R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preventing ELCO & DL Oxidation  (Read 2045 times)

Hyvoltage

Preventing ELCO & DL Oxidation
« on: May 14, 2004, 04:47:07 AM »

Preventing ELCO & DL Oxidation

Hello all-

I'm doing an install in a tropical setting where there is high humidity (@75-80% average). Everything oxidizes fast . Anyone have any suggestions on whether I should treat the pins (after they are crimped) to help slow oxidation? I have to make both DL and Elcos. When I crimp the pins, I'll be sure to get just a hair of the pvc under the crimp. Should I put a touch of solder on the other end of the crimp after? Will a light spray of Deoxit or similar help? Any thoughts how I can protect against oxidation?

Thanks,

Hyvoltage

ssltech

Re: Preventing ELCO & DL Oxidation
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 09:38:13 AM »

I regularly do installs in exposed humid sub-tropical environments. I never have any corrosion problems on either ELCO, EDAC or ITT DL pins.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

John Klett

Re: Preventing ELCO & DL Oxidation
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 06:17:39 PM »

DL and EDAC/ELCO pins are gold flashed and don't oxidize.  You can get DL pins that are fully flashed instead of selectively flashed

The wire going in to the back of the pin may oxidize - like any bare copper conductor will.  You want to make sure you crimp over the insulation with the back of the crimp.  You'll note that the crimp pins have two sets of leaves that crimp over the wire end.  One is supposed to crimp over the bare wire and the other is supposed to crimp over the insulation.  You don't want the insulation to end and leave bare wire before reaching the crimp-on pin.  With a finely stranded bare copper wire like mogami this is especially true.  The copper will oxidize and turn to powder.  The crimp itself when done properly should be gas tight assuming you are using a pin that is sized to the wire (or vice versa).
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.