R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix Plus  (Read 9425 times)

NelsonL

Mix Plus
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:32:30 PM »

Hey all--

Thinking about the following as a possible rig:

Our current Dual G4, with the following new/used purchases:

Mix Plus Core

Mix Plus Farm

ADAT bridge

Lynx Aurora 16

I'm not too worried about 48k as a limitation--

So, I guess I'm wondering-- what's the downside?

Thx.

Liam

Podgorny

Re: Mix Plus
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:39:39 PM »

If you're mixing on a console, and never open anyone else's sessions, you'll be fine.

But if you're mixing ITB or wanting to open .ptf (version 7.x) files, you'll want an HD rig.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

NelsonL

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:59:08 PM »

Well, we have a Ghost-- but I do currently mix my problem children in the box for ease of recalls...

I guess I could keep my m-box handy and export regions?

We're almost never going to have their plugins anyway, and I find it best to strip other people's automation when I take something on. I can send them raw tracks if they need their own session settings.

I guess that'd be annoying--  we really don't get a lot of outside sessions. Although, we just shared a project with Aaron from Tiny Telephone and I believe he was actually rocking PT5.

Hmm---

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:28:50 PM »

adat bridge?

the lynx aurora will hook up directly to your farm cards, no?

or is that an HD only thing?

many people are still using mix+ rigs with sucess.

i'd worry more about the G4 keeping up with high track counts then anything.

NelsonL

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:17:49 AM »

If the adat bridge is unecessary then all the better. I thought the aurora host card thing was PT HD only though, but now I don't know why I thought that per se.

So high track counts might ba a problem? I was hoping that the TDM cards would cover that and actually allow me to get away with higher RTAS usage. My logic being that the system would be less strained than say a 32 track PTLE session.

TheViking

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:22:34 PM »

Liam,

Mix Plus is still very cool and you'd be surprised at who is still making amazing records with those old PT rigs.   If you have any specific questions about Mix Plus, give me a shout.

I think you will need that ADAT bridge if you want to interface that Lynx unit to a Mix Plus rig.   It was my understanding that the ProTools interface option for those converters is for HD users only.

Helpful hint...   rock PT5 on OS9 and milk that for as long as you can.   I think it sounds better overall and there are some plugs that are only available for this scenario that I also found extremely useful.   Lexiverb was awesome!

Good luck man!  
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

NelsonL

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 02:11:49 PM »

Cool-- thanks all.

Lexiverb is one of the plugins that Aaron was using, I know because he printed his effects when he did the rough mixes, which we were adding vox to.

I don't think either of our G4's will boot OS9 though.

Can anyone ball park current Mix Core and Mix Farm prices?

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »

I am still working personally on my Mix cubed TDM system, but of course have changed the I/O to the Apogee AD-X/DA-X conversion, which is many, many miles better than the Digi...better even than current HD.

I far prefer the older 888/24's for interfacing and functionality.

The only downside is if one wants to track @ higher than 48/24.

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 09:42:18 AM »

i think 96k sounds a bit better, but am not willing to sacrifice the processing power to do it.  doesn't seem like a fair trade off for me just yet.

24/48 is perfectly fine.

sorry liam, your track counts will be fine, i dropped back to my LE brain when commenting on the G4.

ADAT bridge is a must, you are correct.

the one bummer about mixing ITB with mix+ is you don't get any delay compensation, and i've noticed on my HD rig that it makes a HUGE difference in the drums.

just keep an eye on it.

why would OS9 make PT sound any better or worse?

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 12:30:54 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 26 October 2007 09:42

the one bummer about mixing ITB with mix+ is you don't get any delay compensation, and i've noticed on my HD rig that it makes a HUGE difference in the drums.

just keep an eye on it.

Yeah, I don't mix "in the box," so this is not an issue, unless I am using a plugin on something that needs its time integrity maintained...in that case, it's just "nudge 'til it works" time.

NelsonL

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 12:32:07 PM »

I was emailing a bit with a Mix Plus seller on CL who told me that I'd be able to run PT 6.4 and that it would support ADC-- are you saying that ADC evolved further subsequently, or that this dude was wrong or even blowing smoke?  

One of my fellow engineers here feels like it might make more sense to keep the LE rig and invest in a UA 2192 for OD's and printing mixes. I kind of think the Lynx is likely enough of an improvement for now, and would do transfers/tracking/mixes all quite well, but at 48K.

We could possibly swing a Mytek later and print to the masterlink at 96K.  

TheViking

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 07:13:29 PM »

One of the reasons I upgraded my Mix system to HD was for the ADC so, unless I was missing something, you have to be running an HD system in order to take full advantage of the ADC functions in ProTools.   That guy may be a little confused.   ADC is available in v6.4 software, but only to HD hardware users.

It was just my opinion J, but I felt that the v5 ProTools software sounded better than v6.   None of it is an issue for me now because IMO v7 sounds awesome!
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

j.hall

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 12:21:34 PM »

i was always told, and under the assumption, that ADC was HD only as well.

kevin, i thought you were talking about OS 9 itself made PT sound better.  nevermind, i understand now.

brett

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 02:47:13 PM »

ADC is only available if you use DP 4.52 on a 10.3.4 machine. If you go higher with the OS DP will have DAE errors. And DAE in DP isn't really the same thing. It's DP!

I currently run a mix plus on a dual 1.42 g4 on os 10.3.9. I had to revert quicktime back to 6 as quicktime 7 on os 10.3 will kill the PT drivers. Everything is smooth on 10.3.9 with PT 6.4.1. I use a apogee rosetta 800 connected directly to the PT cards via a x-digi-mix card installed in the rosetta 800. For 16 channels of I/O, the ad/da16x route would be best. And a mix cube is really needed if you want to do any kind of heavy bussing. I max out my mix plus TDM busses all the time. since you can't run RTAS on the aux's it can be limiting. I really think a PTLE system with the 48 ch upgrade on a new mac pro is more powerful than PT Mixplus. Neither have automatic delay compensation. Also, if you use any intensive plugs like soundtoys etc. you should add another farm.

I have been thinking of upgrading to a mac pro as I have really gotten into using Logic Pro. If you are in the market for a PT mix plus with a rosetta 800 front end, hit me up with a private message. I am in Los Angeles.    

Iain Graham

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 08:53:16 AM »

ADC is HD only, the mix cards don't have enough power to handle it.

I believe it was launched with 6.4, but the HD and mix versions of 6.4 are pretty different. 6.4 for mix is really a one off. Like the odd versions you get when new LE hardware comes out.

When my mBox2 came, I was on 6.8.* and that was mBox2 only. 6.4 mix is the same vibe. I also have a feeling it's now unsupported. It's been long enough.

At this point in time, I'd say don't buy a mix system. An HD1 and a Mac Pro is bags of power nowadays, if you can afford it. If not, an LE rig and a modernish mac will probably sound better, have more power, etc.
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.