R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Absorbents on a large console's back ?  (Read 2172 times)

Jean Taxis

Absorbents on a large console's back ?
« on: October 22, 2007, 10:04:15 AM »

Since a large console seems to always create some difficulties, in a control room's acoustic, is it systematically better to have some absorbents on the back of the desk ?

Thanks for this excellent forum !

Jean

jetbase

Re: Absorbents on a large console's back ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:44:23 AM »

I don't know about systematically, but in my own control room I hung a sleeping bag, which happened to be the exact width of my console, from the back of the console, as I wasn't quite satisfied with the sound I was getting & I wanted to see what kind of difference it made. It made a very positive difference, so I left it there. I had not needed to do this in my previous two control rooms. Both of the previous control rooms had carpet on the floor between the monitors and the console, my current one does not. The monitors & the console are the same.

This perhaps does not answer your question, but I though I'd share my experience of putting (light) absorption on the back of a console in case it helps.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

franman

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:01:26 PM »

IMO there's nothing wrong with placing some absorption on the rear of the console, especially if its a large console. We've done this before and you can definitely hear it. Makes sense what Frigo says about the hard floor up front making the reflections in the front of the room more audible.. the HF stuff has more hard surfaces to bounce off of. I would experiment with it and see how it works... You have to be careful with hot consoles to not cover all the ventilation holes (slots).. this can cause a hole bunch of other problems!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Jean Taxis

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:31:49 PM »

Thanks for the replies,

I have a hard floor, except under the desk area where there is a carpet.
Actually, i have made some rough tests, and was a little amazed because it didn't show any improvement at all with absorption, unlike my hearing feeling.
I will do more tests, with different absorbents sizes (but NOT on the ventilation holes!  Smile).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.