R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Big" sounding mic pres.  (Read 9875 times)

Chris L

"Big" sounding mic pres.
« on: May 03, 2004, 07:20:45 PM »

Right now I have a peavey vmp-2 that I'll probably be selling. I like the sound I'm getting on it from guitars and bass, but on drums (kick and snare) it just wasn't fast enough for me. Didn't get a really good crack or a defining kick sound.

I want to get a 'fat' sounding dual mono pre under 1k. Are there any worth considering in that price range?

Geeze. I'd REALLY just love to get a Chandler TG-2.  Maybe by the time I look at getting a new pre I'll have enough for it. Very Happy

Audio Engineer

Re: "Big" sounding mic pres.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 03:03:43 AM »

Look into an Avalon 737sp, Vintech 1272, Sytek MPX4AII or go to www.mercenary.com and speak to Fletcher...he'll be able to point you in the tight direction for sure.

AE
RADAR 24...Heaven In A Box

hargerst

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 09:28:30 PM »

The RNP can do "snap" really well.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Tone Laborer

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 11:56:48 AM »

Harvey,
Amongst these pages, I've seen people compare the RNP to an API. DO you see that comparison? I have a RNC and of course, love it. But I wish it was balanced +4 input.
I work just down the street from those guys, BTW.
Ed Ferguson
Austin,Tx

groove guru

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 05:51:18 PM »

Keep the VMP-2 for smooth vocals and acoustic guitars.  And get a Vintech Dual 72 for electric gtr's and drums.  The 72 is big as hell and has a good bit of color. I'm not saying that the Vintech is the best Nevish pre out there, but it does what it's supposed to do at a very fair price.  I haven't tried the TG-2, but you can bet that I've been drooling over it for quite some time.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

bloodstone

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 05:30:28 PM »

Big sounding/fat/dual/under $1k.  something about all that thrown together seems like an oxymoron, although a pair of Joe Meek VC6Qs (not the current sense type) might sort of fit the bill.

Jim Dugger

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 10:46:11 PM »

Wunder Audio is in Austin, TX.  They make a 1073 unit, looks very cool.

Aziel

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 03:25:15 AM »

How can i get in touch with Wunder audio? are their 1073 good enough?  Rolling Eyes

wunderkap

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 11:08:03 PM »

Hello Aziel,
Someone alerted me to the fact that you want to get in touch with Wunder Audio.  you can do to http://www.wunderaudio.com/ or email mike@wunderaudio.com
look for the reviews in May 2004 Tape Op or the June 2004 Mix magazine.
It's a remake of the Zeppelin module and actually will beat a 1073 in an a/B test.
take care
Wunderkap

ozmorphasis

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 02:19:10 PM »

Hi Harvey,

First off, let me say that I have been reading and enjoying much of what you have shared in this and the HomeRecording forums.  Much Thanks!!!

I was wondering if you could give some advice...(I'm sure you don't get that line too often!!  ; )

I have a couple of decent mics(km184, mc012, ksm44), and am in the process of recording my families music: traditional Persian music.  This is all acoustic intruments, some plucked, some bowed. Vocals as well.

My setup is a Motu 896HD, with Audiodesk, and that's basically it going into an iMac.  For now, I only have plugins for effects(including dynamics, compression, etc).

While I have a ton to learn and experiment with in regards to mic placement, mic choice etc, I am wondering if there are a couple of key pieces of gear that I would need.  Specifically, for violin and vocals, would I benefit a lot from running a preamp such as the Peavey VMP-2 before the 896hd?  I find the sound of the pres on the motu a bit cold and stark.  If so, what do you think of the Peavey?  Any other pres you recommend?

Also, should I have outboard compression while tracking/recording live in the siganl chain before the motu?  I have heard greaet things about the RNC.  

Lastly, can I get a decent sound for violin (our music should have a darker, warmer tone than say fiddle) using the mics that I have.  SHould I look into a ribbon?  Would a ribbon require a preamp such as the peavey?

Sorry for bombarding with all the questions!  Feel free to only answer what you have time for.

Thanks

Trumpetman2

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 07:04:55 PM »

Laughing  Very Happy  Shocked Guys:  How about that new Safe Sound jobbie...?  I read a review that said it was the cat's meow...not so?

Warhead

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 11:18:19 PM »

I think it's the cat's meow but I'm biased! I use 2 P1's every day in my project studio.

War
Warren Dent
Owner: ZenPro Audio
www.ZenProAudio.com

dejacky

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 04:16:17 AM »

i heard an mp3 of vocals thru seventh circle audio ' s J99 mic pre and it sounded rather 3d and "rich" to me anyways Smile.
-dejacky

hargerst

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 03:39:52 PM »

In answer to all these questions, the RNP is not exactly a "warm" preamp, but it is slightly on the "fat" side.  It's high end extension is what does it for me.  Warmer would be the Great River MP-1NV or the Safe Sounds P1.  I wouldn't get rid of the VMP-2 just yet.

And yes, I'd get a Peavey preamp for the Persian family music, and the mics you have should work fine.  Placement is everything, so take your time experimenting.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Dot

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2004, 01:11:38 AM »

Some big sounding dual pres in the $1Kish area are the Vintech Dual 72  and the Sebatron vmp-2000e.
Dan Richards
The Listening Sessions
Pro Audio Consulting & Equipment Sales
Direct Toll-Free  (866) 409-3686
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.