R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back noise in '65 Deluxe Reverb  (Read 5714 times)

anto

Back noise in '65 Deluxe Reverb
« on: May 08, 2004, 09:39:37 AM »

I would like to buy a used Fender Deluxe Reverb (the re-edition of the '65 model).

I tied it and I'm worried about the noise I hear from its speaker.
At first I thoght it was not working well but then I tried a brand new Twin Reverb and I realized the noise was the same...

I need it to record and I don't want to pick up noise...
Some people told me it's a normal noise for that kind of amp and that the mic won't pick it up. But I don't really understand how that self noise won't be recorded!!!

Does someone has experience recording this amp or any other Fender amp with that noise coming from the speaker(s)?
Is it normal or should I worry about it?

Thanks.

hargerst

Re: Back noise in '65 Deluxe Reverb
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 10:07:36 AM »

anto wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 08:39

I would like to buy a used Fender Deluxe Reverb (the re-edition of the '65 model).

I tied it and I'm worried about the noise I hear from its speaker.
At first I thoght it was not working well but then I tried a brand new Twin Reverb and I realized the noise was the same...

I need it to record and I don't want to pick up noise...
Some people told me it's a normal noise for that kind of amp and that the mic won't pick it up. But I don't really understand how that self noise won't be recorded!!!

Does someone has experience recording this amp or any other Fender amp with that noise coming from the speaker(s)?
Is it normal or should I worry about it?

Thanks.

Are you talking about the hiss and hum when the amplifier is cranked up?  If so, yes, that's normal, and should be fine if you gate the mic so that it's muted when no signal is present.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

anto

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »

I'm talking about a hiss (you know, it's like the sound of a computer really noisy...I don't know how to explane it clearly...). I could tell you it is like a continuous breath of wind and I can hear it also when I'm playing.

But it is always there, also with volume at 0! Ok, when you crank it up it gets bigger, but it's not a matter of volume...

So, should I have to use a gate? Or should I simply put the mic in the right place? (sorry but I didn't understand...).

anto

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 11:39:29 AM »

Ok, maybe I found the right way to explaine you what that noise is like:
It's like when you say "hist" to someone to tell him to shut up...
Or you prefer it's ike an electric fan...

Try to say SHUT without saying UT...
It's SHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHS....

I guess this is the better way to reproduce that sound with your mouth... Smile

hargerst

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 12:02:02 PM »

anto wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 10:03

I'm talking about a hiss (you know, it's like the sound of a computer really noisy...I don't know how to explane it clearly...). I could tell you it is like a continuous breath of wind and I can hear it also when I'm playing.

But it is always there, also with volume at 0! Ok, when you crank it up it gets bigger, but it's not a matter of volume...

So, should I have to use a gate? Or should I simply put the mic in the right place? (sorry but I didn't understand...).

Does the Deluxe have a Master Gain Control?  If it does, try turning that down while turning up the Channel Gain to compensate for lost level, and see if that helps.

anto

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 12:34:36 PM »

No, the Deluxe has only a volume control... Sad

hargerst

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 12:55:40 PM »

It could be a noisey front end tube.  Try a low noise input tube (probably a 12AX7 in there now), so try a 6072 or ECC83 (I think that's the replacement tube number). If you have more than enough output, you can also put in a lower gain preamp tube, like a 12AT7 or 12AU7.

anto

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 05:42:31 PM »

So, for you it will be a problem not to record that noise?
And so it is not normal to hear that noise?

floodstage

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 10:12:17 PM »

Remove all guitar cords from the amp.  Set it on 0.  Set reverb on 0.  Turn amp on.  If a Deluxe makes much noise at all with those settings, you have a problem (unless you are hyper-sensitive to hiss).  

Do you have a db meter?

If so, how loud is the hiss measured with the db meter one foot directly in front of the amp?

anto

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 07:06:07 AM »

Unfortunately I don't have a db meter.
What I can you is that the only not hear anymore that hiss was to unplug the speaker! What makes this thing stranger is the fact that a brand new Twin Reverb had the same hiss!

The guy of the shop told me it is a normal noise, but I just don't trust in people trying to sell something...

Do you have a Fender amp?
Have you ever recorded with that?
Was there a hiss?

I'm going to go back to the shop tomorrow and try it again with everything at 0....
I don't really know what to think!!!

grock5

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 03:20:21 PM »

Sounds like a bad tube. Find "V1" on the chassis, and try a different tube there.

A Svetlana 12ax7 will generally behave better with respect to noise than a Sovtek. Shipping these amps from the factory to the dealer can be enough to screw up the tube to the point where it needs to be replaced. UPS does not enhance tube life.

FYI, I wouldn't be unplugging the speaker with the amp on, fender amps tend to blow trannys rather easily that way.

- Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.