R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP16 discussion  (Read 28701 times)

DCombs

Re: IMP16 discussion
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »

i didn't mean for it to sound like that is the only reason yours sounded better, but i'm saying it contributes to why your's was better.

a good solid mix, with the knowledge of what the client wants is a key factor for a mix. your not going to mix a jazz record like a metal album. and i think that knowing what grant was after helped you create an impressive mix, that only you could have done. good work.
I'm a certified pants technician.

J-Texas

« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2008, 03:02:33 PM »

I must say...

I'm COMPLETELY disappointed in the ratio of entries to reviews.

Mixers spent at least a couple of hours working on this tune and there's not one hour left in the last few weeks to do a review of the entries?

Lazy. I don't care if you're up to your ears in work (most of us are), you could do a couple here and a few there.

Very disappointing.  Confused
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

DCombs

« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2008, 08:53:23 PM »

okay hopefully on break tomorrow i will go through what is there. and let ya know. aight?
I'm a certified pants technician.

sstillwell

« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2008, 09:47:01 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Mon, 11 February 2008 14:02

I must say...

Mixers spent at least a couple of hours working on this tune and there's not one hour left in the last few weeks to do a review of the entries?

Lazy. I don't care if you're up to your ears in work (most of us are), you could do a couple here and a few there.

Well, given the response that my mix (deservedly) got, I'm not sure what my review is worth, but I'll give it a go ASAP.

Scott

slash5969

« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2008, 11:06:11 PM »

My apologies for not getting these done sooner. I'm working on final mixes for the band's cd, and there just aren't enough hours in a day right now. Keep in mind that I'm still a rookie at this critical listening stuff, so this is sorta like... my 16-year old son critiquin' Tony Stewart's driving abilities.

1. sstillwell - It's certainly got some sparkle to it. Smile Remember the old stereo receivers that had a "loudness" button? This mix sounds like somebody pushed the button, and I can't help but wonder how good it would have been without the button pushed.. Cymbals over-ride everything to the point of distraction, but underneath I hear some cool stuff going on - you worked the drum parts rather well. Nice impact when you get to the choruses - you pounce on them, which is exactly what the song demanded.

2. Billybehdaz - I like the balance right off. Bottom is solid without being overpowering. I like the acoustic featured through the beginnings of the verses. I'm wanting the choruses to punch harder, or else the verses to ease off a little bit. That beat-box break crackles - I didn't really care for the beat-box thing, but you handled it in a reasonable fashion. Nice harmonies - they gave me fits.

3. Electric Warrior - Mucho mids. I'm wanting some more bottom in the drum kit - it's like the bass is hanging out there all on it's own. Some snare boost around 400hz? Cymbals are hot and in my face. Your harmonies sound like mine - which isn't complimentary to either one of us, I'm afraid.

4. Audio Geek - Here's the bottom that EW misplaced. I'm the last one who should be critiquing vocal treatments on this IMP, so I'll just say that the de-esser is your friend and leave it at that. I wanted more guitars - it's a rock song, innit? Love the tape stop effect - way cool. Joe Hardy did that on the last McClure record and I dug it there too. Killer ending!

5. teleric - Ok, this is groovin'...nice balance to everything. Punch in the drums. Bass is solid. You didn't leave the guitars a little light in the loafers, either. Nice build to the choruses - hit em a little harder and you're there, I think. So far, this mix sounds most like the song sounded in my head. I'm not sure that's good, but there ya have it. Smile

6. grant richard - Drums seem a bit loud overall in the beginning, or else the bass isn't quite loud enough. Guitars need some sense of seperation - they seem to all just kind of pile up in the middle when we get to the choruses. I like the arrangement through the verses. Nice harmonies. In fact, these are the best vocals overall so far.  Nice ending. You worked on this song a lot more than I did, and it definitely shows.

Pause for liquid refreshment and ear rejuvination. Back in a bit.

SingSing

« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »

J-Texas wrote on Mon, 11 February 2008 15:02

I must say...

I agree. I need to get to the second half of the songs. IMP will grow once everyone tries to review the contributions. After all, this is the part where we get the much needed feedback.

One other thing...wouldn't it be interesting if everyone explained their mix? Why we do things, and how we interpret the song. That would perhaps make it easier to critique the mixes. We all have our own reasons for making mix choices and perhaps we judge the others from this personal view.

All the best,

Stefan
SingSing

grantis

« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2008, 10:57:42 AM »

I kind of like that idea. Maybe we could make an "explanation" thread and allow everybody one post, then we lock it up at the same time that the submission thread is locked.

???
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

slash5969

« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2008, 02:26:43 PM »

Ok, back for another round. Same cautions apply.

7. SingSing - Another mix that has a nice balance to it all around. Drum sounds are crisp and perhaps a little antiseptic. I miss the acoustic guitar. I don't miss the beat-box - thanks for omitting it. Disappointing ending, especially when you seem to have worked everything else in the mix. Stronger vocal treatments than most of these mixes seem to have.

8. Thomas F - Where's the bottom? Plenty of mids, but no punch in the kick, no hair on the bass. Sort of an AM approach, like it's geared for top 40 radio through a little 4" dash speaker. Hot cymbals, untuned vocals. Good ending.

9. Boedo Constrictor - Nice. Balanced. Good drum sounds. For raising your mix newly in three hours, you've done well. Good work on the vocals -  they were the Achilles heel for many of these mixes, mine included.

10. Podgorny - Crisp drums. I like. I like the acoustic through the verses. Guitars rock. Beat-box break was rugged - the drag/speed up thing just didn't mesh at all with the rest of the mix.

11. J Texas - I'm diggin' the snare, but wanting some more oomph in the kick. Bass is a little anemic for the song, and I'm wanting less keys and more guitars. Nice vocal treatments, but vocals could be louder overall. Best use of the beat-box so far - a potentially ugly break very tastefully done. Good ending.

12. jhall - Here we go. Great drum sounds, crisp and punchy. Bass drives the tune right down the road. I'd prefer a little less keyboard through the choruses, but that's personal preference. Vocals are spot-on. The acoustic guitar/beat-box combo works really well - why didn't I think of that? Seamless editing and a very nice finish. This is what I aspire to do when I mix - make the sum equal more than all the individual parts.

13. Greg Dixon - Another good one right off. Snare is perhaps a bit hot, but everything feels balanced and solid for the most part. Guitars drive. Bass could come up a bit. Great drum sounds. No hamony is better than untuned harmony. Another nice take on the beat-box portion. Nice ending.

14. slash5969 - Ok, this one is mine - I recognize the intro. I like the drumless start, and I like the acoustic soloed when the vocals start. Drum sounds are pretty good. Bass drives the song. Vocals are over-the-top and not at all what I had in mind, but it is what it is and I'm not going to make excuses. Vocals aside, I like this mix - it's got much more power and balance than my previous IMP entries, and that means I'm progressing.

Ok, another pause for the cause. Back in a bit.

J-Texas

« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »

slash5969 wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 13:26

11. J Texas - I'm diggin' the snare, but wanting some more oomph in the kick. Bass is a little anemic for the song, and I'm wanting less keys and more guitars. Nice vocal treatments, but vocals could be louder overall. Best use of the beat-box so far - a potentially ugly break very tastefully done. Good ending.

David,

Many thanks for checking out my mix. I agree with EVERYTHING that you said. I think that your critique is spot on and more than fair. I knew as soon as I let it go that I wasn't happy. Bass tones  are always the hardest for me to feel comfortable with. Finding that happy medium is key and knowing where to find it comes with practice. Below that point it's "anemic", above that point and it's amateur.

I have to be the ball na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Do you take drugs Dany?

I will stop holding back. I feel like the little engine that could and I can. I've got to get over the hump. I'm not content with being descent or safe. I will strut my stuff... look out!  Smile
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

T. Goodwin

« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2008, 06:04:01 PM »

My thoughts were along the lines of sstillwell's. My evaluations have the potential to be interesting, but as a noted extreme amateur I don't think I have the experience to note anything usefully.

I'd be more than happy to spend the time however, if anyone is interested in what the guy in the corner with the clipboard has to say.

J-Texas

« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2008, 12:25:20 AM »

Thomas F. wrote on Wed, 13 February 2008 17:04

My thoughts were along the lines of sstillwell's. My evaluations have the potential to be interesting, but as a noted extreme amateur I don't think I have the experience to...

Come man! Does it tickle your pickle or what? Don't
Try and make it technical. Make it emotional ... How does it feel?
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

slash5969

« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »

Last batch. Did you miss me?

15. macbraddy – Interesting beginning – perhaps a much better use of the beat-box track than the beat-box break. I like it. Guitars are solid through the choruses. I miss the acoustic through the verses. I like the drum sounds, although the snare is a bit bright for my taste and had to grow on me. Beat-box break now has a certain “deja-vu” vibe to it.  
Nice vocal treatment.

16. Careful Collapse – First impression? Loud and bright. I don’t think the snare sound fits the song very well – it’s too mechanical sounding to my ears. I like the vocals, especially the occasional delays. You pounced on the choruses, and I like that – the song almost seemed to require it.

17. DCombs – Balanced, with great drum sounds. No harmony beats an untuned harmony. Interesting that you’d choose to omit the counter vocal track too. The overall effect was to remove much of the vocal power inherent in the song.

18. garret – I like the editing here, it’s refreshing to my ears after listening to the same arrangement so many times already. You worked the vocals quite a bit and it shows. I would have liked a little more from the counter part, volume-wise. Nice ending, but fade that organ!

19. maxim - Another interesting take here. I like holding the drums out of the intro. I think you held them out too long, though. I "felt" them starting when the bass did. Bass is perfect, fat and solid without overpowering the mix. Kick drum is either all beater or it's clipping - perhaps a little of both? I'm not sure the megaphone vocals work for me - they are the focal point of this song, and intentionally making them "lo-fi" seems counterproductive. I like that you think outside the box, but some of these ideas don't serve the song and should have been left on the drawing board.

20. Patrik T - This took so long to start that I thought something was wrong with the file. Nice impact on the choruses. More kick please, and a bit less cymbal. Good snare - nice pop. Nice work on the vocals. Another nice ending ruined by not fading that organ.

21. fantomas - This is good. Balanced and solid. Cymbals a bit hot, but good drum sounds. Untuned vocals detract from an otherwise rockin' mix.

22. ICombs - Rockin' mix. Drums are crisp and in my face. Nice balance. I like the balls on the kick drum. Sort of a heavy-metal approach but it's working. Standard beat-box break detracts a bit, but hey - you used what was provided so I can't really complain. If you'd worked the vocals, this would have been one of the best ones. Everything else is there.

Boedo Constrictor

« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2008, 09:37:14 AM »

My apologies for not getting these done sooner ( i am really busy in this days, but when it  has a rest I continue with the other entries)
Here are my first tand of reviews in no particular order.

Maxim:
The intro is interesting but it is late too much in to deposit the drums. The audio of the drums does not have the necessary punch to support the interest of the song. The bass is out of context in the parts with not drums. The trick of removing the drums repeats itself too many times.

Fantomas
Good overall balance. The BV its too loud (and out of tune of course) on the chorus and need some compression. I do not agree with the sound of the snare (sounds like in other context). WTF? Ah!!! The Beat Box FX.

iCombs
The drumkit sounds like General Midi kit (Sorry) Wrong samples replacers? The kick has a disturbing sub. Cymbals are too quiet. L-R Balance is not equal.

Greg Dixon
Good balance. Maybe too wide (do you use a spacializer thing?). Nothing hittin´in the center. Vocals are too loud. Acoustic is loud and hard panned so fightin for attention.

CarefulCollapse
The countermelody is not there, interesting. The vibe of the mix (ambiental, lo-fi drums) isn’t work with the tune IMO. Harsh overall tone (especially on the EG´s)

Slash 5869

The whole mix sounds quite nice, perhaps a little muddy. Acoustic gtr treatment is very cool. GTR´s quiet, shaker loud. Vocal fx IT IS NOT COOL.  

Singsing
A solid mix but overcompressed to my ears. The extremes sounds a little fake, like a BBS stuff. Vocals need more clarity maybe carving the mids solve this problem. The rearrangement of the breakdown its interesting, I am not very sure of the edit of countermelody in the outro, sounds weird for me.

Podgorny
Vocals TOO loud, especially on the chorus. I sit that is the only mix that does not grow in the chorus (maybe putting down the vocals?). Fx in the breakdown it´s strange and out of the tune.

Grant Richard
The mix is dark and muddy. The bass is too loud (and more loud in the chorus), it´s fighting whit the kick. Try multiband compression on the bass or less bottom emphasis. Toms are loud and need some treatment, same snare, sounds tinny, maybe a good sample for reforce o replace fix this.Good mix for a self-producer. Vocals balance, fx and tone are good.

Mcsnare
Dude, you don´t need a review. You need a manager!!!
Awesome mix sounds, awesome rearragement... Direct to the Top 40!

Gabriel F

« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2008, 02:55:20 PM »

Boedo gracias por el review. cuando tenga tiempo tengo que empezar a hacer los mios.

Gabriel Fonts.

J-Texas

« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2008, 12:19:03 PM »

fantomas wrote on Fri, 22 February 2008 13:55

Boedo gracias por el review. cuando tenga tiempo tengo que empezar a hacer los mios.

Gabriel Fonts.

I hope that everyone can find the time Gabriel.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.