R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mercenary answer to the KM 84?  (Read 36451 times)

trock

Re: The Mercenary answer to the KM 84?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 11:44:04 AM »

thats actually pretty cool fletcher

you read tons bout the 84 and how everyone wants one for acoustic recording, but they are more expensive then your street price for the 69, and of course those are used ones. thus making your mic something alot would want to check out

ricknroll

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 03:32:55 PM »

trock wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 08:44

you read tons bout the 84 and how everyone wants one for acoustic recording, but they are more expensive then your street price for the 69, and of course those are used ones.

At $950, I wouldn't call the upcoming Mercenary mic "cheaper" than a KM84 unless someone decides to pay too much money on eBay for one.  Even then, the one KM84 I bought off ebay (last year) I paid $900 for.  Of course, as you pointed out, you're probably going to end up with a used KM84 if you decide to get one.  If I didn't already have 5 KM84s I'd probably try out the KM69s when they're available.

Rick

Hank Alrich

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »

ricknroll wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 12:32

trock wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 08:44

you read tons bout the 84 and how everyone wants one for acoustic recording, but they are more expensive then your street price for the 69, and of course those are used ones.

At $950, I wouldn't call the upcoming Mercenary mic "cheaper" than a KM84 unless someone decides to pay too much money on eBay for one.  Even then, the one KM84 I bought off ebay (last year) I paid $900 for.  Of course, as you pointed out, you're probably going to end up with a used KM84 if you decide to get one.  If I didn't already have 5 KM84s I'd probably try out the KM69s when they're available.

Rick

Are you thinking of the KM184? Because, yeah, you're not going to bet a new KM84 these days unless someone's grandpa left one in the closet.

trock

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 09:18:30 PM »

the ones i have seen recently, although in the classifieds on GS have actually been 1K or so. so yes, its close but seemed a bit less, and with a heck of a warranty and support behind it i would have to try the 69 before i bought a used 84 at this point.

ricknroll

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 10:03:47 PM »

Hank Alrich wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 14:18

Are you thinking of the KM184? Because, yeah, you're not going to bet a new KM84 these days unless someone's grandpa left one in the closet.

No, not thinking of KM184s.  There are bound to be a few virgin KM84s out there, given the large number of the mics Neumann manufactured.  Grampa's closet could be a starting point...

Rick

Barry Hufker

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 11:06:20 PM »

I've been beating my grandfather for the last hour with a rubber hose but he won't tell me where his KM84s are.  He keeps insisting that he's a plumber and doesn't know what a KM84 is.  I don't believe him.  And if he doesn't talk soon, I'm starting on grandma.

tom eaton

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 11:54:09 PM »

Damn.

Fletcher

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »

ricknroll wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 15:32

At $950, I wouldn't call the upcoming Mercenary mic "cheaper" than a KM84

I wouldn't call it "cheaper" either... nor would I call it less expensive.  The mic is what it is and the price is the price... so, if you like what you hear and think it's worth the money... great.

If you don't think it's worth the money than buy something else.  This isn't a "popularity contest" and we're not in it to win TEC
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

George_

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »

...and you are using Asian-parts. that is somewhat "ANTI-Fletcheroid", isn't it? Laughing  Laughing

is it a asian OEM-model, customized by mercenary?
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

J.J. Blair

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 06:46:42 PM »

I heard Fletcher likes "71."  That's 69, with two finger up your ass.

BTW, unless you totally prefer this mic to the KM84, KM84s can be had for slightly more money.  They seem to have a steady eBay price of $1,000.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Fletcher

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »

Some of the parts are made in China, the logo badge is chinese, as is the wood box and the mic clip, the body tube... unimportant stuff like that. What can I say... I'm don't really give a flying rat's ass about geo-political ideals as they relate to audio equipment... only the quality of the end product.

The important bits are made right here in the good ol' United Snakes of Amerikkka [you can ask where... but I ain't tellin']... so yes, there is a little Asia involved, just not the parts I considered important.  On the bright side... we ordered the body and the logo badge with extra lead in them so please keep those parts away from small children.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Barry Hufker

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 11:42:49 PM »

Well, the extra lead should help suppress body resonances...

and what's a little brain-damage among friends?

compasspnt

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 11:59:41 PM »

RF

and

Superman-proof.

George_

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 02:02:10 AM »

Quote:

and what's a little brain-damage among friends?

that is 100% right. I am not the one that want to have troubles with you fletcher but I want to remember you, how you bashed an other brand for having some parts made in ASIA.

looking forward to hearing this thing.

cheers
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

J.J. Blair

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 02:31:50 AM »

Perhaps he was bashing on having the audio components made in China?  See if you can find the thread and post a link.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.