R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended snare drums?  (Read 8602 times)

Duardo

Re: Recommended snare drums?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 07:14:21 PM »

I'd second the idea that one good wood and one good metal...probably maple and steel...would do a great job for your Strat/Les Paul comparison.  If you just want one drum, though, I'd probably go with a maple drum...although a brass drum will often give you a sort of compromise between a maple and steel drum...brighter than the wood, but not quite as edgy as the steel.

I think it's a very good idea to have a few drums around.  Especially since you say the main problem you encounter with many of the bands you record is inadequate gear...chances are those drummers aren't using the drums they use because they're what they want for "their sound", it's because it's all they can afford.

-Duardo
Duardo Hunter

John Ivan

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2004, 10:47:59 AM »

I've had great luck with the old Lude`Vig acrolite {?spelling}. 5" drums. My first snare was a Ludwig acrolite and I love them. I can tune though and it might just be that I've gotten used to these drums. All the suggestions so far are great. You should have a wood drum, a metal drum and I would also look at having a piccolo drum too. I swear though, The Ludwig 5" I've had for ever is very versatile. I guess most drums are quite versatile if you dive into tuning. As stated by folks here though, No one drum can do it all.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

CA

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 08:38:33 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 11:28

You can rarely ever go wrong with a Ludwig "Black Beauty"

Being a drummer/engineer I completely agree,really good all around snare...if you can't find one, yamaha has a "Manu Katche" model snare that will get you similar results.
Chris
Drop the puck!

ted nightshade

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004, 02:06:44 PM »

I have a really sweet copper snare, but could really use a nice wood one. Interested in all the suggestions here. Only Black Beauties I've seen have been crazy expensive... Interested in new stuff that compares, although really I'm going for something different than RAWK and don't want to hijack this worthy thread.

I think you have the right idea wanting to have a drum on hand that you KNOW you can get to sound good without a lot of experimentation.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

ctmartin

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 09:35:05 PM »

I second the recommendation of a DW Craviotto.

special agent Stu

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 10:01:15 AM »

Loove the " Chad Smith "...and the "Mapex Power hit".
Run the shitty snare through an old "Rat" Pedal..or one of your stomp boxes..a DBX 160 or some other smash box and Presto! Great sounding snares can be the snares you thought didnt sound great. I get those sessions and It sucks when your searching for gold but get less to work with. Chances are the drummer will walk away and realise his sound sucked...but loved your advice about how to improve it, and your patience. It may mean he will come back next time..after spending some dollars on a decent snare...
OR just trigger a good hit!
"Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't gone to sleep yet"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 16 queries.