R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mercenary answer to the KM 84?  (Read 36460 times)

George_

Re: The Mercenary answer to the KM 84?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 02:44:56 AM »

Quote:

the fact of the matter is that at the end of the day, it's a Chinese mic... which is made by hourly employees who repeat their tasks and get paid vs. the skilled German craftsman who appear to have a personal interest and stake in their craftsmanship.

Peace

chineseworkmanship..  Rolling Eyes

and...

Quote:

The problem is capsules. They still haven't figured out how to do consistent work with the sputtering of the Mylar machining of the backplates, tensioning of the diaphragm and final testing / "QC" of the product. So... I don't know what kind of testing procedure you have for determining capsule quality, nor do I know your failure/rejection rate of these capsules... nor do I really care because it's your buisiness and frankly none of my business unless you deem me worthy of your confidence.

These are the basic premises on which I based my statement. There are a half dozen other specifics I have left out which add to the basis for my apprehension vis a vis the final product and consistency from unit to unit but I'm not here to give you the tools to alter your marketing, I'm here to voice the broad strokes of my apprehension and explain my previous statement.

and you are right, he is talking about audioparts, espacially the capsule.

so can you be a bit more specific about witch part is from where?

cheers
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

J.J. Blair

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 05:43:50 AM »

Thanks for digging that up, George.

"the logo badge is chinese, as is the wood box and the mic clip, the body tube... unimportant stuff like that."

I think that answers the question.  These are the non essential parts.  Granted, as we said, you might get lead poisoning from them, but they aren't in the audio path!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

George_

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 05:44:47 AM »

body tube unimportant?

George Necola

Larrchild

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »

myNameIsGeorge wrote on Mon, 14 January 2008 05:44

body tube unimportant?

Unimportant in this case meaning almost impossible to do incorrectly to adversely influence the sound.

That kind of unimportant.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

George_

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 03:45:07 PM »

Larrchild wrote on Mon, 14 January 2008 20:49

body tube unimportant?

Unimportant in this case meaning almost impossible to do incorrectly to adversely influence the sound.

we are talking about body-resonances... right? *just that I talk about something diffrent, because of my bad english*

George Necola

Fibes

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 05:13:08 PM »

myNameIsGeorge wrote on Mon, 14 January 2008 15:45

Larrchild wrote on Mon, 14 January 2008 20:49

body tube unimportant?

we are talking about body-resonances... right? *just that I talk about something diffrent, because of my bad english*

JJ,

Hit me with a rock.

I'll have a pair of KM-69s in my hands tomorrow.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

J.J. Blair

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 05:54:08 PM »

Do Chinese bodies resonate at a different frequency or something?

Kevin, would you like that to be a hard rock or a soft rock?  Maybe some metal?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

ricknroll

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 06:14:50 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Sat, 12 January 2008 15:07

I wouldn't call it "cheaper" either... nor would I call it less expensive.  The mic is what it is and the price is the price... so, if you like what you hear and think it's worth the money... great.

If you don't think it's worth the money than buy something else.  This isn't a "popularity contest" and we're not in it to win TEC

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 08:11:25 PM »

A body tube is not a head assembly or a kick drum..

Fibes

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 09:24:59 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 14 January 2008 17:54

Kevin, would you like that to be a hard rock or a soft rock?  Maybe some metal?

Heavy...
Fibes
The Studio

George_

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2008, 12:11:46 AM »

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Tue, 15 January 2008 02:11

A body tube is not a head assembly or a kick drum..

now that I found out, that we are talking about the same, it doesn't make sense to me, how your answers are Wink

the bodytube is very imporant. if it resonates t.h., kick the mic in the garbage. ask klaus if you don't belief George  Cool  Cool

George Necola

J.J. Blair

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2008, 12:34:30 AM »

All body tubes resonate.  The Ela-M 251 body tube not only has resonance, the plastic preamp housing has resonance.  U47s have body resonance.  Everything does.  It's unavoidable.  The hope is to insulate the capsule and the vacuum tube from the resonance, or at least dampen the vacuum tube.

Regardless, there'd be no difference in resonance between a body made in the US and one made in China, in terms of resonance.
studio info

George_

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2008, 12:42:49 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 15 January 2008 06:34

All body tubes resonate.  The Ela-M 251 body tube not only has resonance, the plastic preamp housing has resonance.  U47s have body resonance.  Everything does.  It's unavoidable.  The hope is to insulate the capsule and the vacuum tube from the resonance, or at least dampen the vacuum tube.

Regardless, there'd be no difference in resonance between a body made in the US and one made in China, in terms of resonance.

yes JJ, I know, but you can make that with propermaterials, out of the hearingrange or acousticly cover it.

remember the new genelec? they resonate at 3khz (at least the 8030), that is.. not cool. very tiring, and covers up sound.

now let's do it the opposite way and sing in the genelec and call it your microphone Very Happy

cheers

George Necola

J.J. Blair

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2008, 12:54:05 AM »

I give up.  The dark side of the GS force is too strong in you.
studio info

Fibes

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »

The mics will be here this afternoon.

I'm going to have to lick them until nightfall to get the full effects of the extra lead so that I can burn this thread from my memory.

Fibes
The Studio

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up