R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: Huckabee for President (You're an Idiot if You Participate in This Thread)  (Read 61900 times)

rphilbeck

Unless you want Chuck Norris to kick your ass.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EjYv2YW6azE

Barry Hufker

Re: Huckabee for President
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:32:42 PM »

That's a very funny spot (sincerely).  It shows Mr. Huckabee has a fine sense of humor.

Now as far as actual politics, there's some flip-flop.  A transcript from "Meet The Press": The Topic is Immigration.

GOV. HUCKABEE:  In all due respect, we’re a better country than to punish children for what their parents did.  We’re a better country than that.

MR. RUSSERT:  “We’re a better country than punishing children for what their”…

GOV. HUCKABEE:  Mm-hmm.

MR. RUSSERT:  …”parents did.”

GOV. HUCKABEE:  I still believe that, yeah.

MR. RUSSERT:  But a week later, after that comment, you came out with this: “The Secure America Plan.”

MR. RUSSERT:  “Propose to provide all illegal immigrants a 120-day window to register with the Bureau of Citizenship” “Immigration Services and leave the country.  Those who register” “return to their home country will face no penalty if they later apply,” “those who do not return home will be, when caught, barred from future re-entry for a period of 10 years.” Children born here are American citizens.

MR. RUSSERT:  And you were saying that.

MR. RUSSERT:  “Don’t punish those kids.” A week later, you said, “No, no, no, send the parents home,” and what happens to the kids?

GOV. HUCKABEE:  They go with their parents.  I mean, I can’t imagine a parent not taking their children…

MR. RUSSERT:  But they’re American citizens.  Why do they have to leave the country?

GOV. HUCKABEE:  Because they’re–first, before they’re American citizens, they’re the children of their parents.

MR. RUSSERT:  But aren’t we a “better country,” to quote someone, than that?

GOV. HUCKABEE:  Let me be very clear.  I stand beside my statement, but here’s what we have to do to fix the immigration problem.  We’ve got to seal our border, something our government has been dysfunctional and failed to do. It’s also very clear the American people are not going to tolerate people who have gotten here illegally to get in the front of the line.  The only way they can get into the back of the line is to go back to the point of origin, to get behind that line, and then modernize that line so it shouldn’t take eight years to process a piece of paper to get people the necessary paperwork to be able to do that.

MR. RUSSERT:  But, Governor, this is, this is important, because this is what you said back in 2005.  “Responding to a question about illegal aliens, Huckabee said `our economy would collapse’ without them.”

MR. RUSSERT:  Do you believe that?

GOV. HUCKABEE:  I think it would be very, very difficult to do construction and agriculture without them.  That’s why we need a policy that puts everyone in this country in a legal position.  And, Tim, let me, let me go further.

MR. RUSSERT:  But, this, this is…

GOV. HUCKABEE:  Let me explain why.

MR. RUSSERT:  …important, because your plan says send them all home.

GOV. HUCKABEE:  No, I did not send them home.  They will go home within 120-day window, and then they have the process of starting to return.

MR. RUSSERT:  But that’s 15 million people.  You’re saying to do that would collapse the American economy, and now that’s exactly what you’re proposing.

GOV. HUCKABEE:  No, I don’t think it would collapse the American economy if people went back and did their process of becoming legal.  And all of them aren’t going to go back on the same day.  There’s going to be a window of time.  How long it’s going to take for them to come back, I don’t know.  But part of the process, the first process, if you read my entire plan, is seal the border.  Seal the border.  If you don’t do that, then you don’t have any control of who’s here, why they’re here and what they’re doing.  This process has to be modernized.  It’s our government that’s been dysfunctional.

Tim, I stand by many of the state–all of the statements I’ve made, and one of them has been, let’s thank God we live in a country people are trying to break into, not one they’re trying to break out of.  But let’s have a rule of law. Let’s make everyone live by it.  And let me tell you why I believe my plan is not only a plan that respects the rule of law, but I think it’s the most humane plan.  Because nobody living in this country ought to live with his head down, ought to live in the shadows, ought to live in fear, ought to live every day looking if there’s a police car or a border patrol, running and hiding.  I want people to live in this country with their heads up.  I want them to be able to, if they’re going to work here, to work legally.  I want them to be able to pay the same taxes, live under the same laws, and also to be able to have the kind of sense of liberty that this country is bound by. That’s what we’re trying to achieve.  Let’s not forget that our federal government has made a mess of this.  As a governor, I had to deal with their mess, and I believe, as president, one of the highest priorities is to fix the problem.

Of course how Mr. Huckabee would move 15 million people (all within 4 months) and allow them to return is not known.  And it's a handy way to get all the little Latino U.S. citizens out of the country...

rphilbeck

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 09:17:45 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 05 January 2008 21:32

Of course how Mr. Huckabee would move 15 million people...

I understand that's only about two trips in a Volkswagen.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 10:44:26 AM »

Now I understand!

LOL!

PRobb

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 12:15:08 PM »

It's hard to see Huckabee's support going much deeper than evangelicals.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

studiojimi

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 12:43:04 PM »

PRobb wrote on Sun, 06 January 2008 09:15

i have a buddy who is an evangelical texas billionaire and i know he has sunk a bundle into this guy and i'll be he's not the only one.

CAZADOR RECORDING
STUDIOJIMI'S PSW SONG FORUM
MY MYSPACE
How very good and pleasant it is
when kindred live together in unity!
Psalm 133:1

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »

Can I just vote for Walker, Texas Ranger directly?

PookyNMR

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:42:47 PM »

For a Republican, I'd rather have Ron Paul....

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/01042008/watch2.html

Nathan Rousu

Barry Hufker

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »

Huckabee's got major campaign problems.  It's my guess his campaign is not long for this world.  His fellow Republican candidates are gunning for him and he doesn't come anywhere near Democrats in the polls...  Money isn't everything is this deal (and it also can't buy me love).

PRobb

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »

There are parts of Huckabee's economic populism that I like. In some areas, he's really in synch with Edwards. But he's a young earth creationist. And, in my opinion, that diqualifies him.
-Edmund Burke

John Ivan

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 06:53:45 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sun, 06 January 2008 17:51

Huckabee's got major campaign problems.  It's my guess his campaign is not long for this world.  His fellow Republican candidates are gunning for him and he doesn't come anywhere near Democrats in the polls...  Money isn't everything is this deal (and it also can't buy me love).

I'm not sure.. He could put it together still.. While I strongly disagree with many of his positions on the issues, I at least get the impression that he's a decent man.. I couldn't vote for him, but I don't dislike him as a person and that is refreshing for me..

This Mitt clown however, is someone I've had my fill of.. Talk about a two faced hack.. Hopefully he'll have the common decency to go home after New Hampshire.

It could be an interesting year.

Ivan....................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Barry Hufker

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 02:08:49 AM »

Ivan,

I agree with your assessment of Huckabee.  I think he's sincere and decent.  I just can't vote for him.

PRobb

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 09:06:30 AM »

studiojimi wrote on Sun, 06 January 2008 12:43

PRobb wrote on Sun, 06 January 2008 09:15

i have a buddy who is an evangelical texas billionaire and i know he has sunk a bundle into this guy and i'll be he's not the only one.

Right. It's hard to see Huckabee's support going much deeper than evangelicals.
-Edmund Burke

studiojimi

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 11:27:26 AM »

Huck may not be the best man for the job but there are certainly worse choices.

My problem with evangelicals is their judgment of others who don't believe as they do ...then again they are also on the receiving end of a lot of that.

Huckabee could be a good man to do a job.

Not sure i'll vote for him but I will keep an open mind.

The other night I watched the DVD of September Dawn....now that scared me to death on Romney whose Dad was my Gov. in Michigan when i grew up there.
CAZADOR RECORDING
STUDIOJIMI'S PSW SONG FORUM
MY MYSPACE
How very good and pleasant it is
when kindred live together in unity!
Psalm 133:1

Barry Hufker

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »

I consider Huckabee the best of a bad lot of Republicans.  But the man is ignorant of current events and has policies most people can't live with -- abortion being one of them.  I'm keeping my opinion of abortion to myself but I will state that if abortions are outlawed, the rich will still have them with safety and the poor will be butchered in back alleys.  That simply isn't going to stand.

And Republicans still use terror as their "call" to voters.  People have wised up in the last few years.  They are sick and tired of eternal war and the thought of a terrorist behind every door.  The Republicans just haven't figured that out.  And indeed, it's all they have as a platform.

If you're for the common person, you are not a Republican and your fellow Republicans will let you know that.  If you're for the common person, you're a Democrat.  Now all you have to do is figure out how not to fuck up your chances of winning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.