R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats consider medium range -$$- converters  (Read 5713 times)

WFTurner

Whats consider medium range -$$- converters
« on: April 25, 2004, 09:50:14 AM »

So I'm thinking it might be time to move up from the entry level Echo MIA, which has been great thru my learning experience
to something better. Nothing top of the line but medium ranged which I'm thinking as between $600 - $1200.

My question, what would the more experienced, pro go for in that
price point.

Looking more for a list of options rather than a blank
'what's the best' list. Though I'm certainly interested in
the best that amount can buy.

magicchord

Re: Whats consider medium range -$$- converters
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 04:23:21 PM »

I'm kind of in the same situation as you, William, as I use an Echo Layla and would like to have 2 channels of better A/D for bouncing to digital from my analog mixer.
A friend suggested I get an Apogee Rosetta (which is, admittedly, an A/D only) and run it into my present soundcard's S/PDIF. This would give me an extra 2 channels of nice conversion and also provide a more stable clock for the Echo.
The Rosetta retails for about $1200, or you can get one on the used market for less.
That's my $.02.

Patrick Bryant
MagicChord Music
Patrick Bryant - Magicchord Music BMI

Mark_W

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 07:57:08 PM »

I went from Aardvark converters, to an Apogee Rosetta and from there to a LynxTWO. The Lynx in definately better than the Rosetta, to my ears anyway. Should be in your price range as well.

-Mark Wanlass

natpub

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 10:09:53 PM »

http://www.atlasproaudio.com/mytek.html

The 2 channel units of Mytek are excellent, and will really give you a noticible difference when you stack several channels. People are often disappointed when they want a large difference from converters and expect to see that change by comparing one or a couple tracks between converters. In my limited experience, the change is most noticed when many tracks are compared.

Kurt Thompson,
Natalia Publishing, Inc. (BMI)
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

Knastratt

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 05:41:59 AM »

The Mytek, the Lucid or the upcoming Benchmark ADC-1 perhaps? Lavry Blue series - but that's getting out of budget. I have the Lucid and it's really good. I guess you could spend a 200% more to get 5% better performance. But this is no f*****g competition.

*rrrrrrring*

Hello. Well, yeah, but... Ok, what I mean is.... Ok, ok - I get it.

Hrmmm. So it IS a competition.

Rolling Eyes
Pär Hällquist - Trackstop Recording.
One stop track shop.

bloodstone

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 02:18:57 AM »

I owned a Rosetta 48 for a while, as well as the Lucid AD9624.  I ran extensive experiments mixing from an analog board (Soundcraft Ghost) through those units.  I thought the Lucid had a nice clear top end, but I couldn't get decent kick/bass out of it.  The Apogee I found grainy  and shrill.  I was mixing to SPDIF in of a DAT or CD-R.  Ultimately I decided I got the best results through the unbalanced analog ins of my 2 channel digital recorders!  Now I'm thinking of mixing into a box, perhaps with a Lynx 22 card.  That way I'll get 24 bit mixes I can master in a computer, or send off 24 bit data files to a mastering lab.  Does anyone out there have any comparative experience with Lynx, Apogee & Lucid?  Thanks.    

WFTurner

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 06:44:07 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have them listed
and I'll check them out.

Thanks again.

Vertigo

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 03:13:07 PM »

I'll probably get laughed out of the forums for admitting this, but I recently purchased a MOTU 24/IO ($1400 with the PCI 424 card) and so far I'm quite pleased with it. 24 simultaneous input/outputs and I'm getting a sound that's very true to the source with zero latency. It's a great compliment to my Midas console. I know that the MOTU HD192 units ($1700 for 12 channels of I/O) are in use and highly recommended by some of the more respected denizens of these forums. The converters on the 192 and 24/IO are different of course, but they both utilize the same 424 card which is primarily responsible for the responsiveness and low latency of the MOTU units.

I'm also of the opinion that a quality mic and pre setup weighs in a lot heavier than converters from a sonics perspective. And I also think the MOTU units SMOKE the M-Audio, Echo, Digi, and other units in the same price-per-channel range.

YMMV

-Lance

Roland Storch

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 05:51:21 PM »

Today I compared the EMM Labs ADC8 MK IV to the Digital Audio Denmark DAD2408 and have to say the 2408 is really not bad. The comparisons are not finished yet (when will the ever be) but so far I was really surprised by the DAD.

More after a few weeks when I?ve the opportunity for comparisons during real productions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.