R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digi ending TDM support  (Read 11234 times)

springman

Digi ending TDM support
« on: May 07, 2004, 01:01:10 AM »

I heard a rumor today that Digidesign is ending all support for TDM systems.  Anyone hear anything about this?  I already had a low opinion of the company, but disontinuing support for a product sold as "state of the art"  only two years ago seems  like a new low for them.  Comments?

jgp_recording

Re: Digi ending TDM support
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 01:44:11 AM »

Rumor indeed. What digi IS doing is ending support for Mix systems with lots of warning. Check their wbsite.

drew

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 09:16:21 AM »

And GM is dropping support for cars.

David Schober

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 09:52:49 AM »

drew wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 08:16

What??  George has become Amish?  So much for the long awaited compressor plugin!
David Schober

Seeker-Ian

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 05:09:01 PM »

Digi is dropping Mix support, not TDM. HD is still TDM.

and that only means 6.4 will be the last version of PT's software to work on the "obsolete" hardware.

it's OK though IMHO... I am still happily running 5.x I tried 6 for a week and it was plagues with spinning beach balls, kernal panics, and sluggishness.

I think if Digi supported accell cards with 5.x, most wouldnt have upgraded.

tptman

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 06:41:45 PM »

Hehehe, makes you wonder what version 7 will add.

Peter "tptman" Green
Peter "tptman" Green

drew

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 09:02:34 AM »

David Schober wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 14:52

drew wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 08:16

What??  George has become Amish?  So much for the long awaited compressor plugin!

I know!!! As soon as I hit send I realized what I posted.

Brent Handy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 02:50:06 PM »

CKerian wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 22:09

Digi is dropping Mix support, not TDM. HD is still TDM.

and that only means 6.4 will be the last version of PT's software to work on the "obsolete" hardware.

it's OK though IMHO... I am still happily running 5.x I tried 6 for a week and it was plagues with spinning beach balls, kernal panics, and sluggishness.

I think if Digi supported accell cards with 5.x, most wouldnt have upgraded.

Pro Tools HD is TDMII, which is a noteworthy distinction.  Original TDM cards do not work with HD systems.  However, 888's, etc can be interfaced through the Legacy ports on HD I/O units like the 192, etc.

I fail to understand how a company is faulted for no longer supporting outdated software and hardware, or for being large and profitable.  Could you survive with someone paying you once for a recording or product, that you must sweeten, edit, apend, etc indefinately?  Come on.

henchman

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 09:54:51 PM »

Brent wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 14:50

I fail to understand how a company is faulted for no longer supporting outdated software and hardware, or for being large and profitable.  Could you survive with someone paying you once for a recording or product, that you must sweeten, edit, apend, etc indefinately?  Come on.

How happy would you bought a car last year for 20k, and the company told you it was stopping support or parts manufacturing, thereby rendering your car comptely useless in the next 2 years?

Waylon

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 10:18:38 PM »

henchman wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 20:54

Brent wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 14:50

How happy would you bought a car last year for 20k, and the company told you it was stopping support or parts manufacturing, thereby rendering your car comptely useless in the next 2 years?

erm.. Olsmobils just did that IIRC, and besides, is DIGI plannign on driving around and smashing Mix Rigs? they will not cease to work. This has been a long time coming, and I cant believe it is a surprise to anyone.

plus, lets all go out and buy new tubes for a fairchild.... or look into parts for an OTARi 2" machiene next year... it happens.
Steve Smith

"Oh of course not, Henrik! The compressor is just one small part of this nutricious breakfast. The brains between my two ears also count as well."

Zoesch

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 04:50:03 AM »

Except you can actually find tubes for a Fairchild AND parts for Otari 2" machines... at a price, but you can... let's see that happening with your DAW of choice
It has always been Ringo's fault

Rob Darling

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 08:31:24 AM »

Mix Hardware won't stop working.  It just won't run under any new software introduced.  It will still work fine and if you need to tear down your computer to do a reinstall, I'm sure you'll still be able to get a copy of the 6.4 software from them down the road (parts).  And in the unlikely event that something goes wrong, it will still be serviceable.

I use Nuendo now, but still have my HD rig, because, bottom line, it is a good investment.  The only thiing in digital that can exceed its investment value is the Radar.

Brent Handy

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 07:20:07 PM »

I did, it's called buying Pro Tools HD, only to have Accel come out after I shot my wad.

It is the nature of the biz.  No studio ever stopped purchasing anything.  First it was custom consoles, 4,8,16,24,32, etc recorders (pick your platform analog or digital), then it was automation, digital reverbs, delays, house sync systems, monitors, mics, etc.

New products do not always make what you have worthless.  You may not be able to use the next gen stuff to it's fullest capabilities right off the bat.  What you have been using for the past three years may be more profitable, as it may have less down time.  There will be bugs the first year.  Third party manufacturers have to get their lines adapted.  There are conflicts with that, etc.  

Your gear still works.  If you can't work without new toys then you better quit, because there will always be somebody with more than you.  It doesn't bother me, because I go to the same sale/bid sites that the big studios liquidate on, and see those new toys not being used there either.

What has changed the DAW world so dramatically that you have to ditch your current, recently purchased system?  Not much.

oudplayer

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 11:04:50 PM »

Brent wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 16:20

Your gear still works.  If you can't work without new toys then you better quit, because there will always be somebody with more than you.  It doesn't bother me, because I go to the same sale/bid sites that the big studios liquidate on, and see those new toys not being used there either.

What has changed the DAW world so dramatically that you have to ditch your current, recently purchased system?  Not much.

It's not just an issue of new toys. It's an issue of getting support when problems arise, which they often do with TDM systems of every vintage. Other manufacturers in the pro audio world service their products for more than 4 years. That we tacitly accept less when it comes to computer-based audio is a sad tale, in my opinion (and here I don't single out Digi, as MOTU is much the same).

My friend uses a NUBUS-based protools system which he purchased new in 1998. Though the Protools hardware and software kind of still works, the system was designed in such a way that very few makes of hard drives were supported. Newer hard drives are not supported. Thus, it's impossible to make upgrades to the system to keep it up and running. Compare this with other pro audio components that use parts that are serviceable and replacable.

It's a case of system design. I think that Digi's systems are all, without exception, designed with planned obselescence in the short-term. They're systems you can't keep up and running smoothly over many years of use.

How many years from now will it be when a HD Accel customer will call up and Digi will have noone on staff to support the product? One year? Two years?
"BTW. You don't REALLY believe digital sounds like "SOURCE".... do you?

Because that would make you a insuperable paragon of nincompoopery." -Slipperman

Loco

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 12:14:04 AM »

A friend of mine mixes with a bad-ass TDM rig... he says he will change it when he becomes blind. I believe him.
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 09:45:59 PM »

I´m very happy with my 5.1.3 Mix plus system after all these years. Quite stable. Hey, don´t ya think the first ones to buy buggy stuff would receive a discount on their future purchases?
I see so many people complain about 6.x.
How to deal wth thaton a pro non stoprecording facility?
Bet there will be a stable standby Mix system/logic rig .
I´ve heard HD OF cards are going cheaper than mix core/farms. True?
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

Erik

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 10:00:16 PM »

Al
Erik Gavriluk, Bomb Factory Recording Studios
"The modern trouble is not the use of machinery, but the abuse of it." --Gustav Stickley, 1909

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 10:22:09 PM »

Ok. I wonder how will be the market price drop with HD process cards.
I´m glad I did not go PT HD OF. Accel seems to be a longer life product... Rolling Eyes
Alécio Costa Studio

Listen to my album at:

MySpace:

Erik

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 10:39:33 PM »

Since the Accel cards share two of the same chips with the original HD cards, and since these are the chips used for TDM I/O and other housekeeping chores, I don't think you'll see Digi drop support for the 'non-Accel' variant of HD.

--Erik
"The modern trouble is not the use of machinery, but the abuse of it." --Gustav Stickley, 1909

Brent Handy

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 10:46:39 PM »

I haven't noticed one problem with 10.2 and 6.1.  None.  

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2004, 10:47:28 PM »

Thanks for the info!
Alécio Costa Studio

Listen to my album at:

MySpace:

music

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2004, 10:33:37 PM »

Keep in mind we are right smack dab in the middle of some of the biggest technological changes in human history. All computer systems including the digi stuff will be outdated relatively soon after their release due to constantly changing technological advances that are aimed at progress. I'm sure if we as a race decided to stop thinking, our current systems would have a much longer shelf life. It sucks financially but is worth it in the end. Although, Digi and others could help out by lowering their prices a bit.
 "Man is immortal; therefore he must die endlessly. For life is a creative idea; it can only find itself in changing forms"
-Rabindranath Tagore

charles maynes

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 11:13:11 PM »

I think there is a California law on the books saying that products must supported by manufacturers 5 or 6 years past there sale date- Mix reached that so it seems- The support for original PT hardware stopped around 1996/7

Digi has been decent enough to stay in business and at least offer a decent upgrade path to their customer base-
I think it is a little unfair to paint this as an "abandonment"

However- I must say I had a somewhat difficult transition to OSX and 6.x PT- Its done now, and I really like it- but It is a shame so many plugins (THAT I OWN, thank you very much)
are now not a part of my tool set- these include Wider(recently too), HyperPrism, Spatializer, A3D and Lexiverb I am sure there are MANY more too.

It pisses me off because I could have bought hardware, but hell, I learned in the process.

ProTools 6.4 is pretty cool though so I did get something in return I guess.

charles maynes

henchman

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2004, 12:10:40 PM »

charles maynes wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 23:13

I think there is a California law on the books saying that products must supported by manufacturers 5 or 6 years past there sale date- Mix reached that so it seems- The support for original PT hardware stopped around 1996/7

Except I was just galncing through a 2001 mix magazine, and saw the Digi Mix add. So, if that really is a law, they would still have a few years to go.

Duardo

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2004, 12:47:15 PM »

So what's the definition of "support"?  It doesn't mean they have to continue to develop new software for it, does it?  If you're having problems with a Mix system I'm sure they'll continue to support it in that regard...

-Duardo
Duardo Hunter

henchman

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2004, 02:24:20 PM »

I think the big thing is not having new updates running on older systems becasue fo a purely finacial reason.
For example, the decision to not have future software updates run on Digi 001's is IMO a pyrely financial reason to force new hardware purchases.

Their excuse is that it is becasue of Apple hardware, yet this would not affect PC users at all.

I accept that they could embark on a new architecure that would make older sytems obsolete. But I haven't seen any major software changes at a basic level that should exclude operation on Mix systems.  

Remeber. Digi makes it's money from hardware sales. It's in their best interest to exclude older hadrwae from the "will work on" list. And I resally think it's a sofwtare switch that's been turned off.
I just can't see any reason why new software would not work on a native Digi001 system, as everyhting is doen in sofwtare, not hardware.

But that's just me.

Touchwood Studios

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2004, 12:32:42 PM »

henchman wrote on Fri, 21 May 2004 12:24

I think the big thing is not having new updates running on older systems becasue fo a purely finacial reason.
For example, the decision to not have future software updates run on Digi 001's is IMO a pyrely financial reason to force new hardware purchases.

Their excuse is that it is becasue of Apple hardware, yet this would not affect PC users at all.

I accept that they could embark on a new architecure that would make older sytems obsolete. But I haven't seen any major software changes at a basic level that should exclude operation on Mix systems.  

Remeber. Digi makes it's money from hardware sales. It's in their best interest to exclude older hadrwae from the "will work on" list. And I resally think it's a sofwtare switch that's been turned off.
I just can't see any reason why new software would not work on a native Digi001 system, as everyhting is doen in sofwtare, not hardware.

But that's just me.

I think if you take a look a some of the facts you may see things a little different.
001 cards I think came out at the end or 1999 or early 2000. and the software rev was 5.0 (Digi's first version for MIDI) Then about a year later came 5.1 - (Major improvements were made)
Now today with the new G5's some of the older PCI cards will not work. I really think it's understandable that four year old card will not work in a machine from today.
None of my old video cards and SCSI cards work either.
You can still use an 888 & 882 interface with a HD Accel system (ONLY at 44/48)
So IMO think they do a good job at trying to make there hardware last as long as possible.
As far as the PC stuff goes when 80% of your market is Mac based it's pretty hard to keep all the old stuff going for ONE platform. I can see the economics of that plus the fact of customer confusion more or less companies do have to try to keep things a s consistent as possible.
I am very familiar with a companies software development issues having dealt directly with that myself. Software development is very complex especially with some as complex as Protools. Mac, PC, HD, Accel, Mix, 001, 002, 002R plus throw in all the different interfaces , Sync Plug-ins 3rd party PI., expansion chassis issues, Big systems, small systems ETC, ETC, ETC.
This alone makes software development very complex and very expensive.
So saying it's just a switch to turn on is really over simplified
True Digidesign is a hardware company... they have to make money otherwise they would be out of business and we would would not get any more updates when new computers come out.
The other important think is that this is all based on computers which technology seems to change like the weather.

henchman

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2004, 11:28:25 PM »

You can rationalize all you want. But the LE sofwtare does not rely on hardware.
All the boxes are basically big copy pretection dongles. I see no logic why newere versions of PT's LE won't work on an 001, but will work on say an Mbox.

Touchwood Studios

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2004, 02:59:55 PM »

The answer is simple ... 001 cards do not work on a G5. And as soon as the G4 stops shipping in the future, newer versions of PT will not work on a G4 (That may take a couple of years). But you can see the writing on the wall today. Open up 3 Waves PI windows in a Dual G4 1.42 and watch you GUI come to a slow painful crawl.
Or load up some Altiverbs or IR-1's and watch a G4 die.

satisfactory

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2004, 03:30:48 PM »

Touchwood!   Embarassed
justin collins,
satisfactoryatburntsienna dot com

henchman

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2004, 02:01:06 AM »

Touchwood Studios wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 14:59

The answer is simple ... 001 cards do not work on a G5. And as soon as the G4 stops shipping in the future, newer versions of PT will not work on a G4

But they are still shipping G4's. People are still using G4's.
So it makes no sense.

Loco

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2004, 02:03:37 PM »

henchman wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 02:01

Touchwood Studios wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 14:59

The answer is simple ... 001 cards do not work on a G5. And as soon as the G4 stops shipping in the future, newer versions of PT will not work on a G4

So it makes no sense.

I've seen recently someone using a NuBus PT system. His system is no longer supported.

What were we talking about?
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines

henchman

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2004, 11:59:10 PM »

Loco wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 14:03

I've seen recently someone using a NuBus PT system. His system is no longer supported.

What were we talking about?

We were talking about systems that are still being shipped and sold. Clearly NuBus Mac's do not fall under that category.

Please pay attention.

Loco

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2004, 12:21:24 AM »

Henchie! How are your 5 Fairchilds? I'm paying attention. I was just checking how far back you hated the empire.

BTW, how's support going on the Fairchild side?

cheers!
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

Erik

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2004, 02:49:33 AM »

henchman wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 02:01

So it makes no sense.

Let's see.  Digi dropped development (NOT support) for PCI hardware running with Pro Tools LE.

They currently sell only USB and Firewire interfaces for Pro Tools LE.

Two years ago people were bitching that Digi didn't have a Firewire interface for Pro Tools LE.

None of their competitors have PCI interfaces or the resulting driver development overhead and complexity.

They're going to spend less time in legacy driver development and maintenance that has precisely no value to new customers, and put those resources into improving the Pro Tools application instead.

You're right.  It makes absolutely no sense.

--Erik

henchman

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2004, 04:37:54 AM »

Loco wrote on Wed, 26 May 2004 00:21

Henchie! How are your 5 Fairchilds? I'm paying attention. I was just checking how far back you hated the empire.

BTW, how's support going on the Fairchild side?

cheers!

No problem on the support sied. And they're still going strong. Haven't broken down once.

michael c

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2004, 05:45:56 PM »

Hey Mark-

I know this is getting off topic here, but can Fairlights (Other than the new Dream system) directly import AIFF files yet?  A terrific post house I send music files to still can't import AIFF files on their mfx (?) systems.  Is there an update for this?

Michael

henchman

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2004, 02:41:57 AM »

michael c wrote on Wed, 26 May 2004 17:45

Hey Mark-

I know this is getting off topic here, but can Fairlights (Other than the new Dream system) directly import AIFF files yet?  A terrific post house I send music files to still can't import AIFF files on their mfx (?) systems.  Is there an update for this?

Michael

I think so, with the latest software update.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up