R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Checking out your monitoring space/equipment?  (Read 9872 times)

Patrik T

Re: Checking out your monitoring space/equipment?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 02:38:06 PM »

Most work is carried out in the L speaker only.

index.php/fa/6895/0/

Best Regards
Patrik

crna59

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 04:39:41 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 05 December 2007 12:45

Bruce -
What directory are you talking about - do you have a link? I've been wanting to expand advertising my place and I realize I'm most likely not listed there!

Anyway some places here in the area that off the top of my head DO have pics of the room(s) on their website:
Sterling
Masterdisk
Jigsaw
Scott Hull Mastering
Ed Littman Mastering
Total Sonic Media
Turtle Tone Studio
Salt Mastering
Trutone
The Cutting Room
Foothill Digital
Engine Room Audio

I think it's important to note that Bernie Grundmann Mastering is one place that has no pics (or even info beyond an address and telephone!) on their website.  So having pics of a room on a website doesn't qualify a place as being good!

Here is the website directory I went by.

http://www.newyorkmusician.com/pgs/mastering.html

Sterling just has artist renderings on what their rooms look like. I saw Ed's, Engine Room, Jigsaw and Truetone. That's the only 4 I saw. I guess the other's are deeper in the site.
I know Bernie doesn't have to justify his business by putting up photos, but it would still be nice to see the rooms. We put most of our money in the rooms anyway so we should show them off!
I was just looking at all the "high-end" rooms that are advertised everywhere. I guess anyone can put up a shingle. Like Brad says above, most every serious mastering facility has pics online.

Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

bblackwood

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 04:52:54 PM »

crna59 wrote on Wed, 05 December 2007 15:39

I was just looking at all the "high-end" rooms that are advertised everywhere. I guess anyone can put up a shingle. Like Brad says above, most every serious mastering facility has pics online.

It's like I tell folks over and over - check the credits. Anyone with money can build a nice room and equip it - those with experience will show up all over credit listing sites (like allmusic). Even client lists on their websites are suspect - I've seen several websites listing credits on their mastering pages for stuff they simply did some editing on! Nowadays, it does seem like everyone does mastering, so that's the one way you can tell if someone has experience doing this, regardless of pics or gear.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

TotalSonic

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 04:56:18 PM »

crna59 wrote on Wed, 05 December 2007 16:39

Here is the website directory I went by.

http://www.newyorkmusician.com/pgs/mastering.html

Cool - thanks for the link!

Quote:

I know Bernie doesn't have to justify his business by putting up photos, but it would still be nice to see the rooms. We put most of our money in the rooms anyway so we should show them off!

I disagree - I think most have put money into rooms in order to get functional work places that are acoustically accurate.  There's things in my room that isn't necessarilly cosmetically "pretty" and doesn't make for a good "show off" - instead I placed my cash into acoustic treatments and let the cosmetics be what they are.  Personally I don't give a damn what other ME's think of the looks of my room - I'm more interested in having a place that's layed out in a way that makes it comfortable for me and my clients and that I know I can do good work in - and one that I didn't need to go into debt (or have a day job) in order to open.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

crna59

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 05:15:04 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 05 December 2007 15:56

I disagree - I think most have put money into rooms in order to get functional work places that are acoustically accurate.  There's things in my room that isn't necessarilly cosmetically "pretty" and doesn't make for a good "show off" I'm more interested in having a place that's layed out in a way that makes it comfortable for me and my clients and that I know I can do good work in - and one that I didn't need to go into debt (or have a day job) in order to open.

This is what I'm talking about. I saw that Bob K. didn't have a console in front of him. I saw that in a couple of other places too. I tried to emulate that in my place by putting the console on casters. I think someone would be crazy as hell to put hundreds of thousands of dollars into a studio/mastering facility just to use it as a "hobby".
Do people have couches in their rooms? What about acoustical treatments? Those are the things I like to see and get ideas from. Most of the time you see a narrow shot of the console/speakers... What's beside/behind you? Equipment? Coffee machine? Stripper pole? I have a wine cellar behind me. I think that's cool! What's ergonomic for you?

Sorry... didn't mean to hijack thread....
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

TotalSonic

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 05:34:24 PM »

crna59 wrote on Wed, 05 December 2007 17:15

What's beside/behind you? Equipment?

yup.  couple of racks of digital tranpsorts and digital routers, and the MCI JH110M

Quote:

Stripper pole?

Hee hee - there's actually a pole that's in my room in fact - it's unfortunately way too close to the wall for a stripper to actually use it though - you can see a good shot of it at
http://www.totalsonicmastering.com/image/gaberoth.jpg

Quote:

I have a wine cellar behind me. I think that's cool!

Got to admit I like the idea also!
Hard to beat Millbrook Sound Studio's full brew pub though - http://www.barfungul.com/

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Silvertone

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 08:58:40 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 05 December 2007 16:34

crna59 wrote on Wed, 05 December 2007 17:15

What's beside/behind you? Equipment?

yup.  couple of racks of digital tranpsorts and digital routers, and the MCI JH110M

Quote:

Stripper pole?

Hee hee - there's actually a pole that's in my room in fact - it's unfortunately way too close to the wall for a stripper to actually use it though - you can see a good shot of it at
http://www.totalsonicmastering.com/image/gaberoth.jpg

Quote:

I have a wine cellar behind me. I think that's cool!

Got to admit I like the idea also!
Hard to beat Millbrook Sound Studio's full brew pub though - http://www.barfungul.com/

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Hi Steve,

Millbrook (Paulie) actually has an English Pub and not a brew pub.  He has every beer in the world there. He built it many years ago when he was recording the band Golden Earing. They kept going out after the session and getting arrested for driving drunk on the wrong side of the road. Paulie figured before they got killed he better give some place to unwind at the end of the day. Best thing is when you walk into Millbrook, you walk into the pub... bands love it!

As for me I check my room every other month or so. Or when "something doesn't sound right".

I also keep a bunch of vintage equipment behind me in my room. It eases the musicians and engineers and gives them something to talk about. 1964 Gretch Drums, 1963 B15, 1980 Musicman bass, 1950's Sony C37A, Altec Cokebottle mic's, etc...

As I sit in the one third position in the room they don't have much (if any) influence on the sound. Unless you forget and leave the snares on the drums Very Happy

index.php/fa/6919/0/
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Silvertone

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 09:01:19 AM »

Here is a shot of the front...

index.php/fa/6920/0/
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

jlapointe

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 12:51:05 PM »

Silvertone wrote on Mon, 10 December 2007 10:01

index.php/fa/6920/0/

How far are you from the speakers in the sweet spot at the console?  It might just be the angle of the photo but it looks really close!  I've often thought of trying a closer listening position than my current 10 ft or so.  How did you arrive at that arrangement?

Best,

- J.

Patrik T

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 02:09:45 PM »

JLaPointe wrote on Mon, 10 December 2007 18:51

How did you arrive at that arrangement?

Because there is a dog guarding the "rear line"?

BR
Patrik

Silvertone

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 06:56:12 AM »

JLaPointe wrote on Mon, 10 December 2007 11:51

Silvertone wrote on Mon, 10 December 2007 10:01

index.php/fa/6920/0/

How far are you from the speakers in the sweet spot at the console?  It might just be the angle of the photo but it looks really close!  I've often thought of trying a closer listening position than my current 10 ft or so.  How did you arrive at that arrangement?

Best,

- J.

I'm 9 feet from the speakers at that point. The room is 30' deep and the speakers are about two and a half to three feet off the front wall.

I arrived at it while talking over the design with Steven Durr, usually you want to sit at the 1/3rd or 2/3rd position in the room. I just chose the 1/3rd. I guess I was use to it after recording and mixing for 20 years! Also I didn't want to spend the 8K in diffusion panels for the rear wall that was spec'd at the time. However I am about to buy the diffusers for the rear wall from a studio that closed recently up this way. I'll be spending 1/10th the price for them.
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.