R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ADK S-7b, A real Gem!  (Read 39949 times)

Trumpetman2

Re: ADK S-7b, A real Gem!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 06:56:17 PM »

...Incidentally, its been a while now since I first fell in love with the S7-B, and just wanted to confirm that I am now even more impressed with this microphone....did I mention that I got rid of the Telefunken AK-47?  Well, I did!  Oh, and now I also have an ADK AP-1 mic preamp...this thing is super incredible! Particularly with the S7-B...and you can user-swap the op amps and transformers by just pluggin them in...talk about "colors!"  Larry and ADK- you guys ROCK!!!!!!! Very Happy

sdelsolray

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 07:15:13 PM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Fri, 19 December 2008 15:56

...Incidentally, its been a while now since I first fell in love with the S7-B, and just wanted to confirm that I am now even more impressed with this microphone....did I mention that I got rid of the Telefunken AK-47?  Well, I did!  Oh, and now I also have an ADK AP-1 mic preamp...this thing is super incredible! Particularly with the S7-B...and you can user-swap the op amps and transformers by just pluggin them in...talk about "colors!"  Larry and ADK- you guys ROCK!!!!!!! Very Happy

Several of the older ADK mics were rather good.  The newer ones are generally much better.  I haven't tried the S7, but the A6 is an excellent inexpensive mic.  The soon to be released Sigma C.H.I. Series are quite nice.  Although more expensive, the versatility of the numerous modular large and small diaphragm capsules, along with the sonics, will be noticed.

I have an AP2 with 5 tranny pairs and 5 op amp pairs, for 25 combinations.  Great pre - plenty of clear clean gain - and the swap feature is a kick.  The Jensen/990C combination is so close to a John Hardy M1 that I sold my John Hardy M2.  The stock Cinemag/DOP1A J-FET is nice.  I particularly like the Lundahl/VinM (Melcor) combination.  All of the combinations are just different flavors of good.

The pre was designed by Jon Erickson with help from Justin Morse.  Jon has designed many of the A-Design products.  The AP-1 is basically an API 312 design with high quality parts throughout.  

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 11:21:22 AM »

I wonder how an ADK S7B would be on close miced/internally miced bass drum? A U47 FET is completely out of the picture for me, but if I could get something fractionally close to a U47 FET...uh...thats what I'm going for. I am aware that there isn't a replacement for the sound of a U47 FET...that I know of anyway.

Terry...Oliver...Jeff??? CS-2?

Thanks
AB
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

compasspnt

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 11:55:32 AM »

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Wed, 21 January 2009 11:21

I wonder how an ADK S7B would be on close miced/internally miced bass drum? A U47 FET is completely out of the picture for me, but if I could get something fractionally close to a U47 FET...uh...thats what I'm going for. I am aware that there isn't a replacement for the sound of a U47 FET...that I know of anyway.

Terry...Oliver...Jeff??? CS-2?

Thanks
AB

Hey Adam,

First, Lucas have no plans for any fet mics in the near future. We are deep into tubes and transformers at the moment.

I haven't used the ADK mics (yet), but I would wager that, if you are thinking "inside bass drum," the normal S7 would be a better bet (you better, you bet) than the B version.

The "B" one is said to be slightly "darker," for use on things like brass, or other things that do not benefit from as much high end.

Inside a bass drum, I think you would indeed benefit from the more "normal" high end.

How this would compare directly to a Neumann fet47, I do not know.

I heard that a couple of people were successfully using the TNC ACM-583 as a "fet47-like bass drum mic."  When I tried that, it didn't do it for me, at least as a direct comparison to my fet47's, on the same preamp, same settings. Not to say it couldn't work with some experimentation.

But I'll bet the S7 (non-B) might work pretty well...also possibly with some experimentation of placement and preamp/eq...it will supposedly take a lot of spl!

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 05:47:17 PM »

Not knowing a U47 FET by experience, but from what I've heard by word of mouth, print, and on stuff like WSP's last one you did Terry, I thought the U47 and or U47 FET had considerable roll off top side. That is what I figured was a big part of it's magic, and mood sound wise. Am I wrong about the roll off?

Thanks
AB
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

compasspnt

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 05:57:54 PM »

A properly functioning U47 (fet or tube) should not have a "rolloff."

It should sound properly balanced to the ear.

Many of the extant vintage U47's do sound variably somewhat "warm," but that can often be because of an old capsule, worn out caps, etc.

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 06:05:24 PM »

Thats cool. Uh, how did you get that bass drum sound Terry? It's like soft sounding but deep and hard hitting...I dunno how to discribe it otherwise really. That was a U47 FET in there wasn't it?

Thanks
AB
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »

That was indeed a fet 47 through an API 512b preamp.

I think there was a bit of API 550b EQ on it, probably 2.5k boosted about +3.

There is a photo of the microphone inside the bass drum in the book.

Larry Villella

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »

I think if any of the members were to go to Any of the ADK Dealers
and offer them a GROUP-BUY on S-7B you might be suprised at the offers.  

It's a tough market- PLUS: I did a really nice discount to distributor on last shipment!

Take advantage of the our largesse if the "B-Mod" works for you!

Beware - It's Too Dark for a lot of sources.  That said:

GREAT for Trumpets, Hissy Tube Cabs, Brass and Reeds And LOUD MALE VOX!

Cheers!!!

Larry J Villella, ADK)))

ADKMIC.COM
HYBRIDMIC.COM

Larry J. Villella, Founder, ADK Microphones

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »

Then it'd would work on my voice.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

markisham

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 06:01:14 PM »

Thought I'd chime in here, as a recent ADK convert.

A little background...

I own far too many trumpets and flugelhorns to list, but suffice it to say they have their own closet.  I have been playing the trumpet since I was young.  Due to my other job as a composer, there are times when I do not get to play as much as I'd like.  But recently I've been getting those chops back in order.  Lots of playing, lots of recording.

I own ADK's Berlin AU, A6, and all S7's.

I'm constantly looking for "the setup".  The right pairing of mics that has that rich tone you only get from 50 year old mics.  I have a few of the classics, and have used just about everything in my travels.  I enjoy M49's, and I think Royer makes pretty great ribbons.  But I have yet to get "that setup".

When I put the S7b up, I had that little moment a lot of us have had on rare occasions.  I was genuinely surprised by it's tone.  I perked up.  I turned things DOWN because I could really hear it.  The more I played, the more and more I would get that feeling.  "Wait a minute, what am I doing differently?" "What pre am I in to?"  And after making sure I wasn't missing anything, the lovely realization sunk in.  The new variable here is the ADK.

So experiments continued.  Paired the S7b with a few of my favorites.  And every time it was the yin to the yang.  The newspaper to the silly putty.  The butter to the bread.  Any time I would remove the S7b from the equation, I was no longer satisfied.  It was reminiscent of going from 44.1 to a clocked 96.  Do you guys remember that?  Those moments when you're thinking, "Ahhhhhhh, THIS is it."

So "the setup" is now an S7b and a Royer R-122V.  And the NECESSARY part of that equation is the S7b.  And if ADK would release that "Darkest" version of the Berlin AU, "the setup" would be an S7b and the Darkest Berlin AU, both being quite necessary.

I think what draws me to this concept is that I feel there are a lot of cloners out there.  Ok.  Great.  But what happens when you're searching for a sound?  A unique quality?  It's like THIS, but it is its own thing...that sort of search...

The point being, if you record brass, if you play brass, you shouldn't be without an S7b.  It's not a pitch, it's a versed recommendation.  It's a learned heads up.

Mark

tom eaton

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 10:15:05 AM »

Wow.  Amazing to have you here, Mark.  "Blue Sun" remains a sonic benchmark for me... an amazing sounding record among many amazing records you've made (I think I have them all...).

I appreciate your thoughts on the ADK mics... I trust your ears!

Weren't you recently sold on the M-Audio tube mic, too?  

Are you in search of tones to fit a certain project, or in search of your "basic" sound from this point forward?

Thanks-

tom

Larry Villella

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 03:32:33 PM »

Mark Isham's been a busy boy lately!!!

He made a rare appearance at Potatoes in LA last week.

He has a new CD coming out May 19 . . . (drum roll . . .)

And I'll be the first to admit it, I'm thrilled to hear that he had
that 'light-bulb' moment with a few of our new microphones.  

For Brass Players - the ultimate Historic Mic seems to be the M-49.

ADK Custom Shop took a Berlin-47 and did a Mark Isham Mod.

One of the first emails I got from him was something about it
reminded him of a really pristine M-49. (How'd that happen??).

Like Ray Charles, Manhattan Transfer, and Kathy Mattea, I think
if you asked Mark Isham, he'd tell you he trusts ADK's Ears!!!!

And unlike the Famous Brands, we don't pay for endorsements.

So his words have more gravitas than most 'hired-gun' endorsements.

Anyway - we're glad to have his golden-horn and golden ears, too!

Be on the lookout for an exceptionally well played & well recorded CD.

tom eaton

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 08:26:01 AM »

Larry Villella wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 15:32

ADK Custom Shop took a Berlin-47 and did a Mark Isham Mod.

... he'd tell you he trusts ADK's Ears!!!!

And unlike the Famous Brands, we don't pay for endorsements.

So, he paid you to mod the stock mic so he'd like it?

I'm confused.

Either he trusts your ears and bought and uses the mic you made or I'm missing something.

Can you explain the process?

tom

Larry Villella

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 10:45:37 AM »

This thread started with an S-7 "B-Mod" that we did for trumpet-man.

The last post was about modifying a Berlin-47Au for Mark Isham.

The process was almost identical. We sent 3 "Flavors" in both cases, and
(as our design-team predicted) both trumpet players prefered the darkest.

As to whether Mark truly trusts our ears, you'll have to ask him.
I only stated that I think he would concur with other ADK Artists.

He was charged for the microphone, but not charged for customizing it.  

In fact, that's one of the standard services we offer to all our Custom Shop
Mic clients.  We will "fine-tune" it for them free within a reasonable time-frame.

Does that help?  I will try to get a sound-file soon . . .

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 15 queries.