R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo Comp on the 2-Buss?  (Read 13691 times)

Fibes

Re: Stereo Comp on the 2-Buss?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2004, 10:16:27 AM »

Mixerman,

I think if you read the last paragraph you quoted from Ross again, you might see that you are both on the same page. I agree about making those decisions early, hell, sometimes I start with the 2buss comp, there are times that, if used properly that's all you need. OTOH (like Ross was saying) if you are inexperienced and unsure, it MIGHT be a good idea to not fuck things up at the 2 buss.
Your arguement that mixing is an attitude makes sense and we've all made our fair share of mistakes getting to the level we are currently at. I take chances, get bit on the ass quite frequently. You've only heard one of my mixes "Blatchford" and it was louder than a cow pissing on a flat rock in Arizona. That method is not the normal lay of the land in my shop although Brad may state otherwise.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Mixerman

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2004, 11:34:19 AM »

Fibes wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 07:16

Mixerman,

OTOH (like Ross was saying) if you are inexperienced and unsure, it MIGHT be a good idea to not fuck things up at the 2 buss.

If you're inexperienced and unsure, it DEFINITELY would be a good idea to fuck things up at the 2-bus, so that you can become experienced.

Mixerman
Now available! The Daily Adventures of Mixerman & Zen and the Art of Mixing!

Mixerman.net
The Womb Forums
Facebook Page
Mixerman Radio Show

Invisible Member

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2004, 12:02:41 PM »

I hope I don't muddy this up too much. Ive read a good portion of both sides of the 2 bus compression here and the other places mixerman alluded to. I believe that the issue has become clouded because people react to the worst case scenarios where "maximizing" and "limiting" have occurred as a default setting rather than listening to see what the mix needs from the mixers perspective. I see alot of newbies who are looking for cookie cutter preset answers and once advice has been given it spreads like wildfire. As soon as a "maximized setting" is noted in an article in MIX or Home Recording Mag by a popular mixer or producer then the newbie forgets each song and each phrase has specific needs and not global presets. As Ive developed or refined mixing over the last couple of years Ive absorbed alot of people thoughts and opinions and my earlier dogmatism slowly erroded away. Dogmatisms from when I interned because I did not understand that I was being taught suggestions and not hardlined rules. Recently Joe Chiccarelli said the samething Mixerman did about mixing and I believe it goes right to the heart of the problem. People are afraid to commit because that lack confidence in what they are doing. Will it meet the expectations of their peers? People are afraid to fail and so the safe route seems best. Fletcher basically shattered me at the Artispro site in regards to guitar tone and trying to satisfy what "other" thought. It simply liberated me and allowed me to have an attitude.
It was the turning point for me where I believe the idea translates into every aspect or recording, mixing and mastering.

If your not happy with it whats the point of asking other people?

Twist the knobs until you like the result. If it works for you then great. If you don't like it then solicit folks for help.

Peace,
Dennis

Fibes

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2004, 12:22:45 PM »

Mixerman wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 11:34

Fibes wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 07:16

Mixerman,

OTOH (like Ross was saying) if you are inexperienced and unsure, it MIGHT be a good idea to not fuck things up at the 2 buss.

If you're inexperienced and unsure, it DEFINITELY would be a good idea to fuck things up at the 2-bus, so that you can become experienced.

Mixerman

I wouldn't leave it solely to the inexperienced and unsure, there are plenty of old pros who do it as well. Their odds of success are a hell of a lot better...

We do need to keep limiting and compression in different camps.

The project i'm working on currently is a bit of an experiment, I'm taking three approaches: ITB, ITB with stems and 2 buss compression in the analog realm and mixing stems and mults on my less than stellar board with 2 buss compression as required. This is an entirely different debate at first glance but to be honest, the three methods take drastically different approaches at the 2 buss.
Fibes
The Studio

pg666

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2004, 02:19:09 PM »

threads like this kind of surprise me. the general consensus seems to be "you're better off compressing the mix than letting the ME do it because your recording will come back sounding very different". ok, i'm not an ME, but it seems to me that the first thing a decent ME would want to avoid was altering the mix radically.. ok, so why then are we encouraged to mix 'defensively'? what if you don't like the SOUND of buss compression period, should you (i) just be assuming the ME is gonna compress it by default?? i mean, subtle dynamic control is one thing because good places have equipment that can probably do that pretty transparently, but the point of this tread keeps saying "it'll come back quite different if you don't do it".. what the heck? are these people taking INTENTIONALLY uncompressed mixes that the band/engineer are happy with and running it through a Fatso or something? just seems odd to me

thestudio

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2004, 11:52:23 AM »

If you want to compress the 2buss then do it!!! live and learn...

Isn't funny how many new Mastering studio's are popping up everywhere including this site which all know what's best for your project Laughing  I agree with "Mixerman" on the point that most Master engineers want to remix the mix and not just get correct levels and fix certain frequency problems. Rolling Eyes

thestudio

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2004, 12:06:48 PM »

Mixerman,

"Mixing is an attitude.

Waiting like a pansy to see if someone else, who also has no clue how to mix, can somehow make the mix good with some compression is NOT an attitude. Quite the opposite really."

Dead nuts on target!!!!

I think most New Mastering studio's are people who have the money to purchase all the "Political Correct" equipment and feel they have the knowledge to master gold records. These Master engineers use the site to get business and to get deals on equipment and always says " I couldn't live without this piece of gear" just watch the people suck it up......... Razz

bblackwood

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2004, 12:35:13 PM »

thestudio wrote on Thu, 20 May 2004 10:52

Isn't funny how many new Mastering studio's are popping up everywhere including this site which all know what's best for your project. I agree with "Mixerman" on the point that most Master engineers want to remix the mix and not just get correct levels and fix certain frequency problems.  

It's not just the new guys, either. Many guys who have been around a while will tell the mixer to leave the commpression to them. I don't get it - you'd think everyone knows that the best possible outcome of mastering is when the mastering engineer has to do nothing!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Fibes

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2004, 02:04:06 PM »

Quote:

I don't get it - you'd think everyone knows that the best possible outcome of mastering is when the mastering engineer has to do nothing!

Yep.

I suppose the real problem is when the ME should do something and is bound by too much limiting.
Fibes
The Studio

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 16 queries.