R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP16 discussion  (Read 28827 times)

T. Goodwin

Re: IMP16 discussion
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2008, 06:27:17 PM »

SingSing wrote on Mon, 21 January 2008 16:45

TGoodwin
The lead vox ducks because of the limiter. This one really slaughters the original tracks. I like your kick, but I can't really hear the bass. The snare sounds like a highpitched conga. The lead vox might have an OK sound, but it's hard to hear since it's buried most of the time. The harmony is almost louder during the chorus.

Had I not been busy this week, I definitely would have started this    completely over. I got to the point where I was trying to fix the mistakes I made earlier, making even more mistakes, repeat ad nauseam.

For future reference and for the help of an extreme amateur, how would one go about fixing the limiting problems without sacrificing the entire track's volume? I suppose automating the threshold would work, or just bringing up the vocal further back in the process.

audio~geek

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »

I de-essed the vocals and I even automated the annoying parts. It still sticks out.
I'm thinking I did something in my 'mastering' to wreck it all.

J can I post an 'unmastered' version? maybe without the tapestop cheese too?

DCombs

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2008, 06:48:02 PM »

hey i just want to say this is my first mix for this site. my names drew...and love the input.

(introduction complete?)
I'm a certified pants technician.

Podgorny

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2008, 07:14:23 PM »

SingSing wrote on Mon, 21 January 2008 15:45

I don't know if my computer has messed things up, but your ID3-tag is Telesound/openeyes6loud and filename is imp16-GrantRichard.mp3. Then the mix from Podgorny has an ID3-tag that says Grant Richard/IMP16. I guess everything is in order, but just to be sure....

Hey Stefan,

My tag only says that because that's what I entered before making the mp3.  If Grant says the artist's name is Telesound and the song is called "openeyes6loud", then I guess that's what it's called.

And umm, what, no review of my mix?
Well let tell you what I think of YOUR mix.

I like it.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

maxim

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2008, 07:36:43 PM »

"I like that acoustic sound, what FX did you use there?"

if i remember correctly, it was just a touch of 5k on the sonalksis eq, a hint of delay and a bunch of dp's plate reverb (i kept adding it until the gtr "popped" out of the mix)

my biggest issue with this mix was the "tuned" vocal

my first reaction was to ditch it altogether

my second reaction was to distort to the point where i could no longer hear the tuning

eventually, i allowed it back into the mix...

j.hall

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »

Audio~Geek wrote on Mon, 21 January 2008 17:47

J can I post an 'unmastered' version? maybe without the tapestop cheese too?

NOPE!

garret

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2008, 12:41:25 AM »

Some comments on the raw tracks, and the mix in general.

-- The song is too damn long... it desperately needed an edit, so I made two.  Looks like a couple other mixers also got out the razor blade.

-- The vocals were really wooly.. anyone else think that?  I had to use a pretty severe high pass and low shelf... more than usual.

-- the guitars were just flawless, drop-in instant final tracks. Good work, Grant.

-- good drum tracks, J... lots of power and fidelity.. I got surprising mileage out of the tom tracks for fill... and the shell tracks are great for accents...

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

garret

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2008, 12:49:44 AM »

And a first batch of reviews...

Greg Dixon.  clean, exceptionally well-balanced mix... no trickery, just lets the tracks shine... only quibble: the counter vox toward the end is dominating over the lead vocal.

carefull collapse. smashy snare.. I love it for a while, then it gets tiring... the overall drum treatment makes the drums sound very lo fi.  They were very well recorded, and here they sound like basement drums.  some out of balance elements.. (guitar riff, panned right at 0:40).   Good freq balance though.. toward the bright side, but it's all there and sounds good.

patrick. lead vox is muffled and getting buried.  Shelf out the mud and bring the level up 2db or so ... otherwise this is a good mix.   The bass is way high... are you mixing on near fields w/o a sub?  

teleric. too much verb on the lead vox, it's getting sent way back in the image.    Maybe some predelay, and shelf out the lows... otherwise this is a good mix.

boedo. sounds good... freq balance is very good... vocals are a touch quiet, and get really buried during some of the transitions.  Counter vox is too loud at the end.. it's not doing enough to justify it having the lead...

mcsnare turn down the drums, mr. mcsnare. (listening blind here, just guessing it's you.. indeed it is)   This is a good mix, except for that... gutsy edits... you're absolutely right, the tune needs to be at least a minute shorter.

osumosan. rawking intro... i love it... whoa sub bass.  The bass seems to be all sub bass?!  I'm hardly able to hear the regular octave...  Put some predelay on the vocal reverb  or just drop the wet level... the lead vocal seems about 15 feet away from me right now.  You're trying a lot of stuff in this, lots of track effects, and I don't think it gels anymore.

billybehdaz. I'm hearing a flam in the drums that I think is a timing mistake... maybe something got slid around... there's a slapback on the snare, very noticeable around 0:21.  The drums are a bit of a let down on this... otherwise the mix isn't too shabby...

Imp16.mp3 (unknown) Balances are off... snare is way hotter than the lead vox... spectral balance is pretty good though...  

drew.   Drums are too loud.  Good clean lead vocal treatment.  Frequency balance is rather scooped... For energy, I need some mids/solidity from something other than the drums.

jason-t. lead vox is clean and under control, but it's getting buried at times.   This isn't glueing together for me, and I think all the right ingredients are there... just get the balance right.

garret. hey that's mine.    Yah, I like this, even after hearing the others...

j.hall. Thunderous drums.. good balanced mix, with tons of energy.  (listening blind: is that you J.hall?, ah indeed).  vocals are a bit quiet, but they sound good.  I like your bridge...
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

UnderTow

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2008, 06:56:32 AM »

UnderTow wrote on Mon, 21 January 2008 20:02

(I hope I don't regret it tomorrow. Heh)

Oops! Pop goes the snare drum...

Alistair

Firefly

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2008, 08:09:13 AM »

I found this forum a couple of months and thought imps were a superawesome idea (especially as i don't get to play with guitars much...well not the ballsy kind anyway) but after much careful vigilance of the forum I completely forgot to check the last couple of weeks! DOH!

Billybehdaz

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43:19 AM »

Firefly wrote on Tue, 22 January 2008 07:09

I found this forum a couple of months and thought imps were a superawesome idea (especially as i don't get to play with guitars much...well not the ballsy kind anyway) but after much careful vigilance of the forum I completely forgot to check the last couple of weeks! DOH!

Feel free to still post mix reviews if you have the time.  I think a 'third party' reviewer would be great as we all have heard our own mixes so much that any critique we give is going to be pretty subjective as we're subconsciously comparing others to our reference mix' in our head.

garret wrote

billybehdaz. I'm hearing a flam in the drums that I think is a timing mistake... maybe something got slid around... there's a slapback on the snare, very noticeable around 0:21. The drums are a bit of a let down on this... otherwise the mix isn't too shabby...

Well I'm 2/2 for dislikes of the 1/16 delay on the snare.  I thought it sounded cool and really filled out the snare, I hardly noticed it except when I muted it.  The fact that you both found it distracting and unnecessary makes me start to doubt my monitoring.....

J-Texas

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »

Which Osumosan am I looking at?
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

osumosan

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »

JT:

Osumosan-fix.mp3 Please, ta! Unless you like the slower version!

j.hall

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »

i've listened to the intro of about 10 submissions.

i think we have some monitoring issues out there.  more notes to follow.

sstillwell

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2008, 12:27:35 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 22 January 2008 10:59

i've listened to the intro of about 10 submissions.

i think we have some monitoring issues out there.  more notes to follow.

Amen...at least I know _I_ do.

*sigh*

Scott
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 19 queries.