R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waveburner questions  (Read 2229 times)

zakco

Waveburner questions
« on: October 24, 2007, 01:41:09 PM »

Hi there,

After making the transition to a Macpro after years on PCs I'm looking for something to replace wavelab and I've been considering Waveburner. Hell, you get Logic thrown in for the same price...

Anyways, I've tried to get info from Apple's website but they don't really answer a few things...

1. Does waveburner use an "object insert" approach like Samp or Wavelab's montage? This is great when using CPU hawgs like PSP mastercomp etc...

2. How stable is Waveburner when using 3rd party VST/AU plugins?

3. Will WB work with digidesign TDM hardware?

Any info would be helpful, thanks!

-Z-

jdg

Re: Waveburner questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:51:42 PM »

wavebummer is great with assembly/burning.  everything else is Sad (IMO)

but,

1. yes, you get "region" plugins and "mix" plugins, but you cannot record or use an analog loop for mastering.. just plugins....
2. its OK at best. the latest version that comes with Logic 8 is the best yet in this respect.
3. no idea.

edit: also, wavelab runs great in parallels, so no need to give it up completely.
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

zmix

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:20:26 PM »

I tend to use Waveburner only for final sequencing. It does have access to all third party plugins and most of Logic's internal plugins, however it does not allow access to the single most important plugin, the I/O insert..!! WTF?  So if you want to insert an analog processyou will need to do so in Logic...

Andy Krehm

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »

zakco wrote on Wed, 24 October 2007 13:41

Hi there,

After making the transition to a Macpro after years on PCs I'm looking for something to replace wavelab and I've been considering Waveburner. Hell, you get Logic thrown in for the same price...

Anyways, I've tried to get info from Apple's website but they don't really answer a few things...

1. Does waveburner use an "object insert" approach like Samp or Wavelab's montage? This is great when using CPU hawgs like PSP mastercomp etc...

2. How stable is Waveburner when using 3rd party VST/AU plugins?

3. Will WB work with digidesign TDM hardware?

-Z-

WB works just fine with Digidesign TDM hardware.

However, as zmix said, it has no inserts so no analog loop or outboard digital gear can be used with it.

It's an easy to use sequencing program that has everything you need to cut masters with exception of DDP creation.

I've used plug-ins with it (region based and buss) for the odd quick, down and dirty mastering jobs but did find my version to be very quirky with certain plugs, sometimes crashing for no apparent reason. However, I haven't tried the latest version yet.

If any one has, I would appreciate it if you could outline the differences/improvements so I can decide whether the upgrade is worthwhile.

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 03:43:10 AM »

zakco wrote on Wed, 24 October 2007 12:41

Yo Zak, pretty much agree with what the others MEs said.

WaveBurner works great for audio file assembly, lite editing, and burning masters.

It won't record audio, just playback and burn.

We've been using it for 4-5 years to cut masters.

Just bought another copy (Logic Pro 7.2) with authorization key on eB*y for about 100 bucks.

We never use plug-ins with it. Don't use the built in SRC... not good.

It should run great with Pro Tools HD hardware.

Very stable, but with an occasional crash, make sure you get version 1.2,

I've read the newest version 1.5 has some buggy issues.

For the heavy lifting (processing) you'll probably wanna use PT or Logic.

Here's a link to WB support page, with users guide.

http://www.apple.com/support/waveburner/

Good Luck - JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »

Nothing more to add really except to say yes, works fine with Protools HD.
I only use it to assemble the final mastered tracks, but it is very good for that, does CD text etc etc.

I don't use any plugins n Waveburner, but I do use its POWr dither when i cut the final CD masters

PB
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

zakco

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 01:32:08 PM »

Thanks everybody for all the great info...
I'm happy to hear that WB plays nice with TDM hardware, but I'm disappointed to hear that that 3rd party plugin support is not so good.

I'm not really a mastering studio, and I send as much work as I can to an ME much more qualified that I, but...at least 3/4 of the projects I record end up being mastered here at our shop using wavelab and plugins. Not ideal I know, but I do the best job I can with the tools I have...Anyways, stable, object oriented plugin processing is a must for me and the way I tend to work. I don't really like using PT for the processing part as it's insert-only approach to plugins doesn't allow enough instances of my favorite native plugins without constantly disabling/enabling them in order to a/b different tracks. Wavelab's montage is great for this.

JDG mentions that Wavelab works fine in Parallels...maybe I'll give that a try. Any idea if WL will work with TDM hardware?

-Z-

zakco

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 01:34:04 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Thu, 25 October 2007 00:43

Here's a link to WB support page, with users guide.

http://www.apple.com/support/waveburner/

Good Luck - JT

Thanks!

-Z-

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.