R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wallmounted AC/heater recommendations?  (Read 2197 times)

el duderino

wallmounted AC/heater recommendations?
« on: December 13, 2007, 03:27:09 PM »

I was wondering if any of you could recommend some wallmounted AC/heaters? I think I remember reading on PSW that Terry has some (well AC anyway, doubt he needs much heat) and they work quite well. For my situation it is really the only answer, but I don't know anyone who uses such a thing. I've looked around online but was wondering if anyone had a unit they really liked. thanks in advance.

gullfo

Re: wallmounted AC/heater recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 05:55:40 PM »

http://www.ductlessdepot.net/product_details-type-2-0-206.ht ml

you still need fresh air though so consider one or two air exchangers as well.

http://www.iaqsource.com/category.php/heat-recovery-ventilat ors-hrvs/?category=945
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

C.Cash

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:01:03 AM »

Hi Glen,
Does this ventilation system make much noise? or is this something that I would run when I am not tracking?

Thanks,

Clifford.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

el duderino

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 11:36:38 AM »

thanks glen. I was actually looking at that exact unit among a few others.

yes fresh air, unfortunately i do need it. I'll check out those air exchanges. thanks.

gullfo

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 11:42:44 PM »

NATAS wrote on Fri, 14 December 2007 08:01

Does this ventilation system make much noise? or is this something that I would run when I am not tracking?

i actually don't have hands-on experience with this unit but several folks have reported its very quiet except for when you need to do some critical acoustic work, and then you just turn it off for a few minutes while you record. you do need the air exchange though. for one of my designs under construction in Australia, the owner bought a couple Aeropac units which mount right into the exterior wall and they do a very good job of air exchange. They are nearly silent as well as preventing any sound from getting in or out. i'm not sure where you can get them outside of the UK or AUS.
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 10:17:34 AM »

gullfo wrote on Fri, 14 December 2007 23:42

{Ductless Mini-Splits are}...very quiet except for when you need to do some critical acoustic work, and then you just turn it off for a few minutes while you record...

This is indeed my experience.  Whilst they are not "critically quiet," they are "pretty quiet," and can work in many instances (quite inexpensively as well) if you follow G's suggestion.

garret

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:43:09 AM »

For any heating related questions, I can highly recommend the kind folks at www.heatinghelp.com.

Think of them as the PSW of heating systems... Seriously.    A bunch of experienced plumbers and hvac contractors, a few troublesome kids, a handful of quack theories, and a lot more tried and true solutions.  Good, open, non-commercial debate about what works and what doesn't....

Last year, they helped me figure out what to do with my 90 year old steam system.   Saved me 50% on my power bills, and I get to keep my lovely radiators...

http://www.heatinghelp.com/wall_forum.cfm

-Garret
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

Blair Morris

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 12:36:40 PM »

I put a $8,000.00 Mitsubishi mini-split (which is like the Sanyo in the link above, only quite a bit larger capacity) in my studio control room and I'd say right up front that any of these mini-splits are definitely NOT quiet enough to have on when working in your control room and needing to use your ears.

You're essentially bringing the air conditioning condenser, fan, and associated air turbulence directly into your listening space.

Having said that, they are inexpensive compared to a full blown A/C system, and if your geographic area isn't one that suffers 100 degree days in the summer, then turning off the mini-split while you're working might be a viable option.

I'm definitely NOT in a hot area of the country, so my mini-split can be off for a few hours on a "hot" day and the room remains stable temperature wise.

If you're in an area that gets extremely hot or humid days in the summer, and if you work in your suite even close to all day, then these may not a good option.......they ARE noisy, and if they're off all through your work day, your room's going to get too hot.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.