R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your dictatorship at work Pt II - the War On Dissent  (Read 3615 times)

wwittman

Your dictatorship at work Pt II - the War On Dissent
« on: November 15, 2007, 03:52:39 PM »

Bush Administration Attacks Our Freedom to Protest
Posted by Jim Hightower, November 14, 2007 at 12:30 PM.

George W likes to claim that global terrorists are out to attack America because "They hate our freedoms." But we're learning that it's really the Bushites themselves who hate America's freedoms.

Retired Army Col. Ann Wright and one of America's leading peace activists, Medea Benjamin, have recently felt the bullying hate of the Bush regime. Both women have been very vigorous practitioners of our freedom to speak out and assemble in opposition to government policies, using these freedoms to protest the war in Iraq. They've put themselves on the line and been willing to undergo several arrests for their nonviolent civil disobedience.

This is as American as the 4th of July. Yet Wright, Benjamin, and civil libertarians everywhere were stunned to learn last August that Bush's FBI has suddenly turned this misdemeanor into a weapon of political intimidation, using it to bar the two women from traveling to Canada... and perhaps to other nations.

When they tried to visit Canada, Wright and Benjamin were detained by Canadian customs officials and told that their names were on an FBI no-entry list. Even though this list is meant to stop fugitives, potential terrorists, and violent felons - not peaceful protesters - they were told that they would have to apply for "criminal rehabilitation" and pay a fine if they ever wanted to enter Canada.

Unintimidated, the women have since tried to re-enter, this time at the invitation of five members of parliament to come speak to that assembly. Yet, Canada's officials have bowed to the Bushites, honoring the FBI's no-entry list, rather than respecting their own parliament. The FBI refuses to say why non-violent protesters are on a terrorist list.

Chillingly, the U.S. media have ignored this story, but you can learn more about this blatant assault on our freedoms by going to www.codepinkalert.org.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

rankus

Re: Your dictatorship at work Pt II - the War On Dissent
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 07:01:18 PM »

Wow...

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

PRobb

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:56:14 PM »

For Bush, and the far right in general, the commitment to freedom and democracy is highly suspect. Freedom of speech means freedom of mainstream, acceptable speech (flag burning should be unconstitutional). Elections are only valid if they approve of the results (See Venezuela and Palestine). State's rights means states have the right to do things they approve of (not medical marijuana, doctor assisted suicide or gay rights).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

maxdimario

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 08:14:10 PM »

This has been in the planning for years and years..

it's just like applied math.. or playing chess..

they WILL get what they want..

the best card they hold in their favour is the fact that americans do not feel threatened.. BY THEM

the constitution has been slowly demolished since the early 1900's..

the fed. reserve bank was one law which was anti-constitution and it gave the power of controlling the economy at will to an elite.

slowly the 'freedom' which americans enjoy is going to be no more.

if people don't act now, the only solution will be armed revolt against the government..

.. these people financed Hitler.. doesn't that mean something?

Barry Hufker

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:24:03 AM »

What I hope everyone here (at the forum and all subgroups) is

"What will I do today to counteract the harm being done to my country?"

Then I hope everyone will write emails, make phone calls, tell friends, get organized, protest and anything else that can be thought of.

We are in deep shit and you know it won't end when Bush/Cheney are out of office.

maxdimario

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:58:42 PM »

well said.

mgod

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 12:17:10 PM »

Its obvious that this isn't just a US problem, its a Canadian one as well.

Welcome to the North American Union.

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »

This is nothing new.
Remember the Free-Trade Agreement?(NAFTA)
Canadians are almost as comatose regarding political jiggery-pokery as Americans.
Pierre Trudeau suspended our constitution as recently as 1970 to suit his own ends.(Quebec FLQ crisis). How are you going to argue with the Army?
And he was a 'liberal'.
Why do we kid ourselves?
Govt seem to do anything the fuck they want.
From up here it looks like the U.S. gov't is ramping up to that awful point in it's history where it will find a way to allow the Army to arrest citizenry on thier own soil. I truly hope this never happens...

Leonardo Valvassori

KB_S1

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 04:32:50 PM »

It's not much fun here either just now. We are having our ability to move and lead a life constantly squeezed financially under the false claims of saving the environment. Our rights to privacy are being removed under the 'threat of terrorism'. It is now illegal to protest in the UK without permission from the Government.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Oldfart

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 06:11:47 PM »

Leonardo Valvassori wrote on Sun, 18 November 2007 12:42

Canadians are almost as comatose regarding political jiggery-pokery as Americans

How true. Ask most Canucks if they understand what the S.P.P. is all about, and most will answer: "the what?".

Most feel secure here (in Canauckland), thinking that the "Bushie situation" isn't their problem. Many out there were saying: "bring it on, we want US$ and more access to that market".

And they'll get it alright. They'll also get "Bushie's politics, laws, and everything else that comes with !

I believe the biggest problem is twofold, the same as in the U.S. : ignorance and fear

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

Barry Hufker

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 08:19:50 PM »

Complacency.

Oldfart

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 05:08:02 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Tue, 20 November 2007 20:19

Complacency.

You're right, it's a treefold problem. And complacency helps them to stay ignorant of the situation, as they don't see a reason for a change.

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

rankus

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 02:45:44 PM »

KB_S1 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2007 13:32

I It is now illegal to protest in the UK without permission from the Government.

Shocked Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

MagnetoSound

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 12:36:38 PM »

PRobb wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 00:56

Elections are only valid if they approve of the results (See Venezuela and Palestine).

.... see Florida!

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 17 queries.