R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: indie rock vs. major labels.  (Read 8554 times)

weihfool

Re: indie rock vs. major labels.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2004, 06:13:02 PM »

edited by me.  didn't read the whole thread and missed the point of the original question!  duh.

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2004, 12:46:19 AM »

I think that you have to do what needs to be done.
Editing/tuning...whatever you have to do to make a product as good as can be you do BUT there are guys who grid drums and auto tune everything before they even see if it needs it and they are the ones that give god solid production in today's world a bad name.
I agree with the comment someone made about making this piece of work as good as can be and a great indicator of how good you are
AND
More importantly in today's major label world ..SINGLES
I hate to say it but a bonified SINGLE will make any marginal recording and performance sound better.
For you to get past go these days, you have got to make sure that you have songs that can get on the radio in whatever chart/style your band is.
Modern rock or active rock or whatever they are, make sure you feel in your bones that you the goods before you shop your shit. It is sad in some ways but it is the cold hard fact.
Last night I went out and saw Slipknot and even those 9 freaks have some songs that are radio friendly,IF YOU CAN BELIEVE IT ...

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

brandondrury

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2004, 11:38:04 PM »

If you ask me, you already screwed up!

The band should go with their gut.  They should do whatever the hell they want.  The only people the musicians should be impressing is their fans.  The fact that you already second guessed yourself, means there is a problem.

If these guys are bad asses and their risk / profit assesment looks good enough, a label will pick them up.  I'm not sure how the risk to profit ratio can be altered with auto-tune and plastic drums.

I'm sure the clothes they wear and their hair styles make a bigger difference to the risk / profit ratio.  After all, the majority of people buying the cds are concerned more with image than music anyway.  

In closing, everyone should be what they want to be.  

Brandon

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2004, 11:00:27 AM »

brandondrury wrote on Fri, 14 May 2004 20:38

If you ask me, you already screwed up!

The band should go with their gut.  They should do whatever the hell they want.  The only people the musicians should be impressing is their fans.  The fact that you already second guessed yourself, means there is a problem.

If these guys are bad asses and their risk / profit assesment looks good enough, a label will pick them up.  I'm not sure how the risk to profit ratio can be altered with auto-tune and plastic drums.

I'm sure the clothes they wear and their hair styles make a bigger difference to the risk / profit ratio.  After all, the majority of people buying the cds are concerned more with image than music anyway.  

In closing, everyone should be what they want to be.  

Brandon

I agree with some of what you just said and I have to say that complete idealism and the attitude that of go fuck yourself if you don't like it , is just very naive and not realistic if you want to make money and have a career. You can keep your ball and play at home but I do not think that the outside world of the music biz is that forgiving these days. That being said I do agree that selling out is not the answer. For what it's worth, image has always been important. Everybody thinks the Sex Pistols were such anarchists but they had they're own image, even if contrary, to sell.

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

j.hall

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2004, 05:33:26 PM »

who said i'm second guessing anything

for all any of you know, the band doesn't even exist.....

this is a discussion that i voluntarily used myself as the "subject"

and i agree with ross.....on some level, no matter what, you have to play the game, or you can take your ball and bat and just go home.

the question still stands, do i take something that has (what i think to be) enormous marketability, and squeeze it through the tiny parameters of what is major label pop nowa days.  or do i keep, again what i think to be, a record full of life and great performances?

drumsound

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 03:35:06 AM »

Pack is up and send it to Brad!

natpub

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2004, 01:07:18 AM »

j.hall wrote on Sat, 15 May 2004 16:33

the question still stands, do i take something that has (what i think to be) enormous marketability, and squeeze it through the tiny parameters of what is major label pop nowa days.  or do i keep, again what i think to be, a record full of life and great performances?

Do both Smile  Print both ways, burn em, send one off first month to whoever, then send version 2 off again the next month Razz

buuuuuut, if you mean to press buncha units, then ya got me there--I guess do whatever is most original.
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

NelsonL

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2004, 07:37:14 AM »

j.hall wrote on Sat, 15 May 2004 14:33

If the record is full of life and great performances then its done or very very close.

Squeezing it through the "tiny parameters" of pop will fuck up the vibe. This is some subjective stuff-- but that's your job. You need to find the parameters that are wide enough for you to fit through with your soul intact.

Anyway, I think you're being socratic. I'm pretty sure you've got the answer to this nailed.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.