R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: traveling with mics  (Read 6593 times)

j.hall

traveling with mics
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »

so, my traveling to work is increasing.  seems that the injection of 002's into the market place has finally caught up to bands ever increasing low budgets.  i have no problems with this as i've made records in basements and bedrooms practically my entire career.

a lot of my clients are now deciding that it's worth paying me to come and setup their drums.  this typically goes down pretty fast, so it's still economical to the band.  however, mics seem to be an issue all the time.

so, with that in mind, i've decided to start buying mics for drums (and various other things) once again.

anything i should know about flying with mics in todays rubber glove and KY airport climate?

Iain Graham

Re: traveling with mics
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:28:59 PM »

When I moved over here last summer, I brought my Royers in my hand luggage as I didn't know how the stuff that followed me was really travelling.

I got some funny looks from the airport security guys, and had to take the wrapping off the boxes so they could have a look, but once they'd checked them out they were happy for me to fly with them. By wrapping I mean some thin padding to keep the boxes protected.

That's only 2 mics though, a box of them may be a little tougher. And not flying through the US.
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »

i've traveled with acoustical test equipment years ago, but that stuff all got checked.

i'm a big fan of earthworks mics, and they have a certain look to them that i'm not sure airport security will be into.......then again.....they might want to probe me with one.

Eric H.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »

I'm from Paris but living now in Lisbon, and i often buy mics in france that i bring home after.
of course its different that the USA, but I've never had a problem with mic boxes. once was questioned about small speakers.
i would suggest always carry my mics with me in my hand luggage.
its the only way to be sure there will not be any problems and the mics are well treated (without speaking of lost or crushed baggage)
eric harizanos

cymatics

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »

I haven't flown with gear since before 9/11; but if I was going to do it on a regular basis, I'd opt for the 'stow below' option.  Invest in a solid ATA rated case like this, but hopefully with a more robust lock...

...and hope the airline baggage handling goons don't make off with your gear.

Crying or Very Sad

Hank Alrich

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 11:16:10 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 10 January 2008 18:27

ever increasing low budgets

Oxymoron alert!

tom eaton

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:48:41 PM »

http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/products/prod-detail.php? d=s17&id=308&s=p#

I have one of these SKB military "suitcase" cases, with a pull out handle, roller wheels, etc.

Very tough, waterproof, easy to drag around, very much like most carry on suitcases made nowadays.

Lockable, too.  Highly recommended.  PM me if you have trouble finding one, I have a good source.

You can swing it around and fend off drunks, too.

-tom

j.hall

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 04:03:18 PM »

i have a pelican case that fits in an overhead bin.  it's airtight and waterproof and they claim it can not be broken.

i think i'll see how that works out the first trip.

Phillip Graham

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »

j.hall wrote on Sun, 13 January 2008 16:03

i have a pelican case that fits in an overhead bin.  it's airtight and waterproof and they claim it can not be broken.

i think i'll see how that works out the first trip.

J,

Go search the archives of the live side of PSW, literally dozens of threads on schlepping various X to XYZ location.

As for Pelican cases, they absolutely rule.  Since their warranty is a no questions asked lifetime guarantee, and is transferable, I try to pick up Pelicans used on eBay.

Other than their penchant for alerting thieves to high dollar items, and weight higher than standard luggage, they are fantastic, and not more expensive than name-brand hardside luggage.

I fly with a rolling Pelican, and people always ask me about it.

PS Pelican has interesting product videos on their website.  I like the one where the laptop case survives a round from a twelve gauge  Very Happy
Phillip Graham

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 08:32:56 AM »

I used to fly with a pair of u67s,  I have had to disassemble the mics a few times..

beyer m160  akg414eb  no disassembly request so far...  good luck! j

Chris Ilett

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 09:54:44 AM »

What would make me not miss a flight back from Italy after spending 12 hours in the sodding airport is if you could get a 'license' for the gear you travel with regularly.

Then, when an airport official asks you to line up so he/she can go through every single case you're carrying, you can shove the aforementioned document in his/her face and actually get home on time.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 05:54:14 AM »

Chris Ilett wrote on Mon, 14 January 2008 23:54

What would make me not miss a flight back from Italy after spending 12 hours in the sodding airport is if you could get a 'license' for the gear you travel with regularly.

Then, when an airport official asks you to line up so he/she can go through every single case you're carrying, you can shove the aforementioned document in his/her face and actually get home on time.

Isn't this almost exactly what the Carnet system is?

I have used this a few times - however not post 9/11 - as a part of tv crews and haven't had a problem. The customs guy might still want to take a look at one or two of the high dollar items, but usually they're pretty cool.

At worst, it's been "show me the $75,000 camera, the $25,000 lens, and that audio mixer...ok..serial numbers match...thanks have a good flight" when they could have demanded we open all 20 cases and unpack and re-pack 250kg of gear...

Worth investigating.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Chris Ilett

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 07:01:28 AM »

Nice one. All my ideas are already taken. Like multitrack recording.

j.hall

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »

Phillip Graham wrote on Sun, 13 January 2008 19:38

I fly with a rolling Pelican, and people always ask me about it.

yeah, i get asked about mine all the time.  my favorite was, "hey man, what's in the tool box?"  
-random guy, Richmond, VA

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 05:50:42 AM »

Tools..?..
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.