Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PT 7.4  (Read 5689 times)

Electric Warrior

Re: PT 7.4
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »

TheViking wrote on Mon, 19 November 2007 18:44

So, this Elastic Time thing is kinda like beat detective but you can be a little more aggressive with it, plus you can change tempos without changing pitch, etc???

anybody know if it can change tempo WITH changing pitch? might be useful for creating modulation effects.

Chris Moore

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Mon, 19 November 2007 21:35

c17 wrote on Mon, 19 November 2007 14:17

Small changes aren't so noticeable, larger ones are. I'm excited about this feature though as it can be used for varispeed, which has been pretty hard to implement in PT so far.

What about the VSO option under session setup?

It can only vary the speed by a minor amount (one whole note? i forget the exact amount), and doesn't work when PT is clocked to an external source.
Chris Moore

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 05:14:35 PM »

Electric Warrior wrote on Tue, 20 November 2007 08:37

So, this Elastic Time thing is kinda like beat detective but you can be a little more aggressive with it, plus you can change tempos without changing pitch, etc???

anybody know if it can change tempo WITH changing pitch? might be useful for creating modulation effects.

yes it can.

you set the elastic track to varispeed, and set your tempo map accordingly.  it will sound like a reel to reel deck changing speeds.

leopard is causing more porblems then just crashes and plugs.  i've heard that most leopard users can not pass PT sessions off to tiger users.  something about leopard is wrecking the file structures.

i've also heard a few people not being able to trade PT sessions with other leopard users.  basically they can only work on their own stuff on their own machine.

heard another person that couldn't open sessions originated on tiger even from his own machine.  he had to start sessions from scratch.

it boils down to this......i do this for a living, and if digi says they aren't ready for leopard and won't support it, i'll stay in tiger which is ROCK SOLID so i can put food on the table for my family.....

i'll get the family pak of leopard and play with it on my wife's iMac and our powerbook.

j.hall

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »

BTW.....elastic time is very cool.

it's not beat detective.

as a mixer, i can't say "hey, lets punch that in again so you can tighten it up with the drums"

elastic time RULES for these small tweaks to timing.  cymbal decay ruining a drum edit is a non-issue, dragging back a late bass note and keeping the decay is now a reality without delay or various other tricks.

took me about 30 minutes to get the idea of elastic time.....it'll take me months to get fluid at using it.

i suspect i'll be using it a moderate amount in minor places.

Electric Warrior

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 05:36:14 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 20 November 2007 23:14

Electric Warrior wrote on Tue, 20 November 2007 08:37

yes it can.

you set the elastic track to varispeed, and set your tempo map accordingly.  it will sound like a reel to reel deck changing speeds.

nice. I'm gonna buy it as soon as my budget allows...

Tomas Danko

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 05:23:35 AM »

I'm curious how Elastic Time fares against Melodyne, in sound quality.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

j.hall

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 10:26:34 AM »

you are thinking of elastic time the wrong way.

melodyne can do many of the things elastic time can do, but in a much different way.

elastic time is seamless with PT's normal operation.  you have insane control over elastic time when in grid mode (or if the song was cut to a click at all)  

ET also has different algorithms to increase flexibility beyond what melodyne is even capable of.

for me, i'll be primarily using ET for minor tweaks here and there to tighten up a groove or vocal performance.  i've never been a heavy handed editor, and many needed edits don't work well.  ET solves 95% of those issues for me.

melodyne does not!

also, ET is NOT pitch correction.  it WILL NOT tune a vocal.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 05:06:34 PM »

Yes, I understand the great thing about ET being totally integrated in ProTools. It's the actual engine quality I'm curious of.

Mind you, DAW's such as Ableton Live, Acid and others started doing these tricks years ago inside the arrange window. Still, it's great that it's finally come to the Major DAW in use in today's studio facilities.

We've got it in Logic as well, these days. Smile
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

rankus

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 01:50:15 PM »

We've had it in Nuendo for a couple of years as well.  Useful on  occasion.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

j.hall

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 03:40:29 PM »

if you are questioning it's overall sound quality and not simple functionality, i can't comment yet.  i've only played with it as i did the upgrade in between records.

i have the week off then two projects start next week and i won't see daylight till '08.

i'm sure have i'll tons of comments in the next month.

mattrussell

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 09:06:10 AM »

been running 7.4 on one of my two rigs and so far, so good.  not much else to say.  did some dubs, editing and mixing and it all works fine.  still trying to wrap my head around elastic time.  they certainly make it look easy and maybe it is, but it's def a little tough at first.  going to update my 2nd rig when i get my new computer in the next couple of weeks.

matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

j.hall

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »

elastic audio has my head spinning.

i can get what i want done, but it is much harder then they make it look.

the warp markers and how they work don't make sense to me yet.

mattrussell

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 11:57:13 AM »

yeah jay, i'm with you.  still really struggling to go fast with it.  there are parts of it that i get and parts that i don't.  i've never been so compelled to "save session as" like i am with this.  it's seems like when things blow up on me, it screws up A LOT of things.  was doing the SSA about every ten minutes just to keep things straight.

matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

j.hall

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 03:42:40 PM »

yeah.  so far when i've played with it, i do a save as and call that session "xxxxx ELASTIC"

i think if you are in grid mode, EA is much easier to deal with.  just from the stretching and moving stand point.

i've used it on two songs NOT cut to a click and got what i wanted done, but it took a long time.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.