R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1630 Rig  (Read 2904 times)

djwaudio

1630 Rig
« on: January 10, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »

Anyone looking to dump a 1630 set-up (processor & DMR)? I'm thinking about having one just to have around.
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Mark Donahue

Re: 1630 Rig
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »

Hey Dana,
We have a brand new freshly re-built BVU-800DA and several of our custom 1630's sitting on the shelf. (We called them PCM-815's because they cost 1/2 as much to build when compared to buying 12 PCM-1630's)
If you want, I'll throw in a DAE-1100A editor if you promise to get it out of here! (I need the shelf space)   Let me know if you are interested.
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Chief Mastering Engineer
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
http://www.soundmirror.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:35:45 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Thu, 10 January 2008 18:07

Anyone looking to dump a 1630 set-up (processor & DMR)? I'm thinking about having one just to have around.

Vintage Digital Rocks!

Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

djwaudio

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 09:35

Vintage Digital Rocks!

pffft, more like egg shells... those things are contraptions. It's amazing it even works!!!
From my memory they were hit and miss in the tape manufacturing. I recall having five foot lengths of error reports. I don't miss that!
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 01:52:49 AM »

djwaudio wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 18:46

pffft, more like egg shells... those things are contraptions. It's amazing it even works!!!

You anticipating a demand for 1630 transfers?

One would think there would be thousands of U-matic tapes layin' around, waiting to be transferred and remastered.

Good luck on your quest.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering

djwaudio

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 22:52

You anticipating a demand for 1630 transfers?

One would think there would be thousands of U-matic tapes layin' around, waiting to be transferred and re-mastered.
JT

I wouldn't expect a ton of transfer work, since most 1630s were used as intermediate storage to get to CDs, and are sitting at replication plants. Logically, there would be manufactured discs available to serve as excellent back up and work sources, so who needs the tapes?

I did have an inquiry for 1630 mastering as a source for mastering. The studio mixed to it back in the day. It's the first request like this for me since about 1998!

I mastered from an F1 tape on VHS last year... and in the same year a dbx 1/4" master, the first time for that in my career. They both actually sounded excellent. Go figure.

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

jfrigo

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Sat, 12 January 2008 15:12

I did have an inquiry for 1630 mastering as a source for mastering. The studio mixed to it back in the day. It's the first request like this for me since about 1998!

I've only had a handful of requests since the 90s ended, and these were from labels who wanted to send over a bunch of stuff for compilations and retrospective reissues. We got some PCM-9000 a couple times too. Just rented in the machine and was done with it. That's also about the only kind of work I ever turn the DAT machine on for.

Had an old 80's job a couple months ago. Pulled out the DAT, the 1/4", some 1/2" too, but that's still not completely uncommon, and had a ball. We found some big 7" SSL E-series floppies when we opened the tape boxes. I can't believe that used to be state of the art. I have to say, these old 80's mixes on 1/4" from the big L.A. studios of the day sounded absolutely fantastic!

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 12:42:47 AM »

djwaudio wrote on Sat, 12 January 2008 14:12

I wouldn't expect a ton of transfer work, since most 1630s were used as intermediate storage to get to CDs, and are sitting at replication plants. Logically, there would be manufactured discs available to serve as excellent back up and work sources, so who needs the tapes?

Might be interesting to compare the two, see how closely they null, assuming the U-matic tapes are playable.

Quote:

I guess over the last decade we've only had a dozen or so requests for 1630 transfers, not enough to justify maintaining a setup. The idea does sound interesting though... but only if the demand were to increase.

Quote:

I mastered from an F1 tape on VHS last year... and in the same year a dbx 1/4" master, the first time for that in my career. They both actually sounded excellent. Go figure.

Working with a variety of vintage analog and digital formats can be gratifying. It's amazing what musicians have kept in their closets all these years. Often in morphs into a nice remastering job, & feels good to know that you helped someone revive part of their history.

Cheers - JT
Terra Nova Mastering

Kees de Visser

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 05:08:28 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sun, 13 January 2008 06:42

Might be interesting to compare the two, see how closely they null, assuming the U-matic tapes are playable.
When I was working at Philips Classics in the late 80s there used to be quite some discussion about audible differences between U-matic and CD. As soon as I got my first Sonic in 1990 I've done several null tests and none of them showed any audio data difference between the U-matic master and the CD, which was rather reassuring.
In the same period jitter was "discovered" which helped to continue the discussions Smile

Kees de Visser
Galaxy Classics

djwaudio

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sat, 12 January 2008 21:42

Cheers - JT

In my experience, they always null against the CD. That is, if there are no problems with data recovery.

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 05:33:42 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Sun, 13 January 2008 12:45

In my experience, they always null against the CD. That is, if there are no problems with data recovery.

Certainly speaks well for the replication process.

Error correction too.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.