R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How many of you master 100% ITB?  (Read 20599 times)

J.J. Blair

How many of you master 100% ITB?
« on: January 02, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »

I have a friend who is a well known, $350/hr mastering guy here in LA, who recently told me that he's doing everything in the box now.  He seems to feel that it sounds better to keep it digital, since he's not getting anything on 1/2" anymore, than convert to analog and then back to digital.

Have any of you tried this approach, or are any of you currently doing this?  I for one am skeptical.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

jdg

Re: How many of you master 100% ITB?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:26:57 PM »

there are plenty of times i just stay ITB, maybe 20%?

john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »

And?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

TotalSonic

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 18:23

I have a friend who is a well known, $350/hr mastering guy here in LA, who recently told me that he's doing everything in the box now.  He seems to feel that it sounds better to keep it digital, since he's not getting anything on 1/2" anymore, than convert to analog and then back to digital.

Have any of you tried this approach, or are any of you currently doing this?  I for one am skeptical.

I did a recent compilation that came in as previously mastered tracks completely in the box - it was just a matter of level matching and some small eq trims for most - and then four tracks that were a little farther off worked well with heavier tweaks from the new Sonoris EQ2 (which is truly the best sounding digital eq I've yet to work with).  

But this is a pretty rare exception - about 90% tracks I receive end up with me using some form of analog processing on them.  I should also note that while I think digital eq's have improved a good bit to the point where for some tracks they can provide good results in mastering that I've still yet to hear a digital compressor that to my ear provides as satisfying results as my analog options.  

I also count myself lucky that I still regularly get in tracks on tape (more often on 1/4" than 1/2").

I'm sure Other's (including your guy charging 8x my rate) MMV.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob Boyd

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 07:00:59 PM »

Never here.  The only exception would be when I'm touching up something that came to me already mastered and I'm dropping it into an EDL with new masters.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

jfrigo

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 07:21:56 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 18:23

Even if I want to keep it all-digital, and occasionally I do, it is never "in-the-box." I'll use outboard, like Weiss and the t.c. 6000 with MD4, and perhaps a bit of Sintefex. There are very few ITB solutions that are willing to throw enough resources at the problem, preferring to allow 48 instances of just OK EQ rather than 2-6 channels of really good EQ. Algorithmix is a notable exception. Compression in the digital domain still is mostly uninspiring. Limiters work pretty well though, so at least there's that!

Besides, to hear the kids talk nowadays, it's all about clipping your AD converters!

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 07:33:24 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 18:36

...while I think digital eq's have improved a good bit to the point where for some tracks they can provide good results in mastering that I've still yet to hear a digital compressor that to my ear provides as satisfying results as my analog options.

jfrigo wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 19:21

...There are very few ITB solutions that are willing to throw enough resources at the problem, preferring to allow 48 instances of just OK EQ rather than 2-6 channels of really good EQ....Compression in the digital domain still is mostly uninspiring. Limiters work pretty well though, so at least there's that!

As I mentioned on the phone today to JJ, I will agree exactly with the two quotations above.

So far, with very rare exceptions, I do the "heavy lifting," both EQ and compression-wise, in the analogue chain.

Any ITB work would be minor post-caoture EQ tweaks, usually .5 to maybe 1 dB, and final limiting.

cerberus

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »

100%  itb. some good points, some bad points.

jeff dinces

djwaudio

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 15:23

I have a friend who is a well known, $350/hr mastering guy here in LA, who recently told me that he's doing everything in the box now.  

Is he using the Cube? I was pretty tempted by that system, and passed on it just because the user interface isn't big honkin' knobs. The sound was pretty good I'll admit.

I almost never do anything ITB. Though I did get a project today where the engineer did some "back-end" ITB compression and limiting. He supplied mixes with and without it. We unanimously picked the processed versions. The all analog mastering really helped though. Wink
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Andy Krehm

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 08:41:11 PM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 19:00

Never here.  The only exception would be when I'm touching up something that came to me already mastered and I'm dropping it into an EDL with new masters.

ditto!

jdg

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 09:23:55 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 15:34

And?

and, i wish i could charge $350/hr 20% of the time Razz

i dont mind ITB... for me, its just whatever gets me where i want to be the quickest.

john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Bob Boyd

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 09:27:12 PM »

jfrigo wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 18:21

Even if I want to keep it all-digital, and occasionally I do, it is never "in-the-box." I'll use outboard, like Weiss and the t.c. 6000 with MD4...

some of that here as well but by far analog is still my go to heavy lifter...
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

bblackwood

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 09:31:24 PM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 18:00

Same here, with the exception of mixes that are so hyper-limited that  they will 'fall apart' going through another round of conversion. I'd say 99% of my projects go through the analog chain.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

J.J. Blair

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 09:42:14 PM »

He's using Cube Tec.  He's using all UA plug-ins, mostly, IIRC and outboard Weiss.
studio info

carlsaff

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 10:41:30 PM »

I was all-ITB for years (tho never was and never will be $350/hr.). The quality of my masters has improved dramatically since assembling my analog chain, and now the analog loop always plays at least some part. Usually, it's doing 80-95% of the processing. Sometimes less. But it's always in play.

I'm very comfortable with the ergonomics and workflow of mastering using plugins, as I did it for years, and still get work from people who are just now hearing records I mastered that way years ago. In many ways, it is easier and faster for me than using analog gear. But I would miss terribly the good things that come from the analog boxes if I couldn't use them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.