R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Benchmark DAC USB  (Read 2748 times)

OTR-jkl

Benchmark DAC USB
« on: December 07, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »

Has anyone tried this box? Is anyone successfully using it with Samplitude/Sequoia? Does it get along well with other Dig I/Os?

I'm wondering if I can use it simultaneously with the Dig I/O of my soundcard - Track 1 (playback) > Soundcard Dig Out > Outboard gear > Soundcard Dig In > Track 2 (limit) > route to DAC USB for monitoring.

Thanks for any input...
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

diamondjim

Re: Benchmark DAC USB
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:56:36 PM »

The USB connection allows you to monitor the system audio device output separately from the other digital inputs (SPDIF/AES/Toslink) by a switch on the front panel of the DAC-1.  As long as you have more than one digital out on your audio interface you could route a digital out as you have indicated, and monitor from a separate digital input into the DAC-1.

If you monitor via USB you are hearing the OS's system audio device. If you monitor via one of the other digital inputs you would simply route your master buss output to that digital out, feeding the appropriate input on the DAC-1.  However you have to select the input source on the DAC-1 using the front panel toggle.

From their web site:

"here are four digital input connectors (coaxial, balanced XLR, optical, and USB). The coaxial, XLR, and optical digital inputs all accept professional (AES) and consumer (SPDIF) data formats at sample rates up to 192 kHz."

"The USB input is compatible with Windows ista/XP/2000 and Mac OS X, and does not require driver installation or system
configuration"
"Diamond Jim" Hewitt (ASCAP)
Barn Jazz Music Productions
www.barnjazz.com

OTR-jkl

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:02:05 PM »

My soundcard has 1 Dig In and 1 Dig Out (pick your format: AES, SPDIF or Optical), 1 Analog In pair and 1 Analog Out pair. I am using the Dig Out to route signal out of the DAW to outboard gear and I'm using the Dig In to bring that (processed) signal back into the DAW for limiting and capture. I am monitoring the entire chain via the soundcard's Analog Out.

I'm wanting to use the DAC USB to replace the Analog Out of the soundcard. What I don't know is if WinXP Pro/Samplitude will see the DAC USB as an additional Dig Out device and let me use it simultaneously with the soundcard's Dig I/O. I'm using ASIO drivers for the soundcard. Or, will the system only allow me to use either the soundcard's Dig I/O or the DAC USB but not both at the same time.

IOW, will this work:
- Track 1 output routed to soundcard Dig Out (process)
- Track 2 input taken from souncdard Dig In (capture)
- Track 2 output routed to DAC USB (monitor)

???
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

mbruce333

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 11:38:44 PM »

I've had several USB devices and I don't remember having any trouble getting WinXP to see them as additional devices.  Even though the Benchmark is driverless, I can't imagine that it wouldn't work for your setup.

Any question of audio quality could be resolved with a simple test.  Run the SPDIF out of your RME to the Benchmark as well as the USB and toggle back and forth to compare the difference.  I'd be curious to hear what you find out...

Mike Bruce
Auricle Audio Mastering
www.AuricleAudioMagic.com
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.