R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Trap "membrane"  (Read 2965 times)

Bill_Urick

Bass Trap "membrane"
« on: December 09, 2007, 06:06:53 AM »

Last night I was checking out some bass traps in the drum room of a small local studio here in the ATL. They had 1/4" peg board behind the fibreglass. Good idea? How would that affect the response of the trap?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Ethan Winer

Re: Bass Trap "membrane"
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »

Nobody can say for sure without measuring those specific panels with and without the pegboard in a lab. In my experience, things like wood and Masonite reduce the effectiveness of absorbers at low frequencies. One exception might be if the peg board were in front of the fiberglass, to create a sort of Helmholtz trap. But it doesn't sound like this is what they're doing. I suggest you ask them if this is a home-made idea or if it was based on actual research. Confused

--Ethan

rankus

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 02:13:20 PM »

What would you suggest as a good alternative membrane Ethan?  I am planning on trying to make some membrane traps to augment my broadband absorbers (and on a tight budget as always)

TIA

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Bill_Urick

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 09:40:19 PM »

Ethan Winer wrote on Sun, 09 December 2007 12:52

Nobody can say for sure without measuring those specific panels with and without the pegboard in a lab. In my experience, things like wood and Masonite reduce the effectiveness of absorbers at low frequencies. One exception might be if the peg board were in front of the fiberglass, to create a sort of Helmholtz trap. But it doesn't sound like this is what they're doing. I suggest you ask them if this is a home-made idea or if it was based on actual research. Confused

--Ethan

Ethan, in this instance how do you define "low frequencies"?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

jfrigo

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 12:49:35 PM »

If it has holes, it's not acting as a membrane, rather a resonant absorber (assuming a sealed cavity behind). The hole density in off-the-shelf peg board is typically too great to be very effective at low frequencies. I'd have to measure and run the numbers for the specific case, but I'm thinking mid to upper hundreds which takes it above what you'd typically call bass trapping.

Ethan Winer

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 04:48:05 PM »

Bill Urick wrote on Sun, 09 December 2007 21:40

Ethan, in this instance how do you define "low frequencies"?

I dunno, maybe below 100 to 200 Hz or so.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 04:49:12 PM »

rankus wrote on Sun, 09 December 2007 14:13

What would you suggest as a good alternative membrane Ethan?

This will sound like a supermarket joke, but paper or plastic. Laughing

--Ethan

tom eaton

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 06:22:55 PM »

I have some RPG traps that have steel membranes.  Seriously.

http://www.rpginc.com/products/modexplate/modexp_img/Type-2- sm.gif

-t
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 18 queries.