R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Power Amp  (Read 1585 times)

chalupa67

Monitor Power Amp
« on: April 25, 2008, 04:58:45 PM »

I have a small and humble home studio where I run Cubase. I have a pair of Tannoy PMB 8 passive monitors. Sadly, I am powering them with an Alesis RA-100. I was wondering what may power these monitors a bit more accurately. Someone was pitching me the Crown D-75, and I thought I'd throw it out on this forum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fletcher

Re: Monitor Power Amp
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »

I don't think the Crown is the way to go by any stretch of the imagination!!  I use McIntosh amps on any of the monitors we have in our studio that aren't already powered [we use them for the cue system as well].

They can be a bit pricey [even the solid state ones] but they're great amps.  I'd recommend you keep an eye out for something like a QSC or even an Ashley "MOS-FET" amp as those are some pretty solid and clear sounding beasts in a price range that is quite a bit more affordable than McIntosh.

I'm sure you'll get some other suggestions as well... most of them will probably be quite valid.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Tim Padrick

Re: Monitor Power Amp
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 01:25:16 AM »

Try amps from Arcam.  I expect you'll find them to be better than most all the "brands you've heard of".

US: http://www.audiophilesystems.com

UK: http://www.arcam.co.uk

And of course good ole' eBay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 19 queries.