R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ADK S-7b, A real Gem!  (Read 39948 times)

tom eaton

Re: ADK S-7b, A real Gem!
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »

Larry Villella wrote on Tue, 12 May 2009 10:45

This thread started with an S-7 "B-Mod" that we did for trumpet-man.

The last post was about modifying a Berlin-47Au for Mark Isham.

Hi Larry,

Mark posted about an S7B... not a 47au. Was he mistaken?

Is the mic that Mark is using commercially available, and if so, where do I find a price?

Thanks... I'll return your PM as well.

tom

DanaB

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 05:51:22 PM »

I have gotten very spoiled by the S7 family.  I own quite an assortment of the ADK family in addition to various Rode, Blue, AKG, etc.  The S7 has become the mic that is always up.  Tracks always sounds great, whether it is a vocal, acoustic guitar, or cajon.  I might choose a different mic to flatter a particular voice or instrument, but the black grilled (natural) S7 usually does a great job out of the chute, and is a great calibration mic to have in the arsenal.
Dana Teague
Dana B. Goods

Greg B

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »

I have an S-7B that I mostly use on guitar cabinets and in front of the kick drum.  Also makes a great floor tom mic.

JP Gerard

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 10:35:57 AM »

Hi folks,

One thing the S7 might not be famous for yet is its nice, even, predictable polar response and high off axis rejection. This is very useful to control spill both on stage and in the studio. The cool thing is that the capsule and grille combination yields a very decent off axis pickup, so that leakage from other sources or room reverberation sounds OK.
JP Gerard
-------------------------
_ADK ))) microphones
http://www.adkmic.com

mljung

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 09:13:07 AM »

I agree about the fine off axis respond of the S7.

I just have one S7 [black grid], and think it's a most natural sounding microphone [even compared to some of the more expensive ones]. It's not brittle in any sense, or honky or anything else that many designs can be to some extent, especially cheaper ones. I really like it!

I will consider getting more and know that the T7 should be on its way!?

So therefore these questions:

I'm aware that T7 will offer both cardioid, fig. 8 and omni, but want to know if T7 in cardioid mode will sound as good as the "ABC versions" of the S7? Is there any differences between them, even if they're small, either because of the grid, the capsule used or otherwise? Will noise specs be the same? Is it the same circuits and electronic components used, or is it just about the same?

I truly believe S7 [and hopefully T7] is a great microphone even if we forget the price, but would like to know if it's also a quality microphone in the sense that it use components that will last for many years, just as the more expensive ones ADK are offering?

Moreover can T7 be expected to come out in stereo pairs also and finally, when will it be released..?

Kind regards,
Mads

JP Gerard

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 12:24:29 PM »

Hi,

Larry has asked me to tweak the specs of the T-7 so that it has a virtually
identical noise-spec to the U-87A.

So this re-design is what is holding the production up for a few additonal months.

Is there any differences between them, even if they're small, either because of the grid, the capsule used or otherwise? Will noise specs be the same? Is it the same circuits and electronic components used, or is it just about the same?

The capsule and grille wil be the same. Most of the circuit will be the same too.

I truly believe S7 [and hopefully T7] is a great microphone even if we forget the price, but would like to know if it's also a quality microphone in the sense that it use components that will last for many years, just as the more expensive ones ADK are offering?

It's built with long life components, no worries!

Moreover can T7 be expected to come out in stereo pairs also and finally, when will it be released..?

We might offer matched pairs, indeed. ETA Autumn of 2010, with a bit of luck, but could be early winter 2010.
JP Gerard
-------------------------
_ADK ))) microphones
http://www.adkmic.com

mljung

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 10:56:12 AM »

Thanks for your answer JP

JP Gerard wrote on Thu, 17 June 2010 11:24

Hi,

Larry has asked me to tweak the specs of the T-7 so that it has a virtually
identical noise-spec to the U-87A.

So this re-design is what is holding the production up for a few additonal months.

Doesn't the S-7 already have the more or less the same noise specs, as the U-87A ?

Best,
Mads

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 15 queries.