R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha MSP5 and Tannoy Reveal Active  (Read 3945 times)

asterox

Yamaha MSP5 and Tannoy Reveal Active
« on: May 09, 2004, 08:26:18 PM »

hey all.
anyone got these monitors? opinions on either? my primary interest is mixes that travel well to other environments.

thanks in advance.

jakabo

Re: Yamaha MSP5 and Tannoy Reveal Active
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 02:22:23 PM »

We have the tannoy passives and MSP5.

The yamaha's have no bass. They don't sound much like NS10's. They do a decent job of seperating mid crunch so you can hear what's going on in there (not great).

The tannoy's get much lower and are smoother accross the spectrum and sound more like "stereo" speakers. Easier to listen to. They just lack a level of detail.

That said, I rarely use the yamaha's. And wouldn't think twice about the Reveal's over the MSP5's. There might be other speakers in the same price range but they all seem to have flaws to me. I have been listening to/dreaming of SLS vs Adam's though.

ken

Henrik Vogel

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 06:26:13 AM »

I have some, but not much, experience of both these monitors. I hate the Yammers and find the Reveals quite workable.

Best,
Henrik
RECORDISTA! pro audio

asterox

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 04:22:14 PM »

can you tell me why you hate the yamaha's? anything in particular. i know some people didn't like to mix on the ns10's either but felt that if a mix sounded good on them they would travel well. is that the case here or do they just blow.

thanks in advance.

Gunnar Hellqvist

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 06:49:15 PM »

Hi,
  I have a pair of MSP5-s. They do the job.

I started out by going to a large music dealer and listening through all the monitors. After having pestered them several times, looking at and lifting the monitors, checking my budget and thinking a lot, these came out on top. Basically I would say if you pay a lot more, you get more.

I liked the MSP5-s for their details, they showed a lot of detail in the sound that many similarily priced monitors simply muddled up. They are also rather small and has at least some protection in front of both speaker elements, something that did make a difference in my choice since I have no fixed place for my studio.

At the end my two choices were the MSP5 and Genelect 1029A, and I actually preferred the sound of the MSP5s.

I did listen to the Tannoys as well, but cannot say they left any deep impression.

Well, all in all, my recommendation is to take your own ears and go listen. After all it is your ears that will live with the speakers later.

Gunnar Hellquist
real amateur
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.