R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How America Lost the War on Drugs  (Read 3685 times)

PookyNMR

Re: How America Lost the War on Drugs
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 05:16:31 PM »

mgod wrote on Fri, 07 December 2007 08:04

The Drug Industry - one of the major lobbyists in Washington. You can't convince kids not to take drugs when they're barraged with ads for them  on TV. Likewise you can't convince kids not to have sex when sex is used to sell everything - including drugs. Let's face it - people LIKE sex and drugs.

DS

Sex can and should be a part of a normal and healthy lifestyle.

Getting stoned via street drugs is not part of a normal or healthy lifestyle.  It is self destructive.

Of course not everyone is going to magically get off drugs.  Even though they're self destructive, they provide fantastic momentary pleasure.

My point is that money would be better spend trying to reduce the demand rather than trying just temporarily foil the supply.

I'm looking at it from a simple economic standpoint.  No demand, supply will dry up.

Money could be spent via media campaigns to turn the social tide.  Media has been very effectively used to change our attitudes on so many other things, why not drugs?
Nathan Rousu

stevieeastend

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 05:36:03 PM »

mgod wrote on Fri, 07 December 2007 15:04

Let's face it - people LIKE drugs.

DS

No. SOME people like drugs. For many it´s a disease. Really. I hate drugs!

cheers
St

mgod

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 10:33:34 PM »

OK - some people do, but they've been using them for thousands of years. Hey, have we done this before, or am I having a deja vu, like, right now, man?

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

PookyNMR

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 11:41:59 PM »

People have also been castrating themselves for thousands of years.  But I would not suggest that either.
Nathan Rousu

mgod

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 12:36:09 AM »

I'm not suggesting drug usage. I'm also not suggesting no drug usage. But the evidence of history certainly suggests that neither laws nor messing with supply lines is going to change the human tendency to go for something to alter the experience of being human.

DS

Barry Hufker

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 01:24:54 AM »

It seems to me as I have thought on this a while that every culture in the world is a drug culture.  Everyone has developed something to get them buzzed.  Here in the U.S. we have more money than most and so more access to everyone's drugs.  And we are a self-indulgent people.

maxim

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 04:56:14 AM »

"...or am I having a deja vu, like, right now, man?"

no, it's an 80's flashback...

penicillin, pethidine, pcp and prozac are all "drugs'

all drugs have various properties, some useful some not

educate thyself...

mgod

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 10:06:02 AM »

Educate thy own self. One man's usefulness is another man's demon. I found certain psychedelics to be extremely useful, as have cultures for thousands of years  - there's plenty of literature on it if you'd care to educate thyself.

I found Lipitor to be almost deadly. I've lost friends to heroin. I've lost more to alcohol and tobacco.

PookyNMR wrote on Fri, 07 December 2007 14:16

Money could be spent via media campaigns to turn the social tide.  Media has been very effectively used to change our attitudes on so many other things, why not drugs?

Because drugs - ALL kind of drugs - are very big business. Illegal drugs have a whole chain of profit making behind them. Think about the profits made in supplying law enforcement, in maninpulating interdiction, in the prison business.

Its very intelligent - historically people have always liked drugs, people have always used drugs, and by making some of them illegal lots of money can be made in many directions out of that. Further, by spending money on promoting the dangers of certain drugs, people can be scared into accepting fairly draconian law-enforcement - keep 'em scared, keep 'em high. Even a gradual drop in drug usage would be tampering with the primal forces of nature, to quote Mr. Chayefsky.

So some kid gets 30 years for pot, but the companies that kill people by manipulated testing of legal drugs like Vioxx get off with a fine that's a bump in their quarterly shareholder returns.

DS

wwittman

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 05:04:19 PM »

steveeastend wrote on Fri, 07 December 2007 17:36

mgod wrote on Fri, 07 December 2007 15:04

Let's face it - people LIKE drugs.

DS

No. SOME people like drugs. For many it´s a disease. Really. I hate drugs!

cheers
St

don't smoke, don't drink alcohol? no caffeine?

etc.

EVERY culture of humans the world over finds SOME way to become intoxicated recreationally.
it's apparently a natural human pursuit.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 04:58:59 AM »

Mmmmm... drugs.

bab

wwittman

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

maxdimario

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 12:09:51 PM »

Quote:

This particular Gulfstream II (tail number N987SA), was used between 2003 and 2005 by the CIA for at least three trips between the U.S. east coast and Guantanamo Bay — home to the infamous “terrorist” prison camp — according to a number of press reports. The suggestion that a “CIA plane” was flying a huge quantity of drugs toward the U.S. ensured that this incident would attract far more attention than the typical drug smuggling story.

now what I want to know is how many of those tons of cocaine are for white house personal use.

maxdimario

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 12:13:31 PM »

Quote:

So some kid gets 30 years for pot, but the companies that kill people by manipulated testing of legal drugs like Vioxx get off with a fine that's a bump in their quarterly shareholder returns.

not to mention the reduced life expectancy due to smoking cigarettes..

now THERE'S a useless drug for you.. does almost nothing for most people but if they stop they get withdrawal symptoms.

mgod

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 02:20:43 PM »

maxdimario wrote on Thu, 13 December 2007 09:09

now what I want to know is how many of those tons of cocaine are for white house personal use.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=au1ZOA9iH3I
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.