R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass traps: GIK Acoustic vs Real Traps  (Read 17466 times)

wildplum

• Real Full Name: paul tumolo
Bass traps: GIK Acoustic vs Real Traps
« on: October 29, 2007, 04:19:03 PM »

Both GIK Acoustics and Real Traps have similar bass trap products. For GIK, the GIK 244 Bass Trap and the GIK Monster Bass Trap; for Real Traps, the Minitrap and the Mondotrap. However, I have not seen a review anywhere directly comparing these products. A quick search of the PSW forums did not turn up a reference either. So, I would like to know if anyone has done a head-to-head comparison of these products either in print (web, magazine, or other) or non-published (perhaps as part of the planning for an installation). If not, if this space a good place for people to share there experiences comparing these products (and companies) and is anyone willing to post here on the topic?
Paul Tumolo

<a href="http://www.wildplum.org" target="_blank">Wildplum Recordings</a>

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

gullfo

Re: Bass traps: GIK Acoustic vs Real Traps
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:19:50 PM »

that will be a tough comparison since both companies have a bunch of happy customers... Shocked

[getting the popcorn and soda ready]
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

rankus

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »

Why not just make your own and save like 80% ?

You don't need mad skills to staple fabric over rockwool or other insulation.

Pass me some of that popcorn Glenn...

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

jimmyjazz

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 01:01:32 AM »

Or get the 4" DIY bags from ReadyTraps.

wildplum

• Real Full Name: paul tumolo
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 04:09:32 PM »

"You don't need mad skills to staple fabric over rockwool or other insulation."

Done that. Six inches of 703 (or 705) wrapped in fabric does not (and, theoretically, can not) produce the results reported by the customers of these companies and on these companies' web sites.  My own experience building such things agrees.

Seems to me there's a little more than that going on. For example, both companies incorporate a limp membrane of sorts in their designs.
Paul Tumolo

<a href="http://www.wildplum.org" target="_blank">Wildplum Recordings</a>

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

jimmyjazz

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:52:28 AM »

What is this "limp membrane", and by what mechanism does it (allegedly) increase absorption?  Are we talking about a true bass trap now, or are we still talking about more typical broad-band absorption?

Ethan?

Ethan Winer

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:11:41 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Wed, 31 October 2007 11:52

What is this "limp membrane", and by what mechanism does it (allegedly) increase absorption? Are we talking about a true bass trap now, or are we still talking about more typical broad-band absorption? Ethan?

Yes, our traps are more than just rigid fiberglass in an attractive and sturdy frame. All of our bass trap products have a limp-mass membrane behind the front fabric. This membrane serves two important purposes:

1) It increases absorption substantially at bass frequencies compared to plain rigid fiberglass or mineral wool the same thickness.

2) It is semi-reflective at mid and high frequencies. This lets you put enough of them into a room to truly tame the low end, but without over-absorbing higher frequencies as happens with plain rigid fiberglass and acoustic foam. I have 42 (!) RealTraps in my 25' by 16' living room, and the bass is fabulous yet the room is absolutely not dead sounding. Anyone here who's near me (Western CT) is welcome to come by to hear it in person.

Please understand that MiniTraps and MondoTraps are not tuned absorbers! The membrane does not function like the front of a tuned wood panel bass trap. The operation is still broadband, which is preferred for most rooms. The specific curve of absorption versus frequency in our bass traps sets them apart from all others IMO. This is an engineered product, not just 703 in a sack. Shocked

--Ethan

jimmyjazz

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 12:49:36 PM »

Well, I wouldn't say the shape of your products' on-wall absorption curves are all that different than for fiberglass or other broadband absorption.  A 1.67:1 ratio between max low-mid absorption and limiting HF absorption is a bit unusual, and I'm not going to get into your claimed values and test methods (again), but I'd say your products are broadband by most reasonable definitions of the word.

If you don't mind revealing a "trade secret", is your limp-mass membrane perforated?

Ethan Winer

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »

Jimmy,

jimmyjazz wrote on Wed, 31 October 2007 12:49

A 1.67:1 ratio between max low-mid absorption and limiting HF absorption is a bit unusual

The "on-wall" data is actually 4 inches off the wall, which is how we recommend mounting them, so a fair amount of mid/high frequency absorption occurs in the rear of the panel. If they were flat on the wall you'd see better the actual curve.

Quote:

If you don't mind revealing a "trade secret", is your limp-mass membrane perforated?

Not at all - it's solid, no holes.

--Ethan

franman

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 10:06:31 PM »

How's the popcorn holding out Glenn??  Twisted Evil
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

gullfo

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 07:39:52 AM »

between here and studiotips, its going fast... Laughing i'll make another batch...
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

franman

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 04:47:21 PM »

so.. you make a habit of 'setting up' our favorite contributors!! LOL... I love it! Glenn, I like your style! Very Happy
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

gullfo

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 08:03:01 PM »

actually, its a re-run, but i'm a huge fan  Twisted Evil
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

Genmusik

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 10:15:46 PM »

Real Traps are great! I have them all throughout our room and it made a huge difference.

trock

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 10:40:42 AM »

Just wanted to say that i had to build a small studio in my basment after alot of hoping i could do a major build over a garage (Glen was a huge help with alot of planning for this, and i will eventually get to that point but for now it is what it is)

that being said i had a small 10x18 room (the old in house one car garage) and i built it out and ended up going with GIK acoustics for my room. he price point, and the fact that Glen and Bryan from GIK were incredibly helpful with design ordering and shipping made the decision easy for me

that being said i ended up with 5 bass traps in the 5 corners (there is a small buildout of an entryway, that ended up giving me 5 corners)and 9 normal 2x4 panels for the walls. Bryan designed 2 different setups for me that really worked well for my room and limited space. the company couldn't have been nicer and the products arrived within a week and i actually got a call from Glen himself when i had a couple of questions to help me out with hanging the corners etc

i am sure most of the companies are very good but i couldn't have had a better experience than i had with GIK just this week. the products are also very well built and quite nice.

so for what i had to do and my budget GIK really came thru for me

Tim
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 19 queries.