two tracks were in the ATR-60 series
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

Family Hoof

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 09:53:22 PM »

Cool! Thanks John. I'll post an update when I get the chance to play with it.
~Jens J.

Family Hoof

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 03:39:16 AM »

Well I got a chance to mess with it. One of the channels won't pass audio and I think it's a cold solder somewhere along the ground of the input (unbalanced RCA - the XLRs & conversion circuitry feed off the RCA jacks). Haven't tracked it down yet and aside from that the repro head doesn't work either and just hums - would this be a problem with magnetization or one of the factory set adjustments on a channel PCB being incorrect? Nevertheless, I've tested the working channel with some GP9 @ +3, 7.5 ips and it sounds great. Transport's in great shape.
Looking for a service manual. Will call Tascam and some wewbsite company later this week - unless anyone else knows a source?
~Jens J.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.