R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 990 (six pack) vs Sytek (four pack)  (Read 4647 times)

dnafe

990 (six pack) vs Sytek (four pack)
« on: April 25, 2004, 09:05:23 AM »

Hi all

I'm inquiring for a friend so bear with me.

He can pick up a Sytek MPX 4AII four pack for around $800 US but also has the opportunity to buy a six pack of 990 pre's for approx $2400 CDN.

The 990's have a gain control, phantom power, 10 db cut and are very well made (you'll have to trust me on that comment)

His question is - are the 990's worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance

Don
Far be it from me to say anything intelligent

Fletcher

Re: 990 (six pack) vs Sytek (four pack)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 06:41:18 AM »

Probably.  Any chance of playing with them next to each other?
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

dnafe

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »

Actually no he can't

He was basing his Sytek purchase on anecdotal info from various NG's and forums and the 990 purchase on the advice of a friend.

His plan was to upgrade his pre's (Presonus and Mackie VLZ) with the sytek, an RNP and one more dual channel pre - mainly to have various flavours and the 990 purchase would basically wipe out his budget in one shot and limit his preamp choices as well as the # of pre's to choose from.

I personally think he can't go wrong with the 990's but his concerns are valid.

Hope this helps

Don
Far be it from me to say anything intelligent

audiothings

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 02:16:49 AM »

i need pres and the sytek was prime on my list. sorry, but could someone tell me what these '990' pres are? the john hardy-jensen thing or something else with the 990 op amps? much interested, a 'six pack' would do nicely for me...

Greg B

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 04:39:05 AM »

I've never tried the 990's, so I can't say which is better, but I've been using the Sytek MPX-4aii for a year now (mostly on drums, acoustic guitar, and vocals), and I've been very happy with them.  I've never heard better preamps for under $300 per channel.  Very smooth and transparent.

floodstage

990? Who's 990?
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 12:20:26 PM »

I'm with audiothings wondering who makes this 990 six pack you're talking about. Especially for 2400 CDN.

Mercenary shows a Hardy Jensen Twin Servo 990 preamp in one, two, three, and four channel versions.  All at least 1000 bucks US a channel.  A six channel version is not shown but if it was, it would probably be at least 6000 (1000 per channel).  

If a 6 channel Hardy exists, 2400 CDN would be a good deal.  I'll buy it if you don't.

screws

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 05:08:51 PM »

Seventh Circle Audio (www.seventhcircleaudio.com) makes a few DIY kits that include a dual 990 preamp kit (their model # J99) that sounds amazing. Priced much cheaper than the Hardy stuff, since you do all the work yourself.

I've never heard the Hardys, but the SCA J99s sound huge.
Steve Cruz
Cruzified Music Productions
Florida
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.