R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what is your favorite hardware reverb unit for drums  (Read 6769 times)

beau

what is your favorite hardware reverb unit for drums
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:32:51 PM »

hi.. i have always used real rooms in records i have done in the past... but now, since all the drum rooms i have used in the past are closing, i am having to fake room sounds, and i am doing more and more live sound while i am on the road, i am looking to get a great drum reverb box....

looking to keep it under 2k... but if you could list some of your favorites boxes and their applications,  that would be great.

ie.  box-application-price

thanks

beau
I'll take ape tit for 500.

kats

Re: what is your favorite hardware reverb unit for drums
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:43:23 AM »

The plate algos on the Kurzweil KSP8 are really good as far as fake & bake is concerned. I like them better than the Lex stuff by far. They ebay under 2k all the time. The good thing about the box is that is is very very deep and versatile.

The only thing is that it takes awhile to get your head around the thing. If you just need a simple box for drums (set and forget), they have the Rumor - $700 or so. Same plate algos.

My preference is a little compression on the drums to bring out some room ambience with a touch of plate. I've never really been able to get actual room & hall algos to work for me in a way that I like.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Daniel Farris

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 01:29:39 PM »

As much as I love expensive hardware like the TC 5000 and the Eventide stuff, I have to say that I still really like the Lexicon LXP-1.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, since they can be had for less than $100 on eBay. But I never had any trouble getting exactly the sound I was after. They're really great little units, although certainly better for "effect" than emulating an actual space.

Gain stage with care.

DF

Iain Graham

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »

I had an M2000 out for a gig on the weekend, first time I'd used one in ages.

I loved it, medium gold-foil plate.  Very Happy
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com

KB_S1

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 05:36:32 AM »

Iain you will be glad to hear that I eventually got Paul's M2000 plumbed in (then realised he had done it digitally too).

Not had a chance to use it on drums yet but it was excellent on piano so it is a must for the next drum session.

Gold foil plate eh.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Iain Graham

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 08:07:55 AM »

I was always unplugging the AES/EBU lines he ran. Mainly cos he kept taking the 2 slightly longer, equal length cables I had made for overheads.....
Iain Graham

www . soundart . com

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 01:29:01 PM »

lexicon pcm 70

Iain Graham

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 10:16:29 PM »

Agreed, I think I have one of them in the FOH rack for my gig on Monday....that or an M2000. Can't remember which rack I'm taking at the moment....
Iain Graham

www . soundart . com

Fig

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 01:57:15 PM »

Hi,

I wanted to add another vote for the M2000 from tc electronic.

We also had an Eclipse in a guest engineer's rack that I found to be pretty remarkable.

Ideally, I would use a real EMT plate (which is how I was raised), but I have yet to figure out how to obtain one, let alone where it would go in the facility.

I would like to try out the KSP8, as its feature set is expansive and I really like what Kurzweil has been up to, but the price...ugh!

I also used to like the PCM70 (though my place has an 80) and the 480, too - but for some reason, Lexicon has kinda fallen off my wish list.  We had an LXP-1 for a while there, too - it had it moments, for what it is.

Rev 7 and SPXes are still pretty useful and seem to be pretty cheap on the used market.

I'll take hardware over plug-ins anyday.

$0.02,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

TheViking

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 04:30:40 PM »

Lexicon 300
Yamaha REV7
Alesis Quadraverb (original)

and, I loved the Lexi-Verb plug in on PT5.1.   If anyone has a Convolution of that reverb's hall or plate presets, PM me and let me know.
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

tom eaton

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »

I really like my Sony DRE S777 verb, but I would never take it on the road.  I still love my two PCM60s, not a big fan of the REV7 on drums (though I love them on elec gtrs), the Lex M300 is a fave for general verb (Warm Plate always seems to be loaded), but for drums in a "real" room, the DRE always seems to do the trick for me.

tom

Michael Petkau

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 07:41:57 PM »

tom eaton wrote on Sun, 02 December 2007 19:16

... the Lex M300 is a fave for general verb (Warm Plate always seems to be loaded)

That IS a great patch!

tom eaton

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 06:36:03 PM »

Many, many times I have forgotten that the M300 is more than just a reverb.  I think I might have changed presets once in the last year.  Eek.

The Warm Plate thing just works for me, it's very tweakable, and sounds good with a minimum of fuss.  Easy to open the top up, or darken it... the eight parameters that are up for the primary parameter edit screen offer tons of control without any menu spelunking.

t

RSettee

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 01:56:22 PM »

When I outgrew my Roland VS840EX, I now use it as a reverb send. Great reverbs. I love early reflection options, it gives the illusion that there's those invisible walls around the sound, enveloping you. The reverbs in my AKAI DPS vary....there's different types--theatre, small room, etc. It takes a long time to dial in a great sound, but once you do, there's lots of options to custom tweak sounds. Some of those reverb types have early reflection options (or "near" in the case of the DPS16), some don't. I'm not always happy with the studio's room sound, and even in some bathrooms, i'm not always totally happy. I think that as long as the high frequencies are damped properly (a problem with any reverb system) and customized to the sound so that the high artificial reverb frequencies are cut--as well as you being realistic with yourself as to what type of room reverb you're trying to create-- a great sound can be dialed in. Well, not always....one of my first reverb units was a Realistic reverb unit....which is terrible, but it has it's own sound of terrible that kinda works in some applications, ha ha.

rob s

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 07:47:17 PM »

pcm 70
emt plate
(thats hardware isn't it?)
4ADL
a working 2016.
lexicon 200
these have been very useful over the years.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.