R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: old school audio mic pres  (Read 3200 times)

sadworld

old school audio mic pres
« on: May 10, 2004, 10:18:20 PM »

anyone have any comments on these as i was considering them. recording rock and want big fat drums.... matt.

slicraider

Re: old school audio mic pres
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:42:48 PM »

I've had access to a few of them in an API rack. There was also an API 312 mic pre which blew the doors off the Old School for fatness. The Old School did a solid job on many gtr parts though.

Rick Slater

floodstage

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 11:04:11 AM »

Which OSA pre did you try out?

Supposedly, the original OSA pre's were API 512 knockoffs, but their newer models are supposed to be OSA designs and not knockoffs of API or anyone else's stuff.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has used the three current OSA models.

twilightoftheidols

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 06:27:12 PM »

I'm in the process of adding a few items to my home studio, and I'm in the market for a two channel mic pre.  For pre's I've currently got a Summit/Neve Element 78 MPE-200 (stereo), and two SSL XLogic Channels.  For this next purchase, I was considering the Universal Audio 2-610, the Chandler TG2, the Tube Tech MP 1A, and the Avalon AD2022.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Which of these models do you feel will best complement my current collection?  

Thanks!
Brendan E.

Nathan Eldred

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 12:11:53 AM »

floodstage wrote on Thu, 13 May 2004 11:04

Which OSA pre did you try out?

Supposedly, the original OSA pre's were API 512 knockoffs, but their newer models are supposed to be OSA designs and not knockoffs of API or anyone else's stuff.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has used the three current OSA models.

The C model sounds most like the 312 (a lot like my original API BA's).  Definitely a lot more input headroom and hotter output too.  The "A" is in the John Hardy Camp (more high frequencies though), the L is like a much 'wider' sounding API, with more highs and lows.  There is also the new L3 now, which is like a slightly quicker, slightly less distorted 1073 (i.e. 1290) Neve.  A good alt for people who can't afford the clones, or looking for something a little less forward than the Class A Neve sound.
Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.