R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 24bit, 16 bit... "what does it matter?"  (Read 8128 times)

Andy Krehm

Re: 24bit, 16 bit... "what does it matter?"
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 08:55:37 PM »

Noah Mintz wrote on Sun, 11 November 2007 19:45

Andy Krehm wrote on Sat, 10 November 2007 17:16

Noah Mintz wrote on Mon, 05 November 2007 13:46

....I noticed from the HD that the original PT record files were 24bit 48khz....

I'm still surprised that nobody thinks that the conversion by the mixing studio from 48k to 44.1k isn't also an issue.

What if they used the fastest SRC in PTs in order to give the producer an audio disc?

The best PT's SRC is pretty good but usually not as good as some of the dedicated software SRCs. Add that to the bit reduction and double dithering and I think you'd have a noticible difference.

I think the fact that there were no 16bit or 24bit stereo mixed files was an indication that the album might have been mixed analog directly to a stand alone cd burner. Again, this is only a guess.

I'll repeat that the producer seemed not worried at all that I was working with the 16bit audio cd and didn't have 24bit or 16bit files and seemed very unconcerned about them.

In the end, i think it sounded quite good so I'm not worried about it in the least. They sounded better than most 24bit 96khz files that I get on a daily basis.

My philopsphy; Don't get caught up in the numbers or the letters.  Everything you do to it changes it. Don't look at the frequencies, feel them (Ya I know how that sounds). Don't worry too much about the order of your equipment or which cables you use. Don't think too much. Just make it sound good no matter what you get.

but if you can gracefully get the stereo mixes at the bit and sample rate they were mixed at, you should b/c they will sound better in the end.

Obviously in this case you did the right thing but your post makes it sound like one should passively accept anything that comes in the door without questions...go with the flow.

I have found that almost all artists, engineers and producers that weren't aware of these things are always appreciate that I have taken the time to try and get the best version of the audio they have produced before mastering.

bblackwood

Re: 24bit, 16 bit... "what does it matter?"
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 07:20:56 AM »

Andy Krehm wrote on Sun, 11 November 2007 19:55

Noah Mintz wrote on Sun, 11 November 2007 19:45

I think the fact that there were no 16bit or 24bit stereo mixed files was an indication that the album might have been mixed analog directly to a stand alone cd burner. Again, this is only a guess.

but if you can gracefully get the stereo mixes at the bit and sample rate they were mixed at, you should b/c they will sound better in the end.

What? The only time the sampling rate of the final mix needs to be the same is if it's done ITB with zero analog buss processing or summing. If his assumption that it was mixed on an analog console is correct, then there is zero reason the final sampling frequency should be the same as the tracking rate...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 17 queries.