R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Packing Blanket advice  (Read 14292 times)

Doc Roc

Packing Blanket advice
« on: December 15, 2007, 12:26:10 PM »

Hey guys, So I'm just finishing up hanging my 14 bass traps I made w/ 6" rockwool (I'll post pics and info soon), and 10 2" first-reflection panels.  However, I still need to isolate my vox booth / closet from my mixing room.  I think hanging some packing blankets over the door area may be the best option for this, but do you guys have other ideas?  My next question I guess is where should I order these and/or what exactly should I look for when ordering them?  

Also, this area is exactly at my first reflection point on my left side.  With the doors being here, I don't have any room to hang any 2x4 2" panels.  SO, should I leave the blankets up and use those for my first reflection absorption too?  AND, should I match the other side with packing blankets then for symmetry?  Or use a panel on this side(for better absorption)?

Thanks a TON guys as always!

PS.  The panels came out GREAT and I'm super proud of myself actually.  I was nervous going into this project but everything came out great.  Thanks a LOT for the threads/advice!  Couldn't have done it without PSW!  I'll post more about the process/outcome soon!
Ross Neptune
Noise Gate Audio Production Services
Denver/Boulder
www.noisegateaudio.com

gullfo

Re: Packing Blanket advice
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:52:36 PM »

you could make a simple frame out of PVC tubing and hang some packing blankets on it to shape the area. I've also seen some designs using a set of 3 luan doors hinged together and you hang a strip of carpet over it or the packing blanking. treat the fabric with flame retardent.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6448/examplevoxbooth2ym9.th.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/338/examplecheapvocalbooth1ke9.th.jpg
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6340/examplecheapvocalbooth2kr9.th.jpg
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

brett

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 05:06:20 AM »

"vox booth / closet from my mixing room"  unless I am missing somthing, why not put a door on the closet? and maybe cut a hole and add a window.

Doc Roc

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 01:03:21 PM »

Oh, I do have a door, but I live in an apartment so its not really a very good one.  Especially for sound isolation.  But, yeah, maybe buying/installing a new door and inserting a window will be a good project for the near future.  BUT, the other problem with the door there, that I was explaining is that the position of the closet door within my room is directly at my 1st reflection point for my mix position.  SO, I was hoping for some advice on how to absorb that area.  The 1st reflection pt. is actually right at the part where the wall stops and the door begins.

ALSO, where would you recommend me buying packing blankets from?  I only need maybe 3.
Ross Neptune
Denver/Boulder
www.noisegateaudio.com

gullfo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 11:15:17 PM »

check with the moving rental companies for blanket purchases, or online.
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

0dbfs

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 02:07:19 PM »

Doc Roc wrote on Sat, 15 December 2007 12:26

Hey guys, So I'm just finishing up hanging my 14 bass traps I made w/ 6" rockwool (I'll post pics and info soon), and 10 2" first-reflection panels.  However, I still need to isolate my vox booth / closet from my mixing room.  I think hanging some packing blankets over the door area may be the best option for this, but do you guys have other ideas?  My next question I guess is where should I order these and/or what exactly should I look for when ordering them?  

Also, this area is exactly at my first reflection point on my left side.  With the doors being here, I don't have any room to hang any 2x4 2" panels.  SO, should I leave the blankets up and use those for my first reflection absorption too?  AND, should I match the other side with packing blankets then for symmetry?  Or use a panel on this side(for better absorption)?

Thanks a TON guys as always!

PS.  The panels came out GREAT and I'm super proud of myself actually.  I was nervous going into this project but everything came out great.  Thanks a LOT for the threads/advice!  Couldn't have done it without PSW!  I'll post more about the process/outcome soon!

I've got a stack of 10 "pro" moving pads/blankets that I picked up from a moving company about 10 years ago. These are not the blue uhaul variety. They are quite heavy and quilted with a heavy open cell type of foam in sandwiched in between the outer fabric. They are probably made of heavy cotton but I'm not sure.

I would check with some pro-movers in your area to source these or buy them. They are probably sort of expensive.

Mine were sort of "inherited" and I have kept them just for the purpose of setting up small booth areas and draping over gobo's to help with isolation.

They have worked great for guerilla style sessions when accompanied with a heavy duty staple gun. Wink

Cheers,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

LSilva

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:13:43 AM »

fyi

I just ordered a couple of packing blankets from this place. Shipping isn't all that cheap but they seem like good quality.

http://moverssupplies.com/MOVING-BLANKET/

Thanks,
Lou
Lou Silva

0dbfs

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »

LouMan wrote on Wed, 26 March 2008 11:13

fyi

I just ordered a couple of packing blankets from this place. Shipping isn't all that cheap but they seem like good quality.

Thanks,
Lou

Maybe we can take some measurements and compare.

Mine are like these:
http://moverssupplies.com/product_info.php/cPath/21/products _id/81

But the producers blankets:
http://moverssupplies.com/product_info.php/cPath/21/products _id/140

Look nice.

I might even order a couple just for fun.

Cheers,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

willowhaus

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »

Hmm...those look very useful...

Doc Roc

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 01:54:30 AM »

ha, its been forever since i started this post, but thanks guys!  I'll definitely have to pick up some of those.  They look great.  Thanks!

Ross
Ross Neptune
Denver/Boulder
www.noisegateaudio.com

Doc Roc

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »

So Thanks again for all the great advice.  I have now finally gotten around to shopping for a new door for my closet.  I would like to replace my apartment closet door with a (close as I can get to) soundproofed door.  I read in a post that a good idea would be to look into local construction salvage yards for some good deals on doors, but my main question is what to look for?  wood?  if so, what types of wood have better NRC ratings for this purpose.  What type of glass to install in the door, if any?  I have looked through the forums here and at some other sites and can't really find the info I am looking for.  Thanks for any help you can give,

Ross
Ross Neptune
Denver/Boulder
www.noisegateaudio.com

Jeff Morgan

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 02:55:09 AM »

Hi:

I am running the http://www.MoversSupplies.com  and wanted to give you some background on creating Producer’s Choice Moving Blankets for soundproofing.

About Sound Blankets:
Information below was gathered from Sound recording forums. I hope it might be helpful:
Some questions people ask:
- “Can I get reasonable (not necessarily best possible) results just using inexpensive quilted furniture moving pads?”
- “If suspending the blankets gives better sound, what's the best way to do it? “
- “shouldn't you find out what frequencies the 'blankets' attenuate before ordering. shouldn't you have a rough idea what frequencies your blankets will absorb rather than diffuse?”

And some answers I read:
1. … Yes, moving blankets work well as sound blankets. But, you want the good, thick ones, not the thin ones. And, if you have an option, get them in both light and dark colors. Your lighting team will thank you.
2. … What really makes the difference, is the surface area the blanket covers, and the distance from the speaker. As sound leaves a speakers mouth, the closer the blanket is to them, the less surfaces the noise can be reflected off before it gets absorbed by the blanket.
3.   …The blankets are not for sound proofing but diffusion. A lot of things work to do this, including the human body, but blankets are the most convenient tool that can be taken from set to set easily.
4.  ...  From a post perspective you probably cant make it [set] too dead. If you sound post is all going to be in FCP or another NLE then I would try to avoid REALLY dead but you don't have much chance of ever getting a set dead, there is just too much other stuff around.

We listened to these concerns and created a Producer’s Choice Moving Blanket for Soundproofing ( http://moverssupplies.com/MOVING-BLANKET/BW-Cotton-Blanket-P roducers-Choice/ )

We simply followed recommendations of the film producers who were NOT satisfied with performance of  regular moving blankets that were available elsewhere, and thought that blankets marketed as "sound blankets" were too expensive. It started with an e-mail from a member of one of the forums (namely, DVX-User), who asked if we can design a special blanket for soundproofing. So we asked what did they want to see in the ideal sound blanket.
After some soul searching they came to the conclusion that blankets over 8 lbs would have sufficient mass for soundproofing, but heavier blankets would be too difficult to handle. They also requested that the blankets be Black and White for special light reflection/absorption.  So they can be used to either block light with the black side or reflect light with the white side.  For outer fabric material we selected 100% cotton, which is not shiny and does not interfere with the lighting on the set.
We made some further improvements, such as white fabric is now more dense than what it used to be and the binding in now 100% woven polyester for added durability, especially if you have to wash the blankets.
After a year of testing, when i asked members of the forum if there was anything i needed to do to improve the quality - they told me that "the Producer's choice blankets were perfect" and suggested that i "DO NOT DO ANYTHING!".
We offer adding grommets to blankets at your request.

As a bragging point I can say that 20-th Century Fox Studio was using our Producer's choice blankets for soundproofing, when filming movie "Marley and Me", which is in “the theater near you” . Paul Green School of Rock Music ordered our blankets for several of their franchises and told us that police visits became much less frequent after they started to use our blankets.
If you browse the net – you will be glad to notice that our sound Blankets Producer’s choice priced half of what other comparable blankets cost and if you buy by the dozen savings are even better!
We did not make any specific sound dampening measurements, so I can only refer you to testimonials: http://MoversSupplies.com/testimonials.php

I hope this was useful.

Jeff.

franman

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 12:01:42 AM »

Wow.. those sound like some special blankets!! I almost want to wrap myself in them and do some recording!! Very Happy

Sorry Jeff, not trying to be a wise ass (oh, yes I am)... I'm just impressed that you actually took input from Film producers to create a specialty product. I think it's great. Next time I buy some blankets, I know where I will go.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

carival

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 09:54:30 PM »

I received a dozen of the Producer's choice blankets last week. Very useful product offered at a very reasonable price. Super service from MoversSupply.com as well.
chris rival
middleville studio
http://www.chrisrival.com

Jeff Morgan

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 08:45:13 AM »

LSilva wrote on Wed, 26 March 2008 11:13

fyi

Thanks,
Lou

Hello,
yes shipping gets to be expensive especially if shipped to west coast, because the blankets are heavy...

we recently improved the quality of the Producer's choice blankets with Grommets (MS-07RG).
we now use Microfiber outer fabric. This makes the white side even "whiter" because cotton fabric that we still use on "Producer's choice" with no grommets (MS-07) http://moverssupplies.com/BW-Cotton-Blanket-Producers-Choice / , tends to be a little "less white".

Also "by the popular demand" we now offer Producers choice blankets with grommets" at $205.00 a dozen. (comes to $17 per blanket including 5 grommets)
http://moverssupplies.com/MOVING-BLANKETS-BY-THE-DOZEN/Sound -Blankets-Producers-Choice-With-Grommets-By-dozen/

Thank you all for your support.
If you have any comments how to improve existing products or request for new products I would appreciate the feedback ( send it to support@moverssupplies.com).

Jeff.
http://www.moverssupplies.com

mike chafee

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 12:17:06 AM »

Kinetics sells a barrier material loaded quilted pad which is built for this purpose, with correct sizes and mounting scheme.

Add 2 inch studio foam panels, and you should be set

Mike Chafee

Tom D

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »

You can get blankets as well as tons of other"studio" items at  www.markertek.com.  

Tom Durso
First Bass Audio
Macomb, IL
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.