R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Surround?  (Read 5220 times)

Sonovo

Surround?
« on: November 06, 2007, 04:09:29 PM »

What, if any special requirements/treatments are neccessary when dealing with a surround room as opposed to a stereo room?

With several added sound sources, will room node excitement change (or be amplified)? I would expect that issues dealing with reflection would be the same, just for more speakers.

What about the sub? Are there special problems to deal with there?

Would a good stereo room be a good candidate for a suuround room, or are the requirements different?

Cheers,
Thor

New Room

Re: Surround?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 02:29:44 AM »

I would imagine that a good surround room would be a good candidate for a stereo room, but not vica versa.

gullfo

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »

room modes are room modes but the position of things in the room, and the differences between soffit mounted or free standing monitors will introduce design challenges. my take is a surround environment takes a bunch more "smaller" adjustments (details) to get things working right as opposed to a stereo room.

in an existing stereo room with free standing monitors, its probably "easier" to "extend" that into a surround room than if you have monitoring with soffits as the additional surround baffles will change the room reflections/absorption, bass response, etc.

subs are always a challenge to find the right placement. if you currently have a sub and its set for the room, then you are probably ok as its not likely to change much in a free standing monitoring situation, but will likely need to be changed if the room boundary configuration is updated.
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

Ethan Winer

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:00:45 PM »

Sonovo wrote on Tue, 06 November 2007 16:09

What, if any special requirements/treatments are neccessary when dealing with a surround room as opposed to a stereo room?

The main difference from my perspective is you have more first reflection points to deal with. There shouldn't be much difference in the low end, assuming the speakers are set up properly with bass management so the lowest frequencies come from a single subwoofer source. But higher bass frequencies can be an issue as explained below.

Quote:

What about the sub? Are there special problems to deal with there?

No problems that aren't present in a stereo room that uses a sub. But subs can be a problem because bass frequencies around the crossover point now come from four (or six) places instead of only two as with stereo. Bass is tough enough to get right in any room, without worrying about additional peaks and nulls caused by multiple disparate arrival times. (I can't believe I actually used "multiple disparate" in a sentence!)

Quote:

Would a good stereo room be a good candidate for a suuround room, or are the requirements different?

My living room setup is fabulous for both. Some people wrongly believe (IMO) that a stereo room should be liver sounding than a home theater surround room. But I disagree with that. Small room ambience is generally lousy ambience, and the best solution is to absorb (or diffuse) it.

--Ethan

Sonovo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:44:11 PM »

Gulfo, Ethan, thanks for the informative replies.

Let's see...

I don't have any subs at present. My current monitors are -3dB at around 37Hz, the room is well treated for both bass and primary reflections (actually sounds pretty good).

Existing monitors are free standing towers, dipoles (I know, those in the know want us all to use point sources, yet I'm using a line source). Let me at least try it first and see, ok? Razz

I expect due to the monitor type I'll have to be extra careful about dealing with the rear wave of each monitor, in adition to the issues already mentioned with additional reflections.

Room size is around 9m long by 5 or 6 m wide.

From what other mastering folks have recommended, I'm considering going with dual subs. There was a suggestion to try out opposite corner placement (which will need to be verified through listening and measurement).

Ethan, does that mean I need to tune the subs response to both the speakers and to the room/nodes? Through both placement as well as crossover and level adjustment? Phase as well this far down?

Would a surround room without subs (but with response say down to around 34Hz or so) be usable, or is 20-35Hz an important part of the equation (for music, I expect film requirements will be different).

Thor

gullfo

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:48:49 PM »

here's some interesting articles on surround, sub placement and adjustments

http://www.wsdg.com/data/edithtml/resources/technology/Image s//070321%20-%20dk%20-%20js%20-%20v5%20-%20Ov...doc

http://www.genelec-ht.com/documents/publications/Multichanne lControlRoomAcousticsandCalibration.pdf

http://www.genelec-ht.com/documents/publications/Placementan dRoomAcousticsInteraction.pdf

http://www.rbdg.com/newsroom/designSurroundPro/

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers.htm (since you mentioned dipoles - page 4-5)
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

franman

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:39:35 PM »

I have to agree with most of what's already been posted. I find the biggest issues in critical (mastering) surround rooms to be:
1. Control of first reflections from additional sources
2. introduction of some diffusion for the rear speakers (diffusion in the front half of the room out of any direct path of the L-C-R speakers).
3. Dealing with the typically whacky LF response of the center speaker.. (It's sitting on a modal axis and it's always going to excite the width modes more than the L-R)
4. placement of subs..

This is a big topic!! I don't know about the E-Trap concept but I do know if you want your room to sound natural down to the lowest octaves, you will need to have trapping to cope with frequencies down in that range. This can be distributed tuned traps with lots of broadband... VERY deep broadband trapping and lots of it... specific tuned traps for room anomolies (and lots of broadband trapping).. starting to see the common thread here??

In our best sounding rooms (LF wise) we have areas in the ceilings (large areas) with 3-4' deep broadband porous absorption! I know it sounds like a lot and it is.. It takes some serious real estate... that's why it's nice to have the ceiling height to put it up there!!

Sub placement is a real trial and error thing. Looking for a natural transition from full range L-C-R to subs (assuming no bass management) is a good starting point... Then move woofer (or woofers) around to get most even response. More woofers will generally make it easier to achieve a smoother response. I believe this is because you are exciting rooms modes and creating boundary interference from multiple locations instead of one... simple but true!

Please remember... use your ears!! It's all about what it sounds like at the end of the day!! I also would agree that a great surround room will generally work quite well for stereo.. the opposite is not necessarily true!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Sonovo

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 03:57:06 AM »

Gulfo, thanks for the links!

Francis, thanks for the tips!

I think I will make new measurements after the last treatments, and concentrate on getting additional monitors in place sans subs first. When that works I'll get the subs (if needed) and spend some time finding the best positioning.

I have superchunks in each corner, over 1m from the corner and out (almost 2m along the hypotenuse) which help damp things on the bottom end. Might need more I suppose.

The weakest part of my room is that I don't have high ceilings, just standard height (about 2m50cm or so).

Anyway, I now have enough info to get to work, thanks again!

Thor

Ethan Winer

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 02:24:50 PM »

Sonovo wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 17:44

Let me at least try it first and see, ok? Razz

LOL, the rear radiation, which is a byproduct of the design - not a design goal (IMO) - is its undoing.

Quote:

Ethan, does that mean I need to tune the subs response to both the speakers and to the room/nodes? Through both placement as well as crossover and level adjustment? Phase as well this far down?

Yes, it's a big mess and all placements are a compromise. Very Happy

Quote:

Would a surround room without subs (but with response say down to around 34Hz or so) be usable, or is 20-35Hz an important part of the equation (for music, I expect film requirements will be different).

If you're not doing film, and your speakers are -3 dB at 37 Hz, you should be all set.

--Ethan

StudioRhythm

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 01:25:24 AM »

franman wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 19:39

In our best sounding rooms (LF wise) we have areas in the ceilings (large areas) with 3-4' deep broadband porous absorption! I know it sounds like a lot and it is.. It takes some serious real estate... that's why it's nice to have the ceiling height to put it up there!!

Sorry to hijack, but I just have to follow up on this! How do you approach this -- 4' of 703 (or equivalent), a certain thickness (8"-12"?) of 703 plus an airgap stuffed with regular fluffy insulation, or...? Thanks!!

Ethan Winer

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 11:20:54 AM »

StudioRhythm wrote on Sat, 10 November 2007 01:25

4' of 703 (or equivalent), a certain thickness (8"-12"?) of 703 plus an airgap stuffed with regular fluffy insulation, or...?

As fiberglass is made thicker / deeper, you can get away with lower density. So if you have four feet available you can get similar results for less money with the fluffy type.

But I'll be interested to hear what Fran has to say about what he uses when four feet is available.

--Ethan

franman

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 07:54:12 PM »

Ethan Winer wrote on Sat, 10 November 2007 11:20

StudioRhythm wrote on Sat, 10 November 2007 01:25

4' of 703 (or equivalent), a certain thickness (8"-12"?) of 703 plus an airgap stuffed with regular fluffy insulation, or...?

As fiberglass is made thicker / deeper, you can get away with lower density. So if you have four feet available you can get similar results for less money with the fluffy type.

But I'll be interested to hear what Fran has to say about what he uses when four feet is available.

--Ethan

Ahhh... now everybody wants to know the 'good stuff'... we would typically do 4" of unfaced 703 in the framing (the boundary with the room, just behind the fabric)... with these deep traps, I agree with Ethan.. you can just 'hang' some unfaced Batt insulation (R11 or R19) in the deep cavities... Sometimes, we will hang 'baffles' of 2-4" thick 705 as well... those are the two most common installations for deeeeep porous trapping. ok.. now I've given away our biggest secret.. *LOL
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

jfrigo

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 01:03:24 AM »

I've experimented with several variations on these traditional deep traps. How have your experiences been with variations? Have you experimented with "waveguides" in the traps? In other words, hanging baffles at angles rather than perpendicular? Also, how about making the hangers/waveguides from 703 or 705 attached to either side of something harder (masonite, pegboard, plywood etc) rather than simply insulation alone? And how deep do you like to make the soft, fluffly stuff at the back of the trap even though you use hangers in ther cavity? And do you ever use a graduated cavity, in other words, the front and back surfaces are not parallel?

So that you don't think I'm all ask and no tell, I tend to like a double thick layer of the soft stuff in back, and a single layer on the sides of these traps. I also like to use space outside the footprint of the room when possible to gain some depth. If you have a 8' tall soundlock or something similar, and a 12' tall room, you can trap the top 4' of the room extending into the space above that soundlock/booth/lounge/hallway or whatever. I don't suppose you'll spill the beans about how you decide on the spacing for the hangers...  sometimes I don't use even spacing accross the whole trap... I'll leave it at that.

Thanks.

franman

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 11:24:35 PM »

We often angle the front of these traps from the rear (surface).. this is typical.

We often attach the hanging baffles to 1/2" Sound Deadening Bd (2" of 703 or 705 on each side)

We often put 2" of 703 at the back surface of these traps and have typically 4" on the front framing (room side)

I'm gonna leave it that too. Cool
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

jfrigo

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 02:38:06 AM »

Thanks for continuing the discussion. I thought it may be interesting for lurkers to see all the possibilities with these. I think many people never imagine all the variables.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.