R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: does a AT4050 have any place on a drum kit? and other mics...  (Read 3009 times)

sadworld

unfortunately right now, that's the best (most expensive) mic i have and i'd like to make as much use out of it as possible.  wondered if anyone has used it on a kit... is close miking out of the question for this unit?  i will be upgrading mics soon but i'm in the process of pre's at the moment.

i use it mainly on vocals right now... good idea?

also what are your thoughts on tube mics? good for fatter vocals?

also just what is a ribbon mic and what can it do? is it better on some things than a regular mic and should every studio have one? thanks, matt.

Fletcher

Re: does a AT4050 have any place on a drum kit? and other mics...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 08:20:15 AM »

You shouldn't have any struggles putting a 4050 on anything you'd find in a normal recording session... close mic'ing the muzzle of a .357 might be another story... but I generally haven't found too many of those on too many sessions I've done.

It may work well, or not well on vocals... that will depend on the singer, the song, and your sense of aesthetic.

A ribbon mic is a very thin piece of metal [the ribbon] suspended within a rather powerful magnetic field.  As the ribbon moves [makes and breaks the magnetic field] a current is induced into the ribbon, which turns into audio.

Check out this link for an exploded view of a ribbon mic... it may be of some assistance.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Tone Laborer

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 11:24:31 AM »

The 4050 is my main mic as well. I seen people use them as overheads, I've put it on floor toms before with good results.
I've only got one 4050 and use a pair of 4041s as o/h.

Voices, it certainly is acceptable as a vocal mike, perhaps a little sterile. It won't flatter or hype your singer like some of the classics. Unfortunately, the Elam 251 is nowhere to be found in my mic cupboard.

The only time I really didn't like this mic was on a fiddle player with a saw-y style, it added to the harshness.

In general, a good workhorse mic.  
Ed Ferguson
Austin,Tx

asylumdigital

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 12:31:11 PM »

I use the 4050 quite a bit (I have 2 of these)...
I have found it to be kind of an "all-around" mic. You shouldn't have any problem using it somewhere on a kit.
peace!
Scott Slagle
Asylum Digital Recording Studios
http://www.asylumdigital.com

MYSPACE @
http://www.myspace.com/scottsatasylumdigital

Kooch

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 12:31:54 PM »

I've used the 4050 all over a drum kit with varied success.  The cardioid pattern is not the tightest, so I've only had it work out once on snare.  But it was a killer that one time.  Lately I use it as a suplimental room mic.  Either behind the drummer or out in the room away from the kit.  

Try it set on figure eight, low-cut all the way, pad on and looking over the drummers right shoulder (and so also upwards and away towards the wall behind the drummer).

But don't be afraid to use it up close on toms, snare, kick.....  
-------
The Kooch
Rock and Roll Scholar and Gentleman

sadworld

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 05:50:03 PM »

yeah, i purchased this mic for vocals mainly and other stuff too but mainly vocals.  isn't it a general rule of thumb that large diaphram condensers work best for vocals or did i not do enough homework? thanks, matt.

henryrobinett

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 08:50:53 AM »

I have a pair.  I'm still looknig for opportunities to use them.  So far I've just used them on piano and acoustic guitar.  Haven't had the opportunity to use them yet as overheads because I need them elsewhere when the time comes.  I like them btw.
All the best,

Henry Robinett
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.