R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intellectual Property and Real Life  (Read 6435 times)

nobby

Re: Intellectual Property and Real Life
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2004, 03:51:46 AM »

maarvold wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 12:28

And by this logic, if a solution to this problem that meets your standards is never developed, then no software worthy of protection should ever be created.

Courtney Love

Corn Hole Music[/quote]
Quote:

It doesn't have to meet MY standards.  But if cracked plug-ins are everywhere, maybe the copy protection scheme wasn't strong enough/ingenious enough.  
And please--by all means--let the next poster be someone who has never, ever used a piece of software in violation of the rights of the creators of that software.  

Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

I never have.
And please, by all means, let the next poster not imply that I'm a hypocrite without having a clue.

Courtney Love

Hell Hole Enterprises
"Rock 'n' Roll, if it were a movie, would be Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

~ Slipperman

RIP Steve "Loudist" Gursky

maarvold

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2004, 06:22:30 PM »

nobjob wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 00:51

maarvold wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 12:28

And by this logic, if a solution to this problem that meets your standards is never developed, then no software worthy of protection should ever be created.

Courtney Love

Corn Hole Music

Quote:

It doesn't have to meet MY standards.  But if cracked plug-ins are everywhere, maybe the copy protection scheme wasn't strong enough/ingenious enough.  
And please--by all means--let the next poster be someone who has never, ever used a piece of software in violation of the rights of the creators of that software.  

Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

I never have.
And please, by all means, let the next poster not imply that I'm a hypocrite without having a clue.

Courtney Love

Hell Hole Enterprises
[/quote]

Then, and I mean this, we should all salute you and be inspired to follow your example.  Please don't beat me up for telling my truth about what I see some music professionals doing nearly every day.  

To me, although software protection seems to me to be getting better in some areas, the problem feels to me like the old saying (paraphrasing) that if you owe the bank $1,000, and can't pay, the bank is in trouble;  if you owe the bank $1,000,000, and can't pay, the bank is in trouble.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Waylon

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2004, 10:33:03 PM »

Ok.. ther eis a big Misunderstanding here. Audio Ease is NOT saying that people cannot sell thier IRs. Or that they ( audio ease) owns them. They are saying that you cannot resample altiverb Irs for use in another program. When you make an IR, you record the room, and then use a piece of software that Audio ease created and made available free of charge ( it was originally a fre download, it is now bundled in the alitverb downlod, since it is worthless without altiverb anyway) to make it usable by Altiverb. If you wnat to take that sample and use another companies software to pre process it for thier convolution verb, go ahead, JUST DONT USE THE ALTIVERB SOFTARE TO MAKE SAMPLES FOR OTHER COMPANIES. It is not like they are restricitn what you cna do with your work at all, it is more liek they are sellign you a car, and letting you into the garage to do as much work as you wat on that car, make new parts excetra, but tellign you not to start using thier garage for free and then sellign the stuff you make there to thier competitor. totally diffrent issue, IMHO.
Steve Smith

"Oh of course not, Henrik! The compressor is just one small part of this nutricious breakfast. The brains between my two ears also count as well."
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 16 queries.