R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar amp question - Billy Yates  (Read 9573 times)

Guitar amp question - Billy Yates
« on: December 30, 2007, 06:05:15 PM »

Hi, I'm hoping Billy will chime in here, but all replies are welcome.  I recently bought an old Traynor YSR-1 head, and the guy I bought it from had his tech install a master volume in the back.  

My understanding is that it's better not to mod these old amps, and to use a quality overdrive pedal to get distortion.  But since I don't know exactly how these things affect sound, my question is whether it's sufficient to simply keep the master volume all the way up, or is it better to go ahead and have the mod reversed?  

I have the tech's contact info, so I can probably get information about how the mod was done, if that's relevant.

Thanks!

RSettee

Re: Guitar amp question - Billy Yates
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 06:36:39 PM »

Robert,

The master volume is a very valuable asset. I'd keep it, though it's not original. In my opinion, it's one of the most valuable things that you can have on an amp, if you're recording at home, or want to track in a room with an amp that's working hard at low volumes, but with minimal bleed. Mind you, the preamp section will be doing most of the overdrive work, but it's still one of the best compromises between a small, low wattage amp and getting THD Hot Plate or something like that. Plus, you can mess around with the preamp tubes to install 12AT7's to make the preamp section work harder when you turn it up.

Old Traynors are pretty good. I had an old YGM-4 StudioMate (4 8" speakers....8" speakers are getting insanely hard to find these days). The only downside to Traynors is that they were often bare bones--ie: no overdrive. There was actually a mod that could be done to some of the Traynors in the tremolo that could turn it into an overdrive.

Some mods you will want done to amps....I had a new grounded plug put on one of my old amps, because I fried myself every time that the grounding was weird in a live PA!

GaryR47

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 01:05:17 AM »

There are many ways to do a master volume.  Depending on how the tech did it, the control "should" have minimal effect when dimed.   I'm assuming he used a large enough value pot in the std. config. (voltage divider between preamp and phase inverter) that the loading is minimal when the control is wide open.

The thing I might worry about would be if he put in a phase inverter master volume(MV) where a dual pot is substituted for the grid bias resistors in such a way that the bias is delivered through the pot wipers.  On that type of deal, if the wipers open up, you'll lose the neg bias to the power tube grids(usually not both sides at the same time).  This is bad for power tubes and output xfmr!  There are ways around this as well, such as resistors in parallel with the pots or using a different design of PI MV using capacitors to isolate the pots from the bias supply.

So if you're not certain of the MV install, perhaps you should get it checked out by a reputable tech.  Aside from these safety concerns, the primary question is; Do you like how it sounds?  If you do, then why worry about it.  If it sounds good, it is good!

Gary

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:11:40 PM »

Hi Ryan and Gary,

I do in fact like how the amp sounds now, but I don't have enough experience with gear to have a good benchmark.  Gary your information goes over my head but I'll try to contact the tech who did the mod and see what he says.  It would actually be nice to keep the MV just to have the option of adjusting it, but I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks for all the help.  

Billy Yates

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 08:15:02 PM »

I'll have to chime in here, sorry  I missed the thread.
I do not believe in Master volume controls...AT ALL.
Most tech's don't have a clue as to what they are doing when modifying an amp and the MV is no exception. If It must be done, then the Post Phase inverter style sounds best and if done properly, will not harm the amp if for some reason a connection comes loose, keeping bias voltage applied to the power tubes.
The Traynor's are great sounding amps without a MV. They all use Hammond Transformers which are excellent. If you take it back to stock, make sure the tech knows what the hell he is doing and for heavens sake, use high quality output tubes.
The golden rule with all guitar amplifiers is "Less is more"
This means the less interference, or least amount of components in the signal path, the better.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

"Mix? What mix? Oh, that mix...it's easy!
Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »

Hey Billy, I had a feeling you'd say something like that.  It's a shame, too, that this guy had it for only a short time and did that mod to it.  Do you happen to know any techs in the Bay Area?  I know there's xxxx xxxx, but I haven't heard good things about him.  There's also a guy named Skip Simmons up in Dixon, which is 1 1/2 hours away, but I don't know anything about him.

Thanks for the input.

Billy Yates

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »

I'm not one to bash other tech's by name. I have heard of such from others about him, but go on TGP and you'll find folks who have slammed me too. Laughing
I do not know who to send you to in the bay area, but if you go to Brown Note Amps and look up Normster or Moss, email them and tell them I sent you. They will know for sure. Great guys who tell the truth. If you let them know you are one of my contacts, they will expedite your request. Its a Bro thing. Please let me know if that helps. If you have trouble, email me and I'll see what I can do for you.
Happy New Year.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

RSettee

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »

I find that some of the amp techs--I agree--some of them don't know what they're talking about.

My conversation:

Me: "hey, I have an old amp and it has 4 6L6's. I was told that I have to bias it, so that I don't burn out my new expensive Tung Sol's"

Them: "you don't have to do that"

Me: "are you sure?"

Them: "yes. You don't need to do that"

Me: "just to play devil's advocate, can you do it, anyway? I just want it done, whether it needs to be done or not. The Tung Sol's are costly"

Them: "no, we won't do it"

I have a feeling that they didn't know how to do it and I called them on something that they didn't know how to do. Why would you turn down business, if that wasn't the case?

Billy Yates

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 10:02:48 PM »

Thats absurd...
They are obviously brainwashed by Randall Smith.
You: So, Mr. Mechanic...would you set the idle on my car?
Mechanic: No, it doesn't need it.
You: What? All cars need to have the idle set!
Mechanic: "Wrong...you need to run 96 octane fuel, it will run just fine"
You: Shocked WTF am I going to find 96 octane fuel?
Mechanic: Click....dial tone.

I suppose you could by a Line 6 amp but then you could also give up sex. After that, you might as well give up on music and get a real job.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 10:50:41 PM »

Hi Billy,

In retrospect I shouldn't have listed his name, either, as it's just hearsay.  But that's a great tip so I'll get in touch with those guys and let you know how it goes.  Thanks, man!

J.J. Blair

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 11:01:48 PM »

What about the at one time ubiquitous Lee Jackson master volume on old Marshalls?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Billy Yates

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 11:19:58 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 22:01

What about the at one time ubiquitous Lee Jackson master volume on old Marshalls?

So 80's...
You wouldn't believe how many Jackson modded amps I have un-modded.
No slight against him. That was the thing then. Now, everybody wants their vintage Marshall's "Vintage" again. Too bad he drilled those holes in the chassis. Embarassed
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

J.J. Blair

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:31:40 AM »

I had a JMP, Phil Brown talked me into getting the master volume mod.  Then he talked me into trading it for a Blues 50.  I was 21 and didn't know any better.  I hate him.  And on top of it, my Jackson Blues 50 seems to have grown a pair of legs.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

C.Cash

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »

If you had to buy an amp, a new amp in production now for blues tone, strictly for recording only. What would you get and what would you do to it to make it sound great?

Thanks,

Clifford.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Billy Yates

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 12:27:53 PM »

There are many choices and it mainly depends on budget. If you were to look back at the March thru June 2007 issues of Vintage Guitar magazine, I did a series of articles with Dave Jung outlining some cool choices for vintage amps for under a grand. You can still find Ampeg Reverberockets, Gibson GA-5 through GA-40 models without soaking the bank account. As for current production amps, I like the DR.Z & Tone King amps for Blues and Rock & Roll. For the money, the Crate V-15, V-30 & V-50 amps absolutely kill...ask Billy Gibbons, and yes he really does use them. The Louie Vitton covering is very optional! Believe it or not, the best sounding little amp on the planet is the Ephiphone Valve Jr. for about 99 dollars and get the Mercury Magnetics upgrade kit. Have a competent tech install it and there you go. Search is over. Couple that little bastard with a good sounding cabinet with either a Scumback G12H75
or a Celestion G-12 Alnico Blue and you will be in blues heaven for recording. You will have under 600 dollars invested.
You can still find Traynor's for a good deal if you look around.
It would take many days of discussion and numerous pages on a dedicated thread to dissect all of the alternatives and strategies to fill in the blanks and of course we would not all universally agree on all of the choices. There are SO MANY boutique builders out there that make incredible sounding amps. It makes it difficult to make a choice.
Before you part with your hard earned cash, try to play through one before you buy it. There is nothing worse than taking someone else's word for something through mail order only to find that it just doesn't fit your style or move your soul. Be patient and your true love will find you.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.