R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about the frequency ranges affected by the tone knobs on a guitar amp  (Read 2469 times)

noratacka

I am not sure if this is too much of a "beginner" question for this forum...I apologize if it is.

I was hoping someone could tell me if there are there any generalizations one can make regarding the frequency ranges affected by the tone knobs on a guitar amp?

i.e. the range of bass, mid, treble, and presence

i.e. bass (80-300hz) *not sure if this is correct

I realize that all amps are different...but, I was hoping someone who is experienced can give a frequency breakdown of the general frequency ranges the bass, mid, treble, and presence knobs are affecting.

Thank you for your help

j.hall

i believe it varies from amp to amp, and i haven't a clue the range.

RSettee

This has been one of my biggest gripes for years....even on Tube Screamers, the tone knob is more of a mild mid range knob, rather than a true tone/ high knob. Unfortunately, you're on your own with this, because the tone knob frequencies vary on the same models of some amps from year to year sometimes, as well as from manufacturer to manufacturer.

johnR

Not only does it vary from amp to amp, but with the traditional passive tone circuits used in many amps the different controls interact. The middle control setting on a Marshall, for example, has a big effect on how the bass and treble controls behave. The ranges change according to the settings of the other controls.

beau

i hope this is not the case, but if you are in the group of people who can not recognize frequencies when you hear them, you can buy a spectrum analyzer, send it to an aux from the armed channel. and then when you boost and cut, instead of being able to hear what your nobs are doing, you can see what they are doing.  however, i have always found it better to just use your ears instead of using your eyes when mixing Wink

peace

beau
I'll take ape tit for 500.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.