R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeppelin remasters examined by London Times...  (Read 12421 times)

Adam Dempsey

Re: Zeppelin remasters examined by London Times...
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 07:25:17 PM »

Checking out Mothership here in the studio and it sounds "small" and severely lacking bottom "oomf" - to me, definitely worse than even the very first CD issues. Back to Marino's remasters..
The first note on Zep II's The Lemon Song immediately sounds bigger and more sustained. Return of the Kick Drum and you can again lose yourself in Jones's bass part alone. -17dB rms vs Mothership's -10 rms - so what.
Adam Dempsey
Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Add presence, or subtract absence?

compasspnt

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »

- .... .- -. -.- ... / --. ..- -.-- ... .-.-.- / .-- .- - -.-. .... / --- ..- - / ..-. --- .-. / -... .. .-. -.. ... .-.-.-

zmix

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 01:04:04 PM »

- .... . .-. . .----. ... / .- / .-.. .- -.. -.-- / .-- .... --- .----. ... / ... ..- .-. . / .- .-.. .-.. / - .... .- - .----. ... / .-.. .- ...- .-. -.-- / .. ... / --. --- .-.. -.. / .- -. -.. / ... .... . .----. ... / --.- ..- .- -. - .. --.. .. -. --. / - .... . / ... - .- .. .-. ... - . .--. ... / - --- / ----- -.. -... ..-. ...

thephatboi

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 12:54:16 PM »

I haven't listened to all the remasters but I have all the vinyl records and have to say when I bought Stairway to Heaven on cd a few years ago I was greatly disapointed AND PISSED off! At the end of the song the electric guitar riff under "and as we wind on down the road etc" is barely discernable whereas on the vinyl it is rocking the whole section to the end of the song. What is that??!! Did some ego-I-think-I-am-God engineer REMIX it? or is that something that happened in mastering.... LAME! After that I decided to keep listening to my records so as not to get angry at people I don't know....nothing is sacred...

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »

..  / .-.. --- ...- .  / - .... .. ...  / - .... .-. . .- -..   / ... ---  / -- ..- -.-. ....  

index.php/fa/6932/0/

This place is the best, you guys crack me up.

I bought Mothership but haven't gotten to sit down for a good listen yet. Admittantly, I know almost nothing about the mastering game.  But my question is, the original will always be there, right? Does it really matter how many times the "good old stuff" gets remastered?  I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know.  Please be merciful.

Jessica
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.