R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brentt Averill BAE 312A  (Read 3930 times)

redelephant

Brentt Averill BAE 312A
« on: May 04, 2004, 07:35:05 PM »

Does anyone have any comments or experience with this unit? I am curious as to how they sound in comparison to genuine API pres.

The reason I ask is because I am planning getting a 2 or 4 channel unit to use mainly on drums. I know not all pres work for all people, but I think an API clone or something similar is what I need at the moment.

Thanks.

MorningStar

Re: Brentt Averill BAE 312A
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 06:06:31 PM »

I have a lunch box with 2 of his 312A preamps and a 1 space 2 channel rack of vintage API. His preamps sound better than the APIs. I use them on a lot of different sources, drums, guitars, vocals, and I prefer the his to the old. I could have a less than perfect set of old APIs so take it for what is worth, but I have heard his new preamps against a few different set of older ones and I dont think you can go wrong buying his.

natpub

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 09:42:46 PM »

I think the 3124 four channel unit is a good deal at about 600 a channel. I guess if you were looking to expand or add eq, comp, later, then the lunchboxes make more sense--but they're more expensive.

K
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

Three-Legged Cat

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 12:43:14 PM »

I've got a lunchbox with three of the 312 units, and they sound freaking great.  Never had the opportunity to A/B with older APIs, but I'm very please with the sound of the BAE units.  On top of that, the customer service is outstanding - ask for Avedis!
Jonathan Price

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 02:35:42 PM »

I was under the impression that the supply of the BA API was all but gone.
I had heard they were having a heck of a time finding consoles to part out. People started keeping the desks in tact.

If you have info to the contrary  PLEASE let me know. I need one more pre to round out my beloved lunchbox!

I love my BA 312's. Cant track with out them.

Dennis

Three-Legged Cat

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 12:47:33 PM »

These are the ones I got:

http://www.brentaverill.com/312a/
Jonathan Price

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 03:32:09 PM »

Now i have talked to Avedis about these. These are supposedly incredible, everything the API's are and more, BUT there is NO original API parts in these.

SO just know that these dont have the original API parts like his early ones did.

I wonder about the resale value of the new ones?

Dennis

Three-Legged Cat

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 04:44:50 PM »

Right.  The newer models don't have the original parts, but man they sound great.  As far as resale value goes, Avedis would be a good person to talk to about that.  We'd spoke about me trading in my lunchbox for a larger one in the past, and I vaguely recall his buyback price being reasonable.  He'd have a good idea about what you could get for these.
Jonathan Price
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 17 queries.